Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XII
After some thought, I say delete outright.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Thanks, Bob. That was the way I was leaning when I asked.

Hitting the "nuke" button...

EDIT:... and redirecting "meta-humor" to "w:Meta-joke#Jokes about jokes ("meta-humor")" because the link is used on All The Tropes:No Real Life Examples, Please.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Do we have a trope for "Venn diagrams that have two circles with no overlap"?

xkcd just did one, and I know it isn't the first I've seen.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
You Venn Some, You Lose Some
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Good name for a new trope, that.

Guys, we may want to pay attention to Jade Shauni for a while again. (S)he seems to have misunderstood something about our copyright status vis-a-vis TVT, and just asked me to approve a change of page image (on Ridiculously Cute Critter) because she was, and I quote, "trying to fix this page because of the Other Tropes' wiki's copyright stuff". She appears to have gotten it into her head that somehow our images are in violation of copyright, or something. While I had no problem with this particular one, we may want to keep an eye on her in case she starts replacing images wholesale out of some mistaken belief that we're legally obligated to do so.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Are all Venn diagrams an example of Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs? If so, non-overlapping Venns are an aversion.
We're only a few days from deleting Recap pages that don't have recaps, as promised a few weeks ago...

Do any fans of these works have time to write some recaps? None of them have recaps on Wikipedia (save for the worse-than-useless one-sentence recaps for RWBY).
  • The Amazing World of Gumball
  • Bob's Burgers
  • Camp Camp
  • Friendship Is Witchcraft
  • Gunnerkrigg Court
  • RWBY
  • Schlock Mercenary
(EDIT: List updated as of 13:05 ET December 29.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Do we have any use for this template?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Nothing comes to mind, but that just means I can't think of one.
-- Bob

Right now, Goo Monster is adding one-sentence summaries and deleting the Needs Recap template to recap pages he created, but this is not enough for a recap page.
Thanks. I've reverted the changes that aren't proper recaps, with the reason "A single sentence is not a recap."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
YKTTW somebody who usually asks the questions ends up being asked the questions instead? What do we call that?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Can anybody think of any examples for this Trope Workshop page?

I don't want to put in the work of cleaning up the grammar if this is something that's Too Rare To Trope.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The only thing I could think of was Kyon's room in the Haruhi Suzumiya movie, but that turns out to be a subversion anyway as it's based on a real room in the real hospital they used as the setting, and it's one of several.

I say go ahead and delete the damned page. I warned Beta Log 86 about starting trope candidates with no examples a week and a half ago, and since he can't be bothered to even list whatever suggested the trope to him, and no one else has any good examples, it deserves nuking.
-- Bob

On a completely different track entirely, am I the only one who's grown tired of Ecclytennysmithylove's habit of saving her edits on every other keystroke? We really need to teach her how preview works.
-- Bob

(01-06-2019, 09:11 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: The only thing I could think of was Kyon's room in the Haruhi Suzumiya movie, but that turns out to be a subversion anyway as it's based on a real room in the real hospital they used as the setting, and it's one of several.

I say go ahead and delete the damned page.  I warned Beta Log 86 about starting trope candidates with no examples a week and a half ago, and since he can't be bothered to even list whatever suggested the trope to him, and no one else has any good examples, it deserves nuking.

I'll give folks one more week... but I've tagged the page with this:

{{delete|This page has existed for two weeks but still has zero examples. If it still has fewer than three examples on January 13, it will be deleted.}}

EDIT: And Touma's hospital room in A Certain Magical Index doesn't count, either - he's in it often enough, but when he isn't, Mikoto sometimes ends up there after battles, so it isn't "his" room.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-06-2019, 09:12 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: On a completely different track entirely, am I the only one who's grown tired of Ecclytennysmithylove's habit of saving her edits on every other keystroke?  We really need to teach her how preview works.

Can we set a preference to allow only one edit every 120 seconds? As far as I can see, this would affect only Ecclytennysmithylove.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We must have some kind of "flood protection", like this board has. I'll have to go look. Or maybe Brent or Geth know off the top of their heads...
-- Bob

Hm. Before I go through the trouble of writing up a candidate, what do people think about a censorship trope called "Think of the Advertisers", which documents censorship imposed for fear of running afoul of one's advertising server's standards. While TVT itself is a great example, I was actually inspired by Tumblr's castration of itself last month to satisfy the Apple Store.
-- Bob

(01-06-2019, 10:17 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: We must have some kind of "flood protection", like this board has.  I'll have to go look.  Or maybe Brent or Geth know off the top of their heads...

There is in fact such a setting -- $wgRateLimits -- but I don't think I have access to where it's set to change it.
-- Bob

You can ask for that configuration to be added in phabricator.
Okay, thanks. I'll do that as soon as I read through the man page and figure out exactly what to ask for.
-- Bob

(01-06-2019, 10:23 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Hm.  Before I go through the trouble of writing up a candidate, what do people think about a censorship trope called "Think of the Advertisers", which documents censorship imposed for fear of running afoul of one's advertising server's standards.  While TVT itself is a great example, I was actually inspired by Tumblr's castration of itself last month to satisfy the Apple Store.

As long as we don't word it as a Take That to the Other Tropes Wiki, I see no issues.

(01-07-2019, 08:05 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, thanks. I'll do that as soon as I read through the man page and figure out exactly what to ask for.

As long as you're checking, is there a second setting to allow a particular role to ignore rate limits, the way there is for a particular role to ignore triggering the CAPTCHA? If yes, that should also be added - and granted to rollbackers and administrators so that spamfloods and libel can be reverted quickly.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-07-2019, 09:35 AM)robkelk Wrote: As long as we don't word it as a Take That to the Other Tropes Wiki, I see no issues.

Cool. I'll start drafting it up. Can anyone offer a good third example?

(01-07-2019, 09:35 AM)robkelk Wrote: As long as you're checking, is there a second setting to allow a particular role to ignore rate limits, the way there is for a particular role to ignore triggering the CAPTCHA? If yes, that should also be added - and granted to rollbackers and administrators so that spamfloods and libel can be reverted quickly.

I'll see. I didn't look for anything like that, and the man pages are terribly specific.
-- Bob

Argh. We need to reconcile Subculture and Subcultures. How do we end up with almost-identical pages like this? (Yes, I know... both came from TVT. How did no one notice them before?)
-- Bob