Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safe and Sound
Safe and Sound
This is one of those really useful songs that Doug can't use on his own. "Safe and Sound", by Capital Cities, from the album "In A Tidal Wave of Mystery"

Music video by Capital Cities performing Safe And Sound. (C) 2013 Lazy Hooks, LLC Under Exclusive License To Capitol Records, LLC

lyrics

If Doug plays it alone, it fizzles - "We're safe and sound", not "I'm safe and sound". But when there's somebody beside him (I suspect he'd prefer Maggie, or Makoto, or in a pinch Eimi, because of the line "I could show you love"), then together they get near-perfect protection from physical and social attacks. And they can't be separated - "In a tidal wave of mystery / You'll still be standing next to me"

They also can't be moved against their will - "Hold your ground / We're safe and sound". However, if the person Doug is with wants to be someplace else, they both go there. (Doug doesn't have a say in that.)

Doug also gets an uptick to his luck, at the expense of the person he's with getting a downtick to his or her luck.

The person Doug is with is in the driver's seat for the rest of the effects, which are variable within some limits: "I could lift you up / I could show you what you wanna see / And take you where you wanna be / ... / I could fill your cup / You know my river won't evaporate"
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Safe and Sound
I mentioned this one a few years back, but gave it a possibly-too-effective effect, though making it only work if Doug and any subjects are not making attacks might bring it into line:

Effect: Doug and chosen targets inside his AoE become completely invulnerable to harm for the duration of the song, but have a variety of strange visual manifestations applied, randomly per subject. They my lose all colour to be in shades of grey or sepia like an old photograph, be followed by a rainbow afterimage, have a thick border of some neutral colour appear around them like a cardboard cutout, etc. They can also dance with great skill and perfect coordination, if they can hear the music (the "sound" part of Safe & Sound) and they choose to.

Very useful to get a group of civilians out of a danger zone, as Doug can simply start it up and call for them to dance with him, then lead the group away at best across-the-floor speed and only have to worry about the ones who refuse to dance having trouble with rough ground or getting trampled - and any dancer who helps them may bring them into step as part of the choreography, though they're free to stop dancing again if they're a real party-pooper.

This would be awesome to foil a Death Eater attack by the way. So very Doug
--
‎noli esse culus
RE: Safe and Sound
(03-17-2020, 10:41 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: I mentioned this one a few years back, but gave it a possibly-too-effective effect, though making it only work if Doug and any subjects are not making attacks might bring it into line:

Effect: Doug and chosen targets inside his AoE become completely invulnerable to harm for the duration of the song, but have a variety of strange visual manifestations applied, randomly per subject. They my lose all colour to be in shades of grey or sepia like an old photograph, be followed by a rainbow afterimage, have a thick border of some neutral colour appear around them like a cardboard cutout, etc. They can also dance with great skill and perfect coordination, if they can hear the music (the "sound" part of Safe & Sound) and they choose to.

Very useful to get a group of civilians out of a danger zone, as Doug can simply start it up and call for them to dance with him, then lead the group away at best across-the-floor speed and only have to worry about the ones who refuse to dance having trouble with rough ground or getting trampled - and any dancer who helps them may bring them into step as part of the choreography, though they're free to stop dancing again if they're a real party-pooper.

This would be awesome to foil a Death Eater attack by the way. So very Doug

I can see those sorts of effects if Doug's first exposure to the song was from the video, but they aren't supported by the song itself...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown