Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another reason to not use Chrome
RE: Yet another reason to not use Chrome
(05-04-2019, 02:19 PM)Labster Wrote: it allows Mozilla to invade your computer and fix things like an overlord.

I know what you were going for here but all I can see is

(non-embedded) (skip to 2:24 if it doesn't automatically start there, everything before that is setting up the actual action)
--
‎noli esse culus
(05-04-2019, 02:19 PM)Labster Wrote: Yeah, if you have Normandy enabled in about:config, it allows Mozilla to invade your computer and fix things like an overlord.  As I said recently in another thread, the world is becoming a little bit more like Bubblegum Crisis every day.

I only enabled it for long enough to get my extensions back, and no longer.

There are people who, hearing about how to get the fix quickly, likely uninstalled Firefox immediately at that, because too many places have used data sent back for ill, and it's not worth the risk to get the fix at all.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
I think I've used Firefox since I first got the internet and the PC I had wouldn't actually run IE6.

I'll cling onto it. A cert' SNAFU is an easy thing to happen. When work these days is waffle-stomped through the drain to keep up even critical things somethimes get splattered just from overwork - or someone esetting the calendar reminder a day too late (I've done that).

I'm a little less hesitant about Mozilla simply because there's less of a conflict of interest there. If it's a way of helping keep firefox free and open I don't particularly mind - in lieu of contributing code I can at least let there be some telematics by way of contribution to the project. I uused to run the test pilot stuff when I had a Linux install going.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
There aren't really any better choices than Firefox. Tor Browser is a fork thereof, and it's perhaps a little too paranoid. But if you're trying to avoid fingerprinting and keep a modern browser running, your choices are:
* Chrome, produced by the world's largest advertising company, that wants you to login to the browser itself
* Edge, which is produced by a company that advertises to you inside its operating system, and doesn't run outside Windows
* Safari is gonna be a pass, because they're falling behind and don't have a good extension system
* Brave, where the entire model is to control access to which advertisements you see
* Firefox, a nonprofit that is primarily supported by competitors who sell advertising and pay to be the primary search engine in each region

The original problem seems like an honest mistake, but the fix method seems surprising. They built a system that allows them to insert arbitrary security certificates into the browser, and turned it on by default. It feels like the kind of thing that could be leveraged by a nation state.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Well, it's the least-worst.

I did use Opera for a time since it used toi have email and Usenet in one box but that was a...... long time ago.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

(05-04-2019, 07:44 PM)Dartz Wrote: I did use Opera for a time since it used toi have email and Usenet in one box but that was a...... long time ago.

I used Opera as well once... and then they dropped the bookmarks menu (the constant drive to ultra-minimize software interfaces annoys me to no end), and I stopped using it.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
I cant even remember that far back. I stopped using opera simple because I stopped - with no real cognitive or intentive reason.

Mmm.

I dunno. Speaking of tablet devices, though, can anyone recommend an adblocker for Safari for iOS that doesn't require one to root the machine?
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
(05-04-2019, 07:27 PM)Labster Wrote: The original problem seems like an honest mistake, but the fix method seems surprising.  They built a system that allows them to insert arbitrary security certificates into the browser, and turned it on by default.  It feels like the kind of thing that could be leveraged by a nation state.

And that's the clue that I needed.

Instead of opening the browser up to surveillance, go into about:config and set xpinstall.signatures.required to false. I did this and uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger immediately re-appeared on my toolbar. Mind you, I also have Options|Security set to warn me if sites try to install add-ons.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
The browser situation for me has become quite frustrating.
I have left my home system running Waterfox 56.2.2 after I found that more recent versions broke access to a large number of sites (boingboing.net, fanfiction,net, tthfanfic.org, etc.)
I would change back to Firefox, but I cannot find an equivalent Add-On to SaveAsFilename. Does one exist? I still need to have Java at work so I am stuck there.
(blows dust off thread)

The Register: Bad news: 'Unblockable' web trackers emerge. Good news: Firefox with uBlock Origin can stop it. Chrome, not so much
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Waterfox sold to System1, an ad company that bought a majority of Startpage

Since Kilroy mentioned Waterfox, just know that it's like Chrome now, belonging to an advertising company.

And the new Edge based on Chrome, "Edgium", is out now, which means you can install Edge on Mac and Linux now. Reminds me of the good old days when Macs shipped with IE 5.5.
Yeah, Microsoft hasn't done enough to convince me that their Chromium derivative is worth trying, even on my brand spanking new computer build. Still on Firefox and Pale Moon. Chrome has NOT been installed on this box, and won't ever be installed at this point.
..... I've never not used Firefox. Maybe for a week or two back in 2006 when I first got online with a PC - just long enough find out out what Firefox was, that it'd work on Windowsd 98 (SE) and that it was better than internet exploder.

It still is.

I never really knew why Chrome was worth using. It never really felt worth switching. Especially with FF having better addons.

I never switched to Chrome either, but there was a good five years where it was much faster than Firefox. In particular, V8 was faster than SpiderMonkey. This was less of a concern to those of us adblocking anyway, not loading all those tracker scripts. Especially once we had a fast blocker in uBlock.

And we’re the sort of people who hang out on forums and not use massive React apps like The Facebook, just sayin.
I was only using Chrome to deal with YouTube and with sites that don't play well with Firefox + my combination of blockers/security fixes. I now use YouTube in Firefox, and Pale Moon for the sites that don't like my Firefox configuration.
I still have Chrome, but I use it for one thing and one thing only: Write or Die.

https://writeordie.com/

It doesn't quite render properly in Firefox, with elements not properly resizing and such. But it looks perfect in Chrome.

Not saying it's a good thing - this is likely because the guy hasn't updated his nifty bit of writer's kit for quite some time now.
oh snap. I moved to Chrome because it was what came with my laptop and desktop. You all are saying I am buggered?? Shite.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
The Register: Google: You know we said that Chrome tracker contained no personally identifiable info? Forget we ever said that

Quote:The Register has no reason to believe the X-client-data header was ever used to track and identify people across websites – Google has better ways of doing that. Concern about the identifier has more to do with insufficient disclosure, inaccurate description, legal compliance, and the possibility that it might be abused for identifiable tracking.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
List of well-known web sites that port scan their visitors

It turns out websites like Citibank and Chick-Fil-A port scan your computer when you visit their website, so they can build a profile.  Do you run TeamViewer or VNC and that sort of thing.  Probably not trying to read your file sharing, yet.  But the money quote is at the end:

Quote:If you find these port scans to be intrusive and a privacy risk, you can utilize the uBlock Origin adblocker in Firefox to block them.

In our tests, uBlock is unable to block the port scans in the new Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome as the extension does not have adequate permissions to uncloak the DNS CNAME records.

Yet another reason to not use Chrome.  I know it's like beating a dead horse at this point, but still.