Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XII
The closest I could find is "All Your Colors Combined", and that isn't very close... I think you need to take this to the Trope Workshop, Bob.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Nope, neither of those really fit. I'd be surprised if we don't have this somewhere.

EDIT: Ninja'd there, Rob. Yeah, I'm thinking you're right. And sorry, Norgarth, somehow I missed your post the first time around.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Guys, keep an eye on a new user by the name of "Ghostly Drifloon". I've just had to delete a couple of his contributions because they were cut'n'pasted over from TVT.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I decided to clean up "Blind Idiot Translation" by running the "Plain English" text through Google Translate, choosing languages with different basic assumptions: English -> Japanese -> Russian -> Yiddish -> Zulu -> Hawaiian -> English

Original text:
Quote:Also see Japanese Ranguage and Asian Speekee Engrish, where jokes are made about odd pronunciations.

Result:
Quote:It also boasts Japan, where earthquakes play a unique role in the voice and place of Asia.

The fuck?

Yeah, that's going on the trope page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I see how the nouns moved around. "Odd" became "unique", "pronunciation" became "voice", and "jokes" somehow became "earthquakes". Jocular jostling, if you will.

Some of those language moves were worse that others. For grammar, you did: analytic -> agglutinative -> fusional -> fusional -> agglutinative -> analytic -> analytic.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(10-02-2018, 07:24 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, another "do we have this?" question.

Several people all take part in some critical action by taking hold of a weapon or object that is key to the action.

Examples:
  • The spirits of the Sailor Senshi all joining Usagi in casting through the Moon Wand at the end of season one of Sailor Moon
  • Harry and Ron joining Hermione in driving the basilisk fang through Riddle's diary in The Arithmancer
  • Skuld, Rin-rin and Kaolla Su throwing the Big Switch together in this "Girls, Girls, Girls" excerpt

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

I've got this prepped for the Workshop now, but before I put it up there, does anyone know any other examples?

Thanks.
-- Bob

And that's now up in the Trope Workshop as "We All Do It Together". Which could probably stand a better, or at least more clever, name.

Also, just a head's-up for anyone who wants to give it a look: I put another new trope candidate in the Workshop this morning -- the Bookie. I noticed that basically everywhere a page mentioned a bookie, if it had a link it was invariably to Loan Shark. Which while accurate in some cases, is not universal.
-- Bob

I thought I had cleaned up the Trope Workshop page template. "Bookie" has the Western Animation section before the Web * sections; did I flub putting all the media sections in alphabetical order?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Not your error -- I have a local copy of the page template which I use when I create pages offline. I didn't update it to match your changes, forgot about doing so entirely, actually.

Edit: And I've just corrected that.
-- Bob

Amusing example I've recently come across, I never bother to get an account for these things, so just dumping it here.

You've all heard of "Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies", right?
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
You don't need an account; you can edit ATT anonymously. We prefer that you have an account so we can give credit where credit is due, but it isn't actually required.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Another "Do we have a trope for it?" query:

"I may not want X, but it's my X that I don't want."

It's too long to be a trope name by itself, and I'm failing my "think cleverly" roll to come up with what it might be called if we have it.
-- Bob

Hypocritical Heartwarming ?

Quote:* In A Very Potter Musical, Draco insults Ginny, causing Ron To say "She may be a pain in the ass, but she's my pain in the ass."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, that's it. Thanks!
-- Bob

And we should probably fix that capitalized "To" in the example I quoted.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Ordinarily, I ignore the "speedy delete" template when it's on a sandbox page, but it's on this particular sandbox page 14 times when every other template on that page is there once.

I've left a note on that sandbox page's Talk page, asking whether the user really wants the page deleted. EDIT: He did, so I did.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hey, Bob, why did you move "Hurt/Comfort Fic" to "Hurt-Comfort Fic"?

Wikipedia lists "Hurt/comfort" as the correct capitalization and punctuation for the term.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Mainly to get it to stop appearing as a subpage of "Hurt", a band.
-- Bob

Okay, I've seen the list of the 100 best-loved books according to the PBS miniseries The Great American Read, and I've copied the list to ATT. I see that 86 of the 100 works already have Works pages.

What now?

The list is too big to put into a navbox, and I'm not familiar with 13 of the 14 redlinked works. (The one that I could take a swing at is #61 on the list - I read the book before seeing the movie - but I don't have time to do that any time soon, and that doesn't help the other 13 works.)

Should I turn this into a category?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sounds like a reasonable solution to me. Don't we already have categories for the 50 best cartoons, etc.?
-- Bob

Categories and descriptive pages both, yes.

I'll do that once I'm home from work.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, that's done, and a bit of cleanup has also been done.

Substantially more cleanup needs to be done - I lost track of how many times I added "[[Category:Multiple Works Need Separate Pages]]" to a page.

And we don't have pages for 20 of the novels or series (not 14; too many movies out there with the same names as books) - including Gone with the Wind. (A fair number of the authors don't have pages, either.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's times like this that I think about how ... impaired we are by having such a smaller user base. We don't have enough people with obsessions about the things we need covered or improved.
-- Bob

Exclamation 
URGENT!

All edits by InternetArchiveBot between  21:15, 25 October 2018 and 22:39, 25 October 2018 (inclusive) need to be undone

The pages were replaced with the HTML of the "login required" page.

Edits before and after those two timestamps appear to be good.

Setting the options to 500 edits on a page shows that there's between 1000 and 1500 of these edits.

EDIT: I managed to revert by hand everything before 21:23 before getting a mass of 503 errors. If somebody could start at the top of the list and work down, we'll meet in the middle.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I see somebody knows where to find the mass "undo" button. Thanks.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown