Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pending Move
Re: Pending Move
And here I thought you had left the forum in "register to read" mode on purpose, until such time as it had content...--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Registered as Itsune9tl But waiting till Tapatalk borks Manytales00Any thing I write here may be used for content, unless used for personal gain,
or used against the Grand Duchy of Fenewick.
--
Never trust the Spell Checker, that correctly spelled word may not be the one you aimed for.
Manytales, I'll reassign your old posts at the new forums.

Rob -- I honestly don't remember everything I was thinking the first time I went through the settings.  I do know that I wanted to reproduce as closely as possible the register-to-post functionality we've had all these years, but apparently I didn't do it right.

Speaking of going through settings, I'm doing so now.  A few points of interest:
  • I've just maxed the message size -- they're now effectively unlimited.  
  • We currently have a maximum of 15 images and 5 videos per post, which I set based on past posts in the pics and vids threads.  If anyone thinks more is necessary, let me know.
  • I've set the "hot topic" threshold to 195 posts, as we've had here for several years.  But that was because of how obnoxious the alert graphic was.  If it's a bit calmer, I might set this back to 25.
  • The board is currently set to 25 posts per page, although I personally like to use 50 myself.
  • I've found and turned off the option that forces board visitors to login or register in order to read the board.
  • Oh, the swallow question?  "African or European?"  But I'll put Rob's longer version in as acceptable answers, too.
  • Nice to see that no one got any of the security questions incorrect (at least not so as the system logged an incorrect answer), but I'm kinda disappointed that only half of the folks asked about Tsukino Usagi answered the question.
  • I've added a few more for diversity, and they shouldn't be too hard.  I'm tempted to add "What is your quest?"/"I seek the grail", though.  Most folks likely to join the forums after we move should get it, and it'd be a rare spambot indeed that could answer it.
  • Where do people stand on smilies?  Keep, nuke, allow individual choice?
  • I have all forum censorship functionality turned off.  But the word filter function (aka the naughty word replacer) tempts me terribly to use it for comic purposes.
  • I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, since the website menu now points to the new forums instead of here, but it's been spidered multiple times already by five different outfits, including Google, Alexa and Bing.  And one hit just 8 minutes ago as I type this.
  • I'm going to have to change the user titles and their thresholds.  Top level, "Posting Freak", is hit at a mere 750.  Heh.  Some of you folks passed that over a decade ago.  And I find most of the titles vaguely derisive.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Registered under ECSNorway.--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:
  • The board is currently set to 25 posts per page, although I personally like to use 50 myself.
I use 40 on the SJGames forums, where the default is 10. I like 50. Mind you, I have a relatively fast connection and a relatively big screen.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
  • Where do people stand on smilies?  Keep, nuke, allow individual choice?
If it was up to me, individual choice.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
  • I have all forum censorship functionality turned off.  But the word filter function (aka the naughty word replacer) tempts me terribly to use it for comic purposes.
I'm not surprised. And I'm not surprised.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
  • I'm going to have to change the user titles and their thresholds.  Top level, "Posting Freak", is hit at a mere 750.  Heh.  Some of you folks passed that over a decade ago.  And I find most of the titles vaguely derisive.
How many levels do you need titles for?

(And should the top level - basically Bob and me - be called "Needs to get out of the house more often"?)--
Rob Kelk

Agree on the individual choice as to smilies, posts per page I've never found a reason to change.

And while I love the snerk of the proposed top level title, I also think it might be a bit to long....Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

[b]NO QUARTER!!![/b]

-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Well, "Hikikomori" is more than just vaguely derisive.--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:
How many levels do you need titles for?

(And should the top level - basically Bob and me - be called "Needs to get out of the house more often"?)

Actually, I can have any number of titles, at any levels.  The default set predefined in MyBB is:
  • Newbie (0 posts)
  • Junior Member (1)
  • Member (50)
  • Senior Member (250)
  • Posting Freak (750)

It seems to me that they have very low expectations of the average board.  Now, off the top of my head, I was thinking about something more like:
  • New Member (0)
  • Member (1)
  • Established Member (1000)
  • Senior Member (5000)
  • Doesn't Have Anything Better To Do (10000)
  • Been Here Since 2002 (17500)

Although your suggestion would make nice name for 20,000 or more posts...

Hm.  It just occurred to me that the user post counts probably won't be automatically populated.  I'll have to do that by hand after the content gets ported over.-- Bob
---------
Oh, and I can also define custom titles for individuals (like the one I have).  So if you really want one ... or deserve one... <evil grin>-- Bob
---------
robkelk Wrote:Well, "Hikikomori" is more than just vaguely derisive.

<snort>-- Bob
---------
rightn now your title is listed as registered User.Any thing I write here may be used for content, unless used for personal gain,
--
Never trust the Spell Checker, that correctly spelled word may not be the one you aimed for.
We probably want a level somewhere between 1 and 1000. Most of the forums where I know they have these levels have one between 10 and 25, presumably to distinguish the complete newcomers from the folks who've been around for a week or three, so it's become expected that something happen at the dozen-or-so-posts mark.

EDIT: Oh! How does "Registered Lurker" sound for the zero-post level? That would free up "New Member" for the 1-post level, and "Member" for the dozen-or-so-posts level.--
Rob Kelk

Just noticed a small change that we'll need to make. Once we've officially moved the forum, http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Template:DW_Troper will have to be updated.--
Rob Kelk

Manytales00 Wrote:rightn now your title is listed as registered User.
Mine?  I thought I'd set it to "Chief Screwball and Loon Wrangler", like on the old boards.-- Bob
---------
robkelk Wrote:Oh! How does "Registered Lurker" sound for the zero-post level? That would free up "New Member" for the 1-post level, and "Member" for the dozen-or-so-posts level.

I like that!-- Bob
---------
robkelk Wrote:Just noticed a small change that we'll need to make. Once we've officially moved the forum, http://allthetropes.org/wiki/Template:DW_Troper will have to be updated.
Good point.  Remind me when the time comes, if you don't do it.-- Bob
---------
let me copy & paste from the thread...

Bob Schroeck
Posts 20,168

Thankyou Registered User on your new title...

Of course it's possible that it hasn't processed through the Stack server yet...Any thing I write here may be used for content, unless used for personal gain,
--
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Oh, and I can also define custom titles for individuals (like the one I have).  So if you really want one ... or deserve one... <evil grin>

On the SJGames forums, my custom title is "Untitled" (awarded as part of a running gag, kept for the ironic value). I kind of like that...--
Rob Kelk

Manytales00 Wrote:let me copy & paste from the thread...
Bob Schroeck
Posts 20,168
Oh, here.  I thought it was on the new forums.  Yeah, I haven't gone looking to see where I change that here.-- Bob
---------
Manytales00 Wrote:Registered as Itsune9tl But waiting till Tapatalk borks Manytales00
... I'm sorry, I can't find Itsune9tl in the user list for the new forums.  Is there a typo somewhere?-- Bob
---------
Yeah, it Registered me in Tapatalk, and not Drunkards walk.
On the other hand this handle is apparently a Registered User and works ans seems to work in Tapatalk as well
> /shrugs< Computers are weird.Any thing I write here may be used for content, unless used for personal gain,
--
Update on my scripting adventures.  I was busy with other tasks most of the night, but I managed to sit down for a little bit with the code and figured out why I was getting a syntax error on the variable declaration.  (Protip:  don't end statements with a semicolon in MySQL.)  I found something weird in my T-SQL output while testing, though, and I need to figure it out before I go further.-- Bob
---------
For special titles involving post counts, how about, "They have seen the face of Yog Sothoth"?
Heh.  At how many thousands of posts?

And what about "The Black Goat with a Thousand Posts" at 1000, while we're at it? <grin>-- Bob
---------
Ohhhh, I dunno.  Some arbitrarily large number?  *Goes looking for that list you put up in the previous page...*

How about replacing 'Senior Member' with it?  'They have seen the face of Yog Sothoth' sounds a heck of a lot more fun than just 'Senior Member'.  :p