Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any "like to cook" foodies here?
RE: Any "like to cook" foodies here?
Last week's radio recipe is Corn and tofu fritters with autumn vegetables and cilantro-red onion relish. Contains zucchini, so let me know whether it's any good, please.

(If you're in Ottawa on Monday, you can try it as part of a fundraiser for a charity that helps get homeless youths off the streets. Details at the same link.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Are you entertaining and want to set out a selection of food for your guests without serving a meal? Here's how to build a charcuterie board like a pro. The page has a 24-minute video.

Perhaps the most useful piece of advice in the article:
Quote:Do NOT overcrowd the board. It's important to leave enough room for cutting and signage.

Want some vegetarian options for the board? Vegan Vibes board with Cashew Ricotta Cheese

A few more recipes, in no particular order (except that the sweets are at the end):
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I don't know why I didn't think of looking at the local farmers' market website before now. A localvore can eat quite well in Ottawa.

Buried in their blog:
And 56 more recipes on their main Recipe page, including:

I also don't know why I didn't think of looking at the cooking school's website - especially considering it's a branch of Le Cordon Bleu school. They like sharing recipes for sweets, but it isn't just desserts.

Selections from their recipe list:

Still waiting for last week's radio recipe...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I have lost track of how many culinary awards Joe Thottungal has won. Now, he's opening his second restaurant in Ottawa - one where the food is served in a traditional Indian style called "Thali" that I wasn't aware of. (That's also the name of the restaurant.) Basically, you eat what's put in front of you; the platter contains portions of all seven of the day's recipes. No menus here - your choice is whether you walk in the door or not.

Speaking of recipes, Mr. Thottungal has shared two of his for last week's radio recipes: Chicken pepper roast and High range vegetable curry

7 Canadian snacks you can't get in the U.S. and the backstory on why:
  • Ketchup-flavour potato chips
  • Smarties (the USA has M&Ms instead, but they aren't quite the same)
  • Jos Louis (almost a red velvet snack cake - older than the American "Ding Dong")
  • Coffee Crisp (think a coffee-flavoured Kit Kat that you can't snap apart)
  • Big Turk (kinda-sorta a Turkish Delight, the way a Big Mac is kinda-sorta a steak)
  • Pink cream soda
  • Nanaimo Bars (predates the New York Bar and the London Fog) - and here's a recipe for them on the City of Nanaimo website

Oh, and Kinder Surprise chocolates, which are European but available in Canada. You'd think the country that invented the "toy surprise in every pack" Cracker Jack wouldn't have a problem with toy surprises in junk food, but that's the reason why you can't get Kinder Surprise in the USA.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Cracker Jack doesn't put the toy inside the bit you eat, though. You're not going to bite down and find yourself crunching on plastic.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
They used to...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The toys in Cracker Jack may be mixed in with the popcorn and peanuts, but they're not physically in any of the clusters. You can stick your hand in the box, and identify the toy by touch. In fact, when I was a kid, I used to do that regularly and was often disgruntled by how close to the bottom of the box they ended up.
How to make your food last longer and better in the fridge

And one tip that isn't in that article: Don't put chocolate in the fridge at all. (Chilling it too much separates the cocao fats, giving the chocolate those white streaks.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is for one of the basics: bread. Specifically, focaccia.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just in time for the Grey Cup: Buffalo Cauliflower with Blue Cheese Dip

Vegetarian but not vegan. The blue cheese dip includes yogurt.

Pigs in a Blanket

Not vegetarian by any stretch of the definition.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Never mind the yogurt, the blue cheese makes it obviously not vegan.
Should have mentioned that there were two dip recipes included - both with yogurt, only one with blue cheese.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Your meals are speeding up climate change, but there's a way to eat sustainably - five ways to reduce your dietary carbon footprint that don't involve going vegan.

Last week's radio recipe did go vegan: Vegan gingerbread cookies make the holidays festive — and inclusive (The ingredient list mentions "aquafaba (chickpea water)" - that's the liquid that canned chickpeas are packed in.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's recipe is very sweet: Old-style apple pie with new-style sauce

Egg-washed crust with lard, cinnamon and nutmeg in the filling, and salted caramel sauce.

One tip in the radio broadcast: keep very close track of the temperature and the amount of stirring you give the sauce. If you don't, you might end up with salted caramel candy.

Since it's mid-December: 15 books for the foodie on your list
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Happy birthday to me! Here's the small-batch recipe I use for birthday cupcakes, since I can hardly send everyone some myself.

Equipment: six-cup baking pan, 2 cup measuring cup, cupcake liners, teaspoon, tablespoon, cooling rack, frosting knife
Optional: rubber spatula to scrape out batter, something to melt margarine in

Preheat oven to 250 F

In the measuring cup:

3/4 cup of mixed brown and white sugar
1 cup flour - I use King Arthur brand "all purpose" white flour
1/2 tsp baking powder - probably 1/4 will do if it's fresh
3 tbsp cocoa powder
pinch of salt

Mix dry ingredients before adding:

~1/3 stick of margarine, melted, or a good splash of vegetable oil
1 "large" egg, or half if you can manage it without waste
dribble of vanilla
Enough milk for the batter to pour easily

Mix until smooth, then pour into the cupcake pan with paper liners. Bake until it smells done and a fork comes out clean - an hour-ish? Smells very little until it's getting close.

Add frosting with a generous dribble of peppermint oil and pink food coloring when cool.

For non-birthday cupcakes, one tablespoon of cocoa powder can be switched with cinnamon for a spicier taste that goes well with vanilla or lemon frosting.

It is possible (and much faster) to cook this in a microwave, though the result will probably be a little rubbery, and using a (microwave-safe, obviously) wide, flat bowl is recommended over the measuring cup. It will probably be necessary to flip the partly-cooked mini-cake over (or into a second bowl) and continue in order to get it all cooked without overdoing the edges, and to soak the bowl(s) afterwards to get them clean without too much scrubbing. The measuring cup should be easy to clean with a rinse or two before using the wash cloth.
--
‎noli esse culus
No radio recipe last week - they sold a cookbook to raise funds for charity instead.

In its place, here's a recipe for chocolate bark
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"British Indian Restaurant" style curry

Quote:I’ll admit that this is a simplified version of a recipe that will horrify fans of Indian food. It may even horrify “BIR" purists who already know this method. But Lester’s rules must be observed: this must be completed quickly when not entirely sober.

Quote:This requires very hot oil and very intense heat, so don’t be stupid and scar yourself for life. And if you do, we don’t want pictures.

Quote:You don’t have to be drunk to cook this (although it helps).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
A quick "technique" tutorial: Art of the heart: Barista Brian shows us how to pour the perfect latte
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Some goodies from this documentary (that's available from that page in Canada only):
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Merry Christmas! Here's a recipe for that traditional Christmas staple, injera.

How to make the Ethiopian flatbread injera
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is for egg bread.

Apparently, the bakery is having trouble finding bakers with skills more advanced than "thaw the dough, put it in a pan, and bake it".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Cocktails "for the Ladies from the National Women's Show in Ottawa" from a reasonably-local craft distilery that I just discovered. (Their "moonshine" is unaged rum; in Ontario, sugarcane liquor has to be aged at least one year before it can be sold as "rum".)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is winter roasted radicchio and roquefort panzanella salad.

Includes recipes for brown butter vinaigrette and croutons.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If you want this cheese, you're just going to have to come to Ottawa to buy it. (Apologies for the slightly-fuzzy photo.)

.jpg   Ottawa cheese.jpg (Size: 43.97 KB / Downloads: 58)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
People who've read the Sten series by Allan Cole and Chris Bunch may recall that they sometimes devoted passages to the description of various recipes.  This one was called "Angelo Stew," the Eternal Emperor saying he'd learned it from an "old Mex pirate."  He claimed it would sober up two very drunk men (Sten and himself).  I haven't tried to prepare it myself; just reading the description burned my tongue.  

I'm sorry, but no more precise measurements or specifications of time or temperature were given:

Sautée thinly sliced chorizo and a heaping handful of garlic in Thai-pepper-marinated olive oil.
Quarter four or five onions and about the same number of tomatoes.  Heat some more Thai-pepper-marinated olive oil with a little sage, savory, thyme, and rosemary; glaze the tomatoes and onions in this.  Shut off the heat under the chorizo at about this time.
Chunk about a pound of bleeding red beef.  Roll the chunks first in flour, then in hot-pepper seeds.  Start heating the chorizo again.  Dump in the beef chunks; stir around until the beef gets a nice brown crust.
Dump the beef and chorizo into a larger pan.  Add the onions and tomatoes.  Throw in a handful of superhot red peppers, a glug or three of rough red wine, many glugs of beef stock, and a big clump of cilantro.  Put the lid on the pan and turn the heat on high.  As soon as it comes to a boil, turn it down and let it simmer for a while.

The Emperor served it with fresh-baked sourdough bread and newly-churned white butter.

Quote:Sten swallowed. The Angelo stew savored his tongue, and then gobbled down his throat to his stomach. A small nuclear flame bloomed, and his eyes teared and his nose wept and his ears turned bright red. The [extraterrestrial booze] in his bloodstream fled before a horde of hot-pepper molecules.
The Court of a Thousand Suns, Chapter Four

-----
I finally quit drinking for good.  Now I drink for EVIL!