Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part V

GethN7 Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:I don't have access to Special:ReplaceText (which would have made my recent project of replacing "[[MS Ting]" with "[[MSTing]" much easier...)

Would somebody who does replace "[[2001: A Space Odyssey]" with "[[2001: A Space Odyssey]", please? I see no reason for the string to not link to the work's page, but it appears there are too many occurrences of the nowiki'ed string to replace manually.

The last time the cached copies of the "Maintenance reports" pages were updated, my mother was still alive. Shouldn't that have been fixed by now?

First off, you are now an admin. You're incredibly trustworthy, so I don;t see why not. This also allows you to use ReplaceText.

Second, Cloudflare makes those reports useless. However, you can make a page using this as a workaround:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... kimedia%29

Use of this extension should produce lists with realtime results, so set yourself up a sandbox page and go nuts to find more accurate results.

Oh. Thank you. (That seems like overkill, but I'll take it and accept the trust.)

Sandbox will have to wait until Friday. Road trip tomorrow, involving alcohol at the end of the trip...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

For the last couple hours, the wiki has been seriously screwed up, alternately displaying "Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties", unformatted pages, and rarely what is wanted in response to links. Reloads occasionally work.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:For the last couple hours, the wiki has been seriously screwed up, alternately displaying "Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties", unformatted pages, and rarely what is wanted in response to links. Reloads occasionally work.
Going to run database update to see if the issue gets flushed.

Also, added a cron job to force refresh the LC cache every hour to keep system message errors from recurring.

Update; Seems one of our backend databases is going screwy, someone let me know which one next time you see the error so it can be reported.

Quote:(Cannot contact the database server: Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.131.158.213' (4) (10.131.158.213))
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:(Cannot contact the database server: Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.131.158.213' (4) (10.131.158.213))
Reported.

http://github.com/Orain/ansible-playbook/issues/693

I have carte blanche to work on the MW servers, ansible, and have DO/Cloudflare access, but the backend servers are not within my immediate purview, though I will make insistent reminders to staff about the issue should it persist.

It was still happening as of 7 AM EDT this morning, but I haven't been back to check on it since.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:It was still happening as of 7 AM EDT this morning, but I haven't been back to check on it since.

Problem seems resolved.

Also, the cron job we have globally refreshing our LC cache seems to prevented those system message errors as well.

A maintenance release of MW 1.25 is coming out soon, going to see if I can't get the staff to finally upgrade us, since 1.25 has a lot of fixes for a lot of extensions we use heavily.

GethN7 Wrote:
Bob Schroeck Wrote:It was still happening as of 7 AM EDT this morning, but I haven't been back to check on it since.

Problem seems resolved..
It's back - on both ATT and the freebie wiki, so it's spreading.

"(Cannot contact the database server: Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.131.158.209' (4) (10.131.158.209))"

EDIT: And two minutes later, it's gone again.
--
Rob Kelk

Uggh. It's definitely one of our backend servers giving us fits. If this happens again, I'm going to more insistently demand it be resolved, especially if more than just those two wikis are hit.

On a different note, TV Tropes highlighted a problem I believe we may want to address.

Their Memetic Sex God pages have been acquiring a bunch of Zero Content Examples for underage characters, and, per TV Tropes usual, they are planning on salting the earth and making the page definition only and killing all examples with those characters with fire.

Me, while I sympathize, I believe that's too drastic, as some of those characters have legit canon excuses that serve a base for that trope (like Negi Springfield from Negima), so I propose two changes to our version of the page and all global examples.

1. No ZCE's, they must have a description why it applies and has a basis in canon (as long as said description doesn't read like it was typed with one hand)

2. Anything that reads like a masturbatory fantasy, burn it. We aren't the Fetish Fuel wiki. Stating why it applies and why they have a MSG perception in the fandom is fine, but anything that edges into Troper Tales should be avoided.

Yeah, agreed.  TVT always has had problems with moderation, both meanings.
On point 1, I just added a bit of a policy on ATT:CONTEXT.  Basically ZCEs are bad on any subjective page, for lots of reasons.
On point 2, I think you have policy justification under ATT:CREATE of all things.  If deleting content improves the writing quality of the page, then we're good.  If it's just someone's fantasy, it's off-topic, and it likely isn't well written enough to qualify for justification under ATT:LITCRIT either.   No policy justification for existence = mash backspace key.
Should I add ATTBig GrinESTROY/ATT:MURDER as links to the section of Be Creative about murdering wiki darlings?
-- ∇×V (still technically an admin over there)
-- ∇×V

Hmmmmm... Looks like I can't put the "context" tag on the same line twice without breaking the page layout. Thing is, that particular line needs it twice.
http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Oja ... emi/Ho_Yay

(Before someone says I could provide the context myself, that would require me to find and watch a copy of the show first.)
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Hmmmmm... Looks like I can't put the "context" tag on the same line twice without breaking the page layout. Thing is, that particular line needs it twice.
http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Oja ... emi/Ho_Yay

(Before someone says I could provide the context myself, that would require me to find and watch a copy of the show first.)

It looks like a template code error from where I'm sitting.

I'll be out for a bit, so I can't debug it, but it doesn't look like a parser issue that can't be fixed.

Yeah, it was an extra line break.  Fixed.
-- ∇×V
Oh, for god's sake
Quote:Internal error

[1ff7144b] 2015-08-19 23:56:31: Fatal exception of type MWException
when I went to my preferences page.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:Internal error

[1ff7144b] 2015-08-19 23:56:31: Fatal exception of type MWException

when I went to my preferences page.

Let me know if it keeps happening,

We've been filling a lot of backlogged requests, and Addshore has been tinkering with our CreateWiki feature, turns out the old verison was sending mutilated database information that has been causing on again/off again trouble for us, the issues you reported may be related.

It hit again right before I moved off the wiki about... um... half an hour ago. But it's cleared up now.
-- Bob
---------

Just finished marathoning the webcomic "So... You're A Cartoonist?" (which doesn't appear to have an ATT page - must remedy that).

Which ATT pages get these as illustrations?

http://www.syacartoonist.com/comic/tropes-vs-syac
http://www.syacartoonist.com/comic/how- ... n-properly
http://www.syacartoonist.com/comic/inconvenient-truth (I'm very tempted to put this one on "Web Comics")
http://www.syacartoonist.com/comic/the-art-dump (might be a trope in itself)
http://www.syacartoonist.com/comic/its-over-9000
http://www.syacartoonist.com/comic/unamused
http://www.syacartoonist.com/comic/bad-bat ("Memetic Mutation", perhaps?)
http://www.syacartoonist.com/comic/mature
--
Rob Kelk

It would seem Jdogno has forced my hand:

http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Thr ... eges/reply_(2)

On top of recent edits still defying community consensus, I got a heads up from some tropers on TV Tropes his editing had a similar pattern on TV Tropes under a different name, so if ti happens again after this block is over, he's out.

Why am I not surprised?
-- Bob
---------

I think I got all the changes that you missed, Geth...
--
Rob Kelk

Just started getting CloudFlare 504 errors on ATT and the freebie wiki, so I'm guessing the servers are down...

EDIT: ...checking two and a half hours later, and they're back.
--
Rob Kelk

Oh, dear. The abuse filter on the freebie wiki (we only have the one, put in place by Southparkfan) is too aggressive - I'm losing editors because they can't add links.

I know I asked for a filter that prevented unconfirmed users from creating pages. That isn't what I got.

I definitely didn't ask for one that prevented unconfirmed users from adding external links - the freebie wiki is all about the external links, after all.

How do I fix the filter so it does what I wanted it to do in the first place?
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Oh, dear. The abuse filter on the freebie wiki (we only have the one, put in place by Southparkfan) is too aggressive - I'm losing editors because they can't add links.

I know I asked for a filter that prevented unconfirmed users from creating pages. That isn't what I got.

I definitely didn't ask for one that prevented unconfirmed users from adding external links - the freebie wiki is all about the external links, after all.

You have admin rights at ATT, so copy our current active filter's conditions for your wiki. You might have a few spammers slip through every now and then, but it's the best balance between keeping the spammers mostly out and not punishing legit users.

You want to do what I do if you use our filter and autoconfirm any user that is legit. A few spammers might slip through, but since our current filter isn't too harsh, that combination should be nice to the legit users while stopping most spammers.

GethN7 Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:Oh, dear. The abuse filter on the freebie wiki (we only have the one, put in place by Southparkfan) is too aggressive - I'm losing editors because they can't add links.

You have admin rights at ATT, so copy our current active filter's conditions for your wiki. You might have a few spammers slip through every now and then, but it's the best balance between keeping the spammers mostly out and not punishing legit users.

You want to do what I do if you use our filter and autoconfirm any user that is legit. A few spammers might slip through, but since our current filter isn't too harsh, that combination should be nice to the legit users while stopping most spammers.

That's the problem. Newcomers create accounts, try to post links right away (which is the whole point to the wiki), get blocked, and leave without asking to become confirmed...

For now, I've put up a sitenotice asking people to stop by my Talk page (we don't have a forum) to let me know they're legit.
--
Rob Kelk

Here's something that I've noticed:

When I click on the "What links here" link under the "Tools" submenu (which serves a similar puropse to the "Related" page back over on TVT), I noticed two things:

First, the list seems to be arranged in no obvious order (is it "most recently added"?).

Second, the total number of pages is not obviously available.

For the first, I would suggest adding in (if possible) a feature that could allow one to select ways to order the entries (e.g. alphabetically).

For the second, perhaps place some text saying that "X" number of pages link to this article up near the top.

I hope that helps! Smile