Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part IV

Okay, tested PageTriage, think it would make for a much less aggravating new page patrol system. If you want to see what it's like in action, go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:NewPagesFeed

I'll have to add it as a toolbar link since it doesn't show up by default, but anyone can have access to it, so anyone can do new page patrol.

The Curation toolbar that used to show up is either disabled or broken in the latest build (even on Wikipedia), but the new page feed works just fine and should provide something less aggravating than RC patrolling.

I'm also testing a few other things to make our lives easier, let me know if you guys have anything in mind and I'll see If I can't add some stuff to make our next year of editing easier.

Update: Deployed something I planned on early: A much improved Community Portal that should prove vastly more useful for people looking for tasks that need done.

http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/All ... ity_Portal

GethN7 Wrote:...
Update: Deployed something I planned on early: A much improved Community Portal that should prove vastly more useful for people looking for tasks that need done.

Bookmarked!
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:

Bookmarked!

Glad you like it, Rob. Big Grin

I also plan on adding another extension to the list of cool stuff to make our lives easier:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MultiUpload

Short version: You can upload multiple files at once!

There is another extension I'm considering for that if this one can't be installed, but I'd prefer this one since you can specify the license for those files in advance instead of having to add it later.

The page says it's "unmaintained", but not overly worried there, since it's still in active use on a lot of wikis, including the ShoutWiki and Wikia farms, and if any serious issues result, someone will fix it from either.

I also left an ansible issue just in case any of the layout/site weirdness from that emergency database fix John had to do doesn't clear up soon.

Anyway, I'm probably going to have a really busy Christmas Eve/Christmas, so I won't be in much today and tomorrow, but I hope today is great, and tomorrow brings you all even greater tidings of joy. Big Grin

Quote:robkelk wrote:
Quote:GethN7 wrote:
Bookmarked!
Oh, yeah, that's nice.  
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Oh, and I figured out what the "extra spaces" after the external link have to be -- the little arrow graphic that indicates an external link is either missing or corrupt or something. Not sure how to track that down to fix myself, but I figured that either Geth or Brent would know.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Oh, and I figured out what the "extra spaces" after the external link have to be -- the little arrow graphic that indicates an external link is either missing or corrupt or something. Not sure how to track that down to fix myself, but I figured that either Geth or Brent would know.
Just figured that out a day or so ago. Since  MW 1.24 shuffled around where skins are located in MW 1.24, it changed up where a lot of common graphics for skins are located. I'll be able to fix part of the issues on our end, but the rest is why I filed that ansible issue.

GethN7 Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:

Bookmarked!

Glad you like it, Rob. Big Grin

I also plan on adding another extension to the list of cool stuff to make our lives easier:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MultiUpload

Short version: You can upload multiple files at once!

There is another extension I'm considering for that if this one can't be installed, but I'd prefer this one since you can specify the license for those files in advance instead of having to add it later.

The page says it's "unmaintained", but not overly worried there, since it's still in active use on a lot of wikis, including the ShoutWiki and Wikia farms, and if any serious issues result, someone will fix it from either.

I also left an ansible issue just in case any of the layout/site weirdness from that emergency database fix John had to do doesn't clear up soon.

Anyway, I'm probably going to have a really busy Christmas Eve/Christmas, so I won't be in much today and tomorrow, but I hope today is great, and tomorrow brings you all even greater tidings of joy. Big Grin

Oh, pretty... I want MultiUpload for the poserdazfreebies wiki, too. Next month.

Merry Christmas!
--
Rob Kelk

Argh. Trying to access the wiki via my Android tablet from my mother-in-law's, but Chrome reports every page I try has a redirect loop. Do we have a real problem, or is it a quirk of the setup I'm using?
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Argh. Trying to access the wiki via my Android tablet from my mother-in-law's, but Chrome reports every page I try has a redirect loop. Do we have a real problem, or is it a quirk of the setup I'm using?

Looks like John needs to tweak our Mobile settings.

Might need to ask him to add Mobile Frontend as well to optimize the display for mobile devices.

I'll add this as an ansible request before I turn in.

Update: http://github.com/Orain/ansible-playbook/issues/498

P.S. - Hope you get something nice in your stocking, Bob. [Image: banana-dance.gif]

Thanks, Geth, and the same to you.

I do find the behavior on the tablet odd, because I've been usng the tablet to edit the wiki from the very beginning over a year ago...
-- Bob
---------

...and the solution was, once again, to purge cookies. I feel stupid. This is, what, the third time for me?
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:...and the solution was, once again, to purge cookies. I feel stupid. This is, what, the third time for me?

Don't feel bad, Bob, happens to the best of us.

Also, due to John wanting a second pair of hands with commit access around again, he gave me back my VIP card to the Orain Github account, under the explicit proviso I show more prudence than before, which I obviously intend to.

I'm going to be doing some work in that regard in the next few days, though I'll be clearing a lot of other people's plates before I get to our needs.

Yeah, I got hit by the purge cookies bug myself.
@robkelk: Hey, good news, my bot works again now that we upgraded to 1.24.1.  So I can finally clear out the wanted pages list from the renames.
-- ∇×V
Belated Christmas presents incoming
I just got done beta testing some cool new features we'll soon be adding to ATT (and Rob, one of them is MultiUpload, which I'll add to your wiki as well), and I will be deploying them sometime tomorrow.

There are no less than four new features. Most I've talked about, but one is a nice little surprise.....

They should make our editing lives a LOT easier, and since I have my VIP card to Orain's GitHub back, feel free to make requests, and I'll test and deploy them as soon as I verify the requests won't cause security/database issues.

Lovely! Thanks, both of you.
--
Rob Kelk

Okay, Rob should have MultiUpload by now, and I just deployed our new features on ATT!

http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/For ... ryone_2152

Enjoy.

Can't wait to give these a try! Does the new video player mean we'll have to recode any pages with the old player on them, though?
Oh, and search is worse than useless.  If it isn't already a page name, it's a 504.  Period. 
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Can't wait to give these a try! Does the new video player mean we'll have to recode any pages with the old player on them, though?

Oh, and search is worse than useless.  If it isn't already a page name, it's a 504.  Period.

Bob, I'm not authorized to say more at this time, but me and the other members of Orain Staff have been discussing the horrible search and ways to fix it, and we have a potential plan to make that a completely nonexistent issue.

More when I'm authorized to say more.

Sweetgm2 is back at work on Not Good with Rejection, but the one edit they've made so far looks to be okay. Still, we need to keep an eye on them.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Sweetgm2 is back at work on Not Good with Rejection, ...
(raises eyebrow) Subtle message, perhaps?
--
Rob Kelk

To prevent downtime, uploading on all Orain wikis will be disabled until tomorrow:

See here for details

http://github.com/Orain/ansible-playbo ... 66f29b08ac

Looks like we need more disk...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Looks like we need more disk...

Fire's out. We can upload again.

Also, we're about to implement that sooper sekrit plan to make sure this sort of crap doesn't happen again for a good long while, more when I can update you guys.

http://meta.orain.org/wiki/Forum:An_ur ... tion_drive

Short version: We need serious cash if Orain is going to expand to handle our current needs and fund our infrastructure costs.

I and the rest of Orain staff have been in prolonged discussion about our frankly middling resources and how we haven't been serving our community as well as we should, and we plan on moving on to vastly better servers that can handle all of our needs and then some.

However, we need money for this, hence the donation drive on Indiegogo in the above link (I've already donated).

I strongly urge you guys to contribute, because this will not only get us all the cool stuff we wanted to make the servers handle our wikis more than adequately, it also will make sure we can stay ad free and resource rich for a long time to come.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact I or Dusti.

GethN7 Wrote:http://meta.orain.org/wiki/Forum:An_ur ... tion_drive

Short version: We need serious cash if Orain is going to expand to handle our current needs and fund our infrastructure costs.

I and the rest of Orain staff have been in prolonged discussion about our frankly middling resources and how we haven't been serving our community as well as we should, and we plan on moving on to vastly better servers that can handle all of our needs and then some.

However, we need money for this, hence the donation drive on Indiegogo in the above link (I've already donated).

I strongly urge you guys to contribute, because this will not only get us all the cool stuff we wanted to make the servers handle our wikis more than adequately, it also will make sure we can stay ad free and resource rich for a long time to come.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact I or Dusti.
The link in the announcement doesn't work.
--
Rob Kelk