Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Retcon] Spot the shout-outs
[Retcon] Spot the shout-outs
This has been up on the wiki for a while without changes, so it's likely to be included in the retcon of the introductory story.

I think I might have gone a little overboard in the shout-outs, though... Can anybody (who isn't in the writers' circle) identify them all?

Quote:If the reality of the human race was up to him to define, then he had better get around to defining it. He'd been thinking about this for what seemed like a year; it was time to get it over with.

Don't just rebuild the world; redefine it. No, revolutionize it! No Third Impact. No Second Impact. Just an Earth where somebody could venture over the wall around his heart without risking being hurt, and interact with others on a fair basis, with love, and justice, not like the relationships that his father had manipulated him into. A place where he could spread his own wings and take to the sky, instead of being forced to plod along the ground in a role that other people chose for him. Maybe a place of wonders, where science and magic could meet and then stories would begin, but that sort of whimsy might be too much to ask for, even if it was a small wish. But definitely some place where the horrors that he and Auska and Rei had gone through could be imagined, but as nothing more than a story. He so dearly wanted to live in a place where today was always the best day, he could enjoy everything, and everything would definitely be all right.

And maybe a place where he'd have a chance to meet somebody with a light heart who would like him for who he actually was, and would tell him "you belong"... but not just fall into his life. He'd have to work for that person's friendship. Maybe start with sharing some tea, after school.

I'll provide two hints: The shout-outs are to other works, and two of the shout-outs are to the same work.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: [Retcon] Spot the shout-outs
(09-19-2022, 02:35 PM)robkelk Wrote: This has been up on the wiki for a while without changes, so it's likely to be included in the retcon of the introductory story.

I think I might have gone a little overboard in the shout-outs, though... Can anybody (who isn't in the writers' circle)  identify them all?

Quote:If the reality of the human race was up to him to define, then he had better get around to defining it. He'd been thinking about this for what seemed like a year; it was time to get it over with.

Don't just rebuild the world; redefine it. No, revolutionize it! No Third Impact. No Second Impact. Just an Earth where somebody could venture over the wall around his heart without risking being hurt, and interact with others on a fair basis, with love, and justice, not like the relationships that his father had manipulated him into. A place where he could spread his own wings and take to the sky, instead of being forced to plod along the ground in a role that other people chose for him. Maybe a place of wonders, where science and magic could meet and then stories would begin, but that sort of whimsy might be too much to ask for, even if it was a small wish. But definitely some place where the horrors that he and Auska and Rei had gone through could be imagined, but as nothing more than a story. He so dearly wanted to live in a place where today was always the best day, he could enjoy everything, and everything would definitely be all right.

And maybe a place where he'd have a chance to meet somebody with a light heart who would like him for who he actually was, and would tell him "you belong"... but not just fall into his life. He'd have to work for that person's friendship. Maybe start with sharing some tea, after school.

I'll provide two hints: The shout-outs are to other works, and two of the shout-outs are to the same work.

I freely admit that I can't quite catch them all, but I can definitely make a start, because some of these are so obvious it almost hurts:
"No, revolutionize it!" -- Utena
"with love, and justice" -- Sailor Moon
"a place where today was always the best day, he could enjoy everything" -- Yotsuba&!
"sharing some tea, after school." -- K-On!

I yield back the balance of my time.
(09-19-2022, 05:01 PM)Mamorien Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 02:35 PM)robkelk Wrote: This has been up on the wiki for a while without changes, so it's likely to be included in the retcon of the introductory story.

I think I might have gone a little overboard in the shout-outs, though... Can anybody (who isn't in the writers' circle)  identify them all?

I freely admit that I can't quite catch them all, but I can definitely make a start, because some of these are so obvious it almost hurts:
"No, revolutionize it!" -- Utena
"with love, and justice" -- Sailor Moon
"a place where today was always the best day, he could enjoy everything" -- Yotsuba&!
"sharing some tea, after school." -- K-On!

I yield back the balance of my time.

You got five right out of the five shout-outs that you listed. (Yes, you connected the two linked shout-outs.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, I'll make it easier on folks and highlight the shout-outs. Green for the ones that Mamorien got right, orange for the others.

--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-20-2022, 04:18 PM)robkelk Wrote: Okay, I'll make it easier on folks and highlight the shout-outs. Green for the ones that Mamorien got right, orange for the others.

Nobody else wants to play... ah, well.

"rebuild" - Rebuild of Evangelion. The "don't" just beforehand hints we aren't using that continuity.

"revolutionize it" - Mamorien got this one right; Utena's power to bring the world revolution.

"over the wall around his heart" - the final episode of Princess Principal.

"love, and justice" - Mamorien got the obvious Sailor Moon reference.

"spread his own wings and take to the sky" - Almost the "on the next episode" catchphrase for Kaleido Star.

"science and magic could meet and then stories would begin" - Almost the "on the next episode" catchphrase for A Certain Magical Index.

"it was a small wish" - the title of the two-episode story in Nanoha A's.

"today was always the best day" and "enjoy everything" - Mamorien recognized these as coming from Yotsuba&

"everything would definitely be all right" - Sakura's invincible spell, from Cardcaptor Sakura.

"you belong" - repeated in one Azumanga Daioh tankobon.

"tea, after school" - the other one Mamorien got; Hokago Tea Time, from K-On!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown