Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Fanfic Recommendations Go Hawaiian
RE: Fanfic Recommendations Go Hawaiian
Sadly, not that Twisted Path.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
... ow. Dammit Bob you hit me right in the nostolgia.
... my immediate thought as well. This isn't the thread to speculate on how Darren/Darlene would fare as DADA professor, but it's only a few lines away in the forum Wink
--
‎noli esse culus
Interesting.... I assume we are all musing about https://jusenkyo.fandom.com/wiki/Twisted_Path

But the same google search I wrastled with showed at least two others (one naruto, and one I'm not sure WHO all) using that title as well

Huh! https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/...tw1kIZPygg
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Indeed, that is the Twisted Path -- featuring self-insert Darren "Twister" Steffler -- to which we're all referring. Iconic, if not exactly well-written, crossover SI fic that's responsible for inspiring people to write a lot of other fics (like Legion's Quest, Ah! My Brother, A Wolf in Crisis and a little thing we around here like to call Drunkard's Walk).
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Here's a Worm/Portal crossover I've been enjoying lately: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...t-60581740
Taylor is transported to an AU version of the Aperture Science facility, and shenanigans ensue.
Shenanigans do indeed ensue, and it's a good story. But it doesn't hold back on the horrifying implications of Portal's setting either.
(03-29-2020, 04:12 PM)Rajvik Wrote: I don't know if it was posted previously or not, but The Weaver Option, where Worm meets WH40K,
and 40K needs some serious help dealing with the likes of Taylor Hebert

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12115800/1/...ver-Option

I'm going to be honest. I read the first chapter, and it's a good and interesting premise, but the guy needs a much better beta than the one he's got now. As is, the story's very difficult for me to read due to the often awkward sentence structure, and the occasional obviously wrong word choice that makes a sentence unintelligible.

(03-31-2020, 03:00 PM)hazard Wrote: Shenanigans do indeed ensue, and it's a good story. But it doesn't hold back on the horrifying implications of Portal's setting either.

Which is a big part of the draw, in my opinion.
Nift, the author does improve, or maybe their beta does, i don't know. i honestly didn't rec it until i had caught up with it at chapter 37, that said, i'm not all that conversant on 40K, so i was getting a lot of laughs from various reactions to things that us as readers would see as shout outs
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Something lighthearted by Jem Doe.
Wait, what?
Parody/Humor - [Daphne G., Harry P.] Hermione G., Ginny W.

Quote:Harry probably shouldn't use an Unforgivable on an Auror. Probably.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Some guy name Drakensis or something started a BattleTech AU. I'm sure it'll be bad because it's not like he has a track record of writing great BT fiction or anything

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...t-65850585
(04-06-2020, 01:32 AM)Bad Moon Wrote: Some guy name Drakensis or something started a BattleTech AU.  I'm sure it'll be bad because it's not like he has a track record of writing great BT fiction or anything

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...t-65850585

It's a co-production between old!Drakensis and young!Drakensis. Please direct all complaints to the latter and praise to the former.
EDIT: dammit, posted to the wrong thread
I shall!

It says something about me that I hope you get the Clan steamroller going and just annihilate the BT fandom darling the Lyran Commonwealth. Getting the average BT grog to say anything positive about the Clans while also preempting the normal Stiener/Davion circle jerk that happens on SB/SV threads is a relief.
Well, it's hard to say anything positive about a society of inbred moroms that think science is scary and stupid, that engineers should be oppressed, yet somehow has plot-wank based bonuses to technology... And that's just the inner sphere superpowers. We don't even want to start on the Clans...
i can say two nice things about the Steiners and the Davions

first, at least neither one is the Cappellan Confederation (Chicoms in space, no thank you)
second, neither one has as big a backstabbing fetish as the Free Worlds League
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Quite frankly, if I was going to live anywhere in the Battletech universe, as Joe Ordinary Citizen, the Lyran Commonwealth would be where I'd choose to be. That or Terra, even if Com*. Because, like Churchill said of Democracy, they are "the worst... except for everyone else".
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...on.841541/

Forgotten, Forsaken - Post GM Worm/Kancolle crossover. Taylor is shot and the Abyss grabs her soul. The first chapters are rough in that Taylor doesn't deal well with ship hierarchy/authority, but it becomes worth it (IMO). Chapter 11.5 is about 8 chapters worth put in that makes the story much better.
Second the rec, Abyssal!Taylor is worth a read.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
I've said it before, I'll say it again: Taser Girl is Best Avenger. Being the new secret identity of Dr. Harleen Quinzel in no way diminishes that, and indeed brings significant additional skills to the table. Off With The Costume, On With The New Life is fringeperson's latest oneshot, fusing the MCU with DCAU backstory. It's good stuff. ~4000 words, and sadly unlikely to see a continuation given the author.
--
‎noli esse culus
Um, I think you forgot to add a link.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13600900/1/...e-New-Life
So I did. D'oh! Thanks for fixing it.
--
‎noli esse culus
As A Consequence Of Your Action
Technically a jumpchain SI, although those elements don't arise much after the intro. The setting is Girl Genius and the protagonist is a young Spark who grew up as Gilgamesh Wulfenbach's roommate. He planned on averting the hijinks of canon and technically succeeded... in diverting them down another route. Along with the usual gaslight romance excitement...
Speaking of Cliffc999 and Girl Genius, who wants a Tarvek Peggy Sue fic? With Agatha's parents being awesome, and Violetta being Violetta?

When Tarvek got a do-over he promised himself that it would be different. He promised that he wouldn't let Agatha fall in love with him until after she knew the truth. He had it all planned out.

Tarvek never did have very much luck with plans.

Prince of Time
(06-05-2020, 01:01 AM)drakensis Wrote: As A Consequence Of Your Action
Technically a jumpchain SI, although those elements don't arise much after the intro. The setting is Girl Genius and the protagonist is a young Spark who grew up as Gilgamesh Wulfenbach's roommate. He planned on averting the hijinks of canon and technically succeeded... in diverting them down another route. Along with the usual gaslight romance excitement...

I want to like jumpchain stories so much. The premise sounds hilarious, but they always end up repeating the worst aspects of every "Gamer" fic. I dont find wafffling about "point buys" for fictional powers that are stupidly broken particularly entertaining.
Can anyone link me a story where the story starts AFTER the protagonist picks whatever powers, and then maybe gets his short term memory beaten out of them so they can't agonize over how they spent it afterwards; and just has to bloody well get on with the actual story?