Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part X
Just checked Phabricator. They're aware and working on it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
The wikis are back. (At least the freebie wiki is.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I see from the monthly report that the long periods of 503 errors earlier this month were caused by disk-space issues. I replied by email to Reception123, asking whether Miraheze runs a free disk space monitor. (A Google or Yahoo search for "free disk space monitor freeware" turns up many hits.)

Running a monitor won't eliminate the 503s, but it'll alert sysadmins that there's an issue so that they can fix the problem more quickly.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Uh, yes, we have one of those.  https://icinga.miraheze.org/  We also run https://ganglia.miraheze.org/ so you can look at some of the stats.

However,  there aren't always staff around who can handle the disk space issues.  I think for some reason the current setup is you have to be on ops, because you need to upload the .sql file to the db server.  So I can't do it.  I could do it if it was as simple as "mysqldump -H db1 foowiki | mysql -H db2 foowiki" ... but we don't seem to be set up to do that.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Can someone please go and kick the categorizer?  It's wedged again.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(10-31-2017, 03:09 AM)Labster Wrote: Uh, yes, we have one of those.  https://icinga.miraheze.org/  We also run https://ganglia.miraheze.org/ so you can look at some of the stats.

However,  there aren't always staff around who can handle the disk space issues.  I think for some reason the current setup is you have to be on ops, because you need to upload the .sql file to the db server.  So I can't do it.  I could do it if it was as simple as "mysqldump -H db1 foowiki | mysql -H db2 foowiki" ... but we don't seem to be set up to do that.

Hmmmmm... Has anybody given any thought as to how to fix this single-point-of-failure?

(Oh, and does the monitor send out email alerts to the sysadmins when there's an issue?)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Speaking of alerts, a moment ago ATT started throwing "Internal Errors" like
Quote:[9221da26dee035c682c2d3c3] 2017-10-31 15:55:01: Fatal exception of type MWException
It looks like some pages initially come up, but I think they're cached, because attempting to edit them results in the error, as does attempting to redisplay the original page.

EDIT: Multiple reloads eventually get through the error. So maybe it's not being cached, but just being lucky.

EDIT 2: Aaaaaaaand whatever it was seems to be over now.

EDIT 3: Nope, I spoke too soon.
-- Bob

I see the wiki's back.

I also see the request for a Commission to enforce the Code of Conduct has passed, and they are now looking for members for that commission.

LulzKiller, are you interested in serving on that Commission? Of all of us here, you have the most experience with Miraheze's Code of Conduct.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I see that Reception123 nominated John to serve on the commission, and John accepted - despite his User page still saying he left Miraheze on May 25 2017.

Does anyone else "hear" big loud alarm bells going off?

So... Who from the ATT mod team am I nominating, to try to ensure this Commission doesn't become a star chamber? LulzKiller, you're still at the top of my preferred list. Bob, would you have the time?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I can't guarantee that I would, honestly, but if you need someone I'll volunteer.
-- Bob

In terms of the commission applying to myself, I have that type of nagging feeling, you know what I mean; the one where I feel the current... administration would resist every effort to a very big degree. I believe that this would cause a resurgence of old problems and an attempt to delegitimize ATT via the proxy of myself and their characterisation of myself and how ATT fits into the Miraheze sphere.

I will let myself be if that is the consensus (and in happier waters, would immediately accept as a compliment) but I imagine Bob will cause less of the clashing between me and the other person/s in this scenario.

I also think Reception123 statement of what a userpage has no impact on a nomination is probably not as stress-tested as you might believe. I would struggle to believe for example if a user had the userpage stating (and I am using a very extreme case example to illuminate my point) of "HOLOCAUST WAS EXAGGERATED, ALL JEWS MUST BE BANNED FROM MIRAHEZE, PEDOPHILIA IS LOVE", that they would be considered eligible to stand and not immediately admonished/banned as a troll.

I can forecast that the response of that nature would delve into the semantics of what eligible means as opposed to actually in the running, which can be understandable, but Reception in this instance was the one who nominated someone in permanent self-exile from the farm, with that user accepting, without publicly announcing the end of that self-exile and the impact that would have as opposed to a quiet acceptance of a nomination to a vital role in the community. This means that they are deliberately therefore nominating someone who wouldn't be seriously in the running and under the knowledge of doing so, should they make that argument.

I however know perfectly well that even with our extremely friendly reminder of the problem with a specific nomination, pragmatism will always have to be the sole source of action. They have claimed that the two with the most support will be the accepted ones. I know perfectly well that I would never be in the top two; especially compared with the more experienced and established meta individuals like Cnoc and Alvaro.

AFAIK/IIRC we don't have a problem with those two in any form, unless we can expand to three and then try to be the third times a charm, it's more the case of ensuring that no backdoors are left open; I think I make myself clear enough what I am stating.
I think I understand what you're saying.

I still think you would be the best choice for a nominee from our corner. I'm going to go ahead and put your name forward; you'll have to say there whether you accept the nomination.

...and I've made the nomination.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'll accept once the rest of ATT admins say yes to the idea.
It seems a little odd to call out someone's behind-the-scenes work when the position in question is a community-side one.

-Morgan.
Some people have Worm SIs with phenomenal cosmic power.
My Worm SI is Emma and Madison's therapist.
Lulz, I have no problems with you being our nominee.
-- Bob

I also agree with the nomination. This whole Meta situation is beyond me.

I see that John gave up his nomination. Blames ATT users for it too.
Geth said no, and I have a very strong feeling that considering only two can win; I will never be either number 1 or 2 compared with Cnoc and Alvaro, especially considering they take a very active role in Meta and other parts of Miraheze, and I don't; specifically because I did not want to escalate things further, and my own belief that we need to set our own paths separately at some point, but I've said that enough times.

John likes to see us as Satan and has done so since the start of the drama regarding the LP situation, due to the fact we were the main obstacle regarding him letting LP cause a security risk to the farm. He likes to play the victim card in that regard; letting him throw a tantrum publicly is his decision.

LP is currently trying to get unbanned for the umpteenth time, so you guys might want to add to the unanimous decision so far to not let him/her back.
Just so y'all know, with regards to the Code of Conduct board, I'm going to tell you the same thing I told the Miraheze staff: I'm not interested in it, as I really don't edit anywhere on Miraheze very much these days, so I'm going to stay out of the entire nomination process. I'm not voting on a staff representative, nor am I taking a position on who should be a community representative.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(11-03-2017, 08:05 AM)LulzKiller Wrote: Geth said no, and I have a very strong feeling that considering only two can win; I will never be either number 1 or 2 compared with Cnoc and Alvaro, especially considering they take a very active role in Meta and other parts of Miraheze, and I don't; specifically because I did not want to escalate things further, and my own belief that we need to set our own paths separately at some point, but I've said that enough times.

Would you be kind enough to decline my nomination of you, then?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-04-2017, 08:34 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 08:05 AM)LulzKiller Wrote: Geth said no, and I have a very strong feeling that considering only two can win; I will never be either number 1 or 2 compared with Cnoc and Alvaro, especially considering they take a very active role in Meta and other parts of Miraheze, and I don't; specifically because I did not want to escalate things further, and my own belief that we need to set our own paths separately at some point, but I've said that enough times.

Considering our friends at Meta like to read every post of the threads here, I think they already consider the nomination declined. Smile
(11-04-2017, 01:37 PM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(11-04-2017, 08:34 AM)robkelk Wrote:

Considering our friends at Meta like to read every post of the threads here, I think they already consider the nomination declined. Smile

Let's follow the process anyway. There's no evidence that anybody other than John reads this forum.

Hi, John! Why aren't you posting here? You've got an audience waiting to hear what you have to say.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I declined per your wishes.

John will likely interpret your request as further harassment or something similar, let's see if he tries to provoke you back.
I can't see how anyone could interpret an invitation to take part as harassment.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-04-2017, 06:15 PM)robkelk Wrote: I can't see how anyone could interpret an invitation to take part as harassment.

John refused to join yuku for that rationale. I was merely extrapolating from that.
Unless he's the new user who just registered very early this morning -- and I don't think that's likely -- he doesn't have an account here. And he's not likely to register. So his ability to respond is somewhat... nonexistent.
-- Bob