Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A serious post - What if someone were to discover handwavium, and what if it is me
A serious post - What if someone were to discover handwavium, and what if it is me
Hi, this is a serious post, there is no fiction or joking in it.  BTW I am 39 and I have been researching this for over 2 decades...

I have discovered what could be termed "handwavium", which is to say I have as a back yard type, discovered something revolutionary that could lead to the technology required to meet and exceed Fenspace etc..., which is strange because that's almost never how big important discoveries are made except for most of them of course.  Ok, that was a joke.

So here is the problem, I have not got the money or skills to get this technology to the level where it can take us to the stars, or other planets, at least not yet.

And I am a bit unsure about asking for help from people who might have more interest in suppressing/stealing this technology, or others who might be too closed minded to look, or feel it threatens their current beliefs.

So anyway the strange part is that handwavium is very appropriate as a term as the "substance" that I have found how to generate/effect for want of a better word (much in the sense that electrical generators generate the substance electricity) is currently only detected by, primarily hands.

So WTF am i talking about?

Ok, so I started researching claims of Antigravity and Free Energy, and I concluded that there really was something to it, so then I went about trying to understand it, at first looking for a "loop hole" or pulling one's self up by your own boot straps, a logical way to cheat physics.  Alas, not only do such attempts only seem to trick the mind, but when I looked for correlations in the claims that I overall accepted as being true I did not see indications of such methods, rather I saw something different that I didn't want to find, that there was a substance in the background of space, a sub quantum field, an aether, or a technologically derived version of "chi" or "orgone".

Ok, so I know how this sounds, the skeptic in the back of my head hears all this too, but please continue reading...

So after all together too damn long, embarrassingly long, I made a strange coil that I could feel emanate this curious flow of "something",  call it aether, chi, orgone or "handwavium", i was able to verify that it was not anything conventional, for one it would continue for about 10 minutes after I stopped applying power to this unusual coil.

So since then, I have managed to get some strange results and significantly improve the degree of this "stuff" which I can generate/effect/disturb.

I have found that over 90% of people can feel this energy.

So here is the question, if someone makes a discovery, can reasonably prove it (in the sense that while the technology to detect this "stuff" might not have been readily identified/invented or be ubiquitous, human sense can detect it to a degree that, done well, leaves no doubt as to the reality of this "stuff"), and it has the promise of being vastly revolutionary...

Will anyone care?

As it says in the fenspace wiki (I have not read the books) Scientists studied it. Governments feared it. The rest of the world didn’t care all that much.

In short Governments and the public at large aren't going to be interested in a helpful manner.

And respected scientists are too busy being respected than to embrace heretical ideas that breach the current laws of physics, also the Government and current financial interests influence them...

So who, except for the lone inventor gives a stuff?

Do you, my fellow sci-fi nerds?  Or are your subscriptions to skeptic magazine on lifetime subscription?

I can prove my modest yet extraordinary claims, but even if proven, who cares to actually put in the effort needed to bring this seed of a new realm of technology into reality?

TL;DR Is anyone seriously interested in making humanity in space with properly advanced technology (nor rocketry) happen? Actually willing to put in the work to both evaluate the reality of such a possibility and willing to put real time and effort in to make that dream happen?

Edit: Curious as to what typo/spelling mistake I missed, I has missed "went" where the "w" was dropped spelling "ent".  And while I know that proper is properly spelt with one p in the middle of the word, I do habitually type it with 2 P's.
So clearly the world should not have a breakthrough because of one typo and one persistent spelling mistake.  Glad you got to feel the huffy puffiness of arrogance and superiority based on trivialities!
RE: A serious post - What if someone were to discover handwavium, and what if it is me
Seriously?

It hits all the pseudo-science beats:
  • unsubstantiated extraordinary claims ("something revolutionary") CHECK!
  • unrecognized value at risk ("people who might have more interest in suppressing/stealing this technology") CHECK!
  • brings up disproved hypotheses (aether, antigravity, free energy) CHECK!
  • admission of scientific illiteracy ("Antigravity and Free Energy, and I concluded that there really was something to it") CHECK!
  • some mysticism (chi, orgone) CHECK!
  • unsubstantiated statistics ("over 90% of people can feel this energy") CHECK!
  • discredit known science with no proof ("able to verify that it was not anything conventional") CHECK!
  • misused scientific terms/Treknobabble ("a sub quantum field") CHECK!
  • doesn't say anything about the actual "technology" ("a strange coil") CHECK!
  • appeal to "visionaries" to do the heavy lifting ("anyone...willing to put in the work") CHECK!
  • failure to spell-check (shows sloppy work/inflated ego/paranoia) CHECK!
One, I'm going to completely fail to provide my credit card number or checking account information.  Big Grin

Two, I'm going to suggest, that even at 39, with two decades (that's 20 years!) spent on this, you could have actually learned enough science to work out what's going on. Maybe you've been a hobbyist, circling back to "that wild idea" every couple of years, without really putting in the work; this would explain why you ask for someone else to do the work. My guess is reading (and understanding) scientific accounts of Tesla's work would have answered this conundrum of yours years ago. Most of Tesla's wilder, romantic (yet sadly fictional) ideas are circling the Internet with just this kind of presentation. I would hate to think you've wasted 20 years making an oversized-component dynamo or Tesla coil and didn't even know it. (Why did I bring up Tesla? Just a vibe.)

Three, off the bat, I'm thinking (since you actually provided nothing to go by): basic electromagnetism is beyond your ken, and this field is entirely explainable as a known, predictable, reproducible EM effect (though a great deal less romantic and revolutionary).

Have fun, and please don't electrocute yourself!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Being told to be 'open minded' about something is usually a code for 'you're not going to like this, but I want to subject you to it anyway'. Conversely, being told that you are 'closed-minded' is generally a means of asserting that 'I don't like the fact that you're proving me wrong, so I will pretend that your failure to agree with my argument is a philosophical deficiency'." - RationalWiki
RE: A serious post - What if someone were to discover handwavium, and what if it is me
Firstly I have learnt a lot of conventional physics over that time, and before.

I actually know conventional electromagnetism very very well and probably in more depth than you do.

It is not related to Telsa, or even to electromagnetism.

And you are basically far far off on every point, the coil BTW does not need to be powered!   While the initial test was, I knew I was on to something when the effect persisted for about 10 minutes after turning off the power.
I then found that no power source is needed with a simple adjustment.

I am not looking for someone else to do the work, I am actively experimenting, but there is a lot to do and I would like not to be the only one.

unsubstantiated extraordinary claims ("something revolutionary") CHECK!  <FALSE, you can easily substantiate my claims if you try them.  Others have done so.
unrecognized value at risk ("people who might have more interest in suppressing/stealing this technology") CHECK!  <Your point being?  Even if you are saying I am wrong about there being risk, there is unrecognized value.
brings up disproved hypotheses (aether, antigravity, free energy) CHECK!  <Nothing has been disproven.  I am not saying that what I have discovered is "aether" and aether was not disproven by Michelson Morley, also Enstein's cosmological constant is considered to be confirmed at this point and it is antigravity.  Also antigravity is not a rigorous term.
admission of scientific illiteracy ("Antigravity and Free Energy, and I concluded that there really was something to it") CHECK!   <Yes, energy anomalies can be produced.  But the question is why all these baseless objections, it is like you are trying to protect yourself from extraordinary possibilities.
some mysticism (chi, orgone) CHECK!  <Just trying to convey that there has been evidence for something else going on and it has been ignored.
unsubstantiated statistics ("over 90% of people can feel this energy") CHECK!   <That is a valid criticism, but it is based on my personal experience.  So it is indicative.  If I don't have a peer reviewed cross correlated study by multiple well respected academic institutions should I simply mention nothing about the approximate frequency I have found people can feel the "energy" (for lack of a better term as it is not nessasarily energy as physics understands the term).
discredit known science with no proof ("able to verify that it was not anything conventional") CHECK!  <What obvious energy or effect should come from a cold (room temp) unenergized coil?
misused scientific terms/Treknobabble ("a sub quantum field") CHECK!   < Not misused, merely a suggestion that what I am creating/effecting is real stuff that is not at a whole quanta, there is evidence for fractional electric charge for instance, I think that this is what it might be.  But I do not know.  It is at this time an unknown.   It is just that there is "SOMETHING" that comes from correctly designed coils.
doesn't say anything about the actual "technology" ("a strange coil") CHECK!   < Correct,  but let me say something now.  If you have magnet wire or insulated gardening wire, or any ideally malleable single core insulated wire, then you can make one of these coils at no cost .  You could make some coils in about 6 seconds.  But it seemed wrong to lead with the details of the technology.  But if you want the details being a total ass working from the James Randi play book isn't the way to get it.
appeal to "visionaries" to do the heavy lifting ("anyone...willing to put in the work") CHECK!  < Only visionaries like myself will do the heavy lifting.
failure to spell-check (shows sloppy work/inflated ego/paranoia) CHECK!   < Well as long as you are keeping your criticisms relivant.  I mean, if I misspell something or fail to use spell check fully then clearly my discovery is worthless.

Better to err on the side of throwing away a valuable discovery and take the chance of being a self righteous critic, it might not lead to advancing humanity to the stars, but it is easier and more enjoyable in the moment.

But hey, at least you are being true to yourself, "spoil sport" suggests a petty person with no vision.
Ok, maybe I took your post partly the wrong way (as I would assert you took mine), let me try again...

I can share designs of coils and other forms that develop an "energy" for lack of a better term that can be felt, and cannot be explained by any conventional force (electric, magnetic or EM, sound, ion flow, heat, air flow, light) and this is because it works without applied power.

You can prove this much to yourself at no cost by making a coil for which you only need scraps of wire, no actually expense, and some coils can be make in seconds.

So proof is something you can experience, either first hand (pun intended) or second hand through others, but you can prove it to yourself.

And if you do fall into the majority that feel the energy, or you were to work with someone who does then I could show you all I have learnt, and this would likely convince you that some other claims that have been mostly ignored, claiming breach in the current laws of physics are in fact valid.

Now don't get me wrong, I fully accept that this does not seem likely.
I appreciate healthy skepticism, I am not asking you to take me at my word.  I am asking you to be curious enough to ask me more and cautiously investigate my claims which should prove themselves unless you and everyone you show this to is improbably insensitive.    But if that happens, just to show you that I am not about wasting people's time, I will pay you $100 if you build a coil or 3, and try it on yourself and then try 10 other people and neither you and none of them feel it.   The money is not an inducement to try this, but a reason to see that i am not here to just waste your time.
The thing is, you haven't told us how to build one of these coils... or told us anything else specific. All you've shared so far is text that's indistinguishable from posts made by people who think the laws of thermodynamics don't apply to them.

Fenspace is built on a dream, it's true, but it's also built on sharing of information.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Photo 
(09-08-2017, 08:13 AM)robkelk Wrote: The thing is, you haven't told us how to build one of these coils... or told us anything else specific. All you've shared so far is text that's indistinguishable from posts made by people who think the laws of thermodynamics don't apply to them.

Fenspace is built on a dream, it's true, but it's also built on sharing of information.

Hi, sorry for not replying sooner.

Yes, that is true, of course there is no point in exposing my work if no one is interested, casting pearls before swine.

At the same time, your post at least suggests some degree of interest, so maybe I should not remain so secretive.

So then the next question is, how do I prove to you at least as much as I am able to, that I have a technology that can produce a energy that some, most people can feel?

And the answer is that I must share nuts and bolts type practical info, and try and keep it simple.

One important point I would want recognized is that if you want to increase the odds of recognizing a valid discovery, you should not just try one embodiment, but you should try a few, and on a few people to increase the odds of success.

So are you willing to make something to see if it works for you?

Here is an image of the latest design.

You could print this and use wire and cut out bits of metal (for the center of the circle) to make this of a physical design.

This is maybe not the fastest to make design, I could make designs you could make faster, this is just one I finished...

BTW, if you were copying this design, you would not do the inner circles as shown, they would just be multi-turn closed loop coils and the reason they look like that is that I am trying to show how it is multi turn.

I would also like to describe an improvement that is hard to draw and does not show up in that image.

You could make only part of this image and it might work.

Indeed, believe it or not, about about as many as 50% of people can feel the energy light makes from displaying these patterns.
[Image: new_design.png]

[Image: i5cFEQ]

So the best way to wind the coils is to strip only one end of the wire (no electrically conductive contact), wind the uninsulated end on a lazy right handed (or left, produces a different energy, left can be unpleasant, but might be easier to feel) helix around the other end, with the rest of the uninsulated end, wrap that in the same way (right or left handed) starting tight but getting loose...

That looks like this...
[Image: wire_zoom_in.png]
This is a zoomed in of a portion of arc of a coil...  The double vertical lines are meant to show that this is just a section of it.

If you place your hand over the a coil made this way, you might feel something, warm, cool, tingle, pressure etc...

If you only made the outer half circle thing and put a regular ring or can, or loop of wire in the center, it might be enough.

If you only join a wire the way shown into a loop, that might do it.

If you only build the doohickey at the top with the 2 bits of wire with the ends of the wire arranged just as shows so that the ends if the wires are pointing at the sides of the ends...  That might do it.

If you only make 3 separate shorted concentric coils, with the inner coil having the most turns, the middle coil having fewer, and the inner coil having the most turns, that might do it.

The cross in the middle could be ignored, try it with and without...

If you want me to make this and film making it with a crappy camera, I will, it's not that hard to make...
Your diagrams are both unintelligible.

Seems like you're just making some sort of weird electromagnet. Bit with no power supply? Do you live under powerlines or something?

I'#ve seen flourescent tubes glow when you stand under power lines and raise them up.,

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(09-19-2017, 01:59 PM)Dartz Wrote: Your diagrams are both unintelligible.

Seems like you're just making some sort of weird electromagnet. Bit with no power supply?  Do you live under powerlines or something?

I'#ve seen flourescent tubes glow when you stand under power lines and raise them up.,

What don't you understand?

Take insulated wire, scrape off a few inches of insulation from one end and wind the uninsulated (shown in purple) around the other end of the wire (forming a big loop) in a gentle right hand helix.
By gentle, I mean the distance the purple wire moves along the red each turn is about as long as possible while still making it clear which wire is the center wire.

With the other end of the wire, wind a tight right handed turn, then a looser turn, then looser again and looser yet.

Then with the end of this wire, make a tight loop and point the end of the wire at the rest of the coil.

Just making a circuit closed this way will evolve an energy.

Or, can you see shapes?  Do you see the shape at the top of the image with the year drop looking thing and the paper clip looking thing?  bend wires into that shape.

How is that not intelligible?

I don't think you fail to understand "make this shape".

So why is it unintelligible to you?

Because you don't understand WHY these shapes would do anything, and as I have not tried yet to explain the underlying science the theory, you say it is unintelligible.  but it isn't.
Just make those shapes.

I can't say you will feel something, but I can say that some will, maybe a majority.

Now I have I think already improved the design since I posted it, I think the outer half circle should be on the very inside, but I need to test that more fully first.
To help Dartz and others understand, and to show the newly discovered preferred embodiment (the half turn on the inside) here it is...

[Image: newer_design.png]

Again, there is a perhaps  30-50% chance you will feel energy from the image if you place your hand in front of the screen, that is not a joke, but it is much less likely than feeling the energy when this is embodied in matter and not just EM flux.

Also no, my house is not near power lines and this does not work only at my house but anywhere, and I have moved once since I made this breakthrough.
Also I have given people unpowered coils based on this methodology and others have felt energy from their coils even when the device was hidden in a pocket and not mentioned.
What.
Mr. Fnord on FFN and Mal3 on AO3 Conceptual Neighborhood - yet another damned sci-fi blog • The Westerosi (ASoIaF) The Westerosi II: Subprime Directives: Extradimensional horrors threaten the Seven Kingdoms, and Captain Hasegawa of the Starfleet Rangers has to stop them. If she accidentally conquers Westeros in the process... oops?Fenspace (shared world)

"It is your job to personify the tyranny of the majority. You must brutally, ruthlessly oppress and persecute the fuck out of the poor misunderstood disruptive creep minority so that the privileged nerd funhaver status quo can be maintained. It's a thankless job, but somebody's got to do it. Fun Über Alles, all hail the Fun Tyrant, without him our campaign is lost." --SA user Angry Diplomat, on the GM's role.
I came here being promised Handwavium, and I got perpetual motions younger brother.
I figured as much, when you didn't understand I was critiquing your presentation.

If you understand electromagnetism "very very well and probably in more depth than (me)", how it is you don't understand that what you have made is an antenna? Do you understand that you live on the surface of a giant electric motor? Surrounded by a natural magnetic field that keeps the dangerous rays of the sun from harming you? (Not to mention the EM noise dumped into our environment for radio, television, power lines, etc.) Mysticism and disproved hypotheses need not apply: you are playing with electromagnetism. Hey, does it "work" in a Faraday cage?

Power your house with it, then it's a breakthrough. Right now, it's crackpot idea based on an irregular antenna.

[FYI, this is pretty much what I created (in abstract) for a science-in-name-only sci-fi RPG campaign, as the handwavium to let the story work. But at least mine needed power to create a gravity/FTL drive....]

I am Jack's healthy skepticism  Undecided
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
"Being told to be 'open minded' about something is usually a code for 'you're not going to like this, but I want to subject you to it anyway'. Conversely, being told that you are 'closed-minded' is generally a means of asserting that 'I don't like the fact that you're proving me wrong, so I will pretend that your failure to agree with my argument is a philosophical deficiency'." - RationalWiki
>I figured as much, when you didn't understand I was critiquing your presentation.

Poorly, yes I understood that, I was critiquing your critique But I guess you didn't understand that Smile.

>If you understand electromagnetism "very very well and probably in more depth than (me)", how it is you don't understand that what you have made is an antenna?

I understand that essentially any mass of a conductive substance is an antenna. But Antenna's don't do this.
Also, these coils work when made of dielectric fibers. While I rather use metal wire, it is just a preference.

>Do you understand that you live on the surface of a giant electric motor? Surrounded by a natural magnetic field that keeps the dangerous rays of the sun from harming you? (Not to mention the EM noise dumped into our environment for radio, television, power lines, etc.) Mysticism and disproved hypotheses need not apply: you are playing with electromagnetism. Hey, does it "work" in a Faraday cage?

I don't have a walk in Faraday cage, but yes it will. Again, it works when made of dielectric fibers. It works when light etches it into space (but fewer feel that). I just rather use metal.
I do not make many forms from dielectric substances so I don't know what % would feel those designs.
Fibre optic cable or fishing line also works, and is in some ways superior to metal, the optical conductivity seems to give an unimpeded velocity to the current.

>Power your house with it, then it's a breakthrough. Right now, it's crackpot idea based on an irregular antenna.

I am clear that this science could do that, but it's not there yet, it needs this science to be further developed. And if I could power my house with it you would still not believe me.
What is the difference between dielectric fiber and fibre optic cable?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Your "critique of (my) critique" included defenses not in evidence for specific identified features, so no; it was an attempted defense.

aether Wrote:And if I could power my house with it you would still not believe me.
Well, that's a lie. If you had powered your house with it, you would understand how it works, be able to describe the underlying principle without the mysticism, how to harness it, and then have successfully demonstrated it. That would be a breakthrough. (A month later, you could afford a video camera with the savings to your power bill, film from beginning to end, and post it to Youtube. Or after a year of savings, apply for a Patent and then release the video.)

So far, we have a great deal of woo. Classic woo. Not even diet woo.  Wink
Y'know, scratch that last bit because this:
Quote:optical conductivity seems to give an unimpeded velocity to the current
qualifies as woo-light   Big Grin *ba-doom-cha!*

The more you post, the more this sounds like an electrostatic field around actual coils (the mere-image-generates-a-field thing is straight-up woo). An imbalance between these coils in proximity creates an electromagnetic field. Ten minutes of Google-fu. Unless, after 20 years, you don't know how to describe what you are doing; the original post's "sub-quantum" thing hints at that.

Further: the coils carry their static charge in a Faraday cage, so  Sad  skepticism is holding.
Spoilsport...

You are wrong, but I understand you think you could be right.

There is one way to find out, follow the instructions to make a coil, if you want easier/faster instructions I will attempt to comply... Then test it on yourself and others.

If you find that it works and the explanations you present do not hold it right, then that is potentially significant.

And if you find that either no effect exists despite your genuine attempts, then you will have proven me wrong and not just assumed I am wrong. Hey, I admit this all sound unlikely!
But I am clear that it is real.

And if you want to assert otherwise rather than point out the obvious, that this sounds unlikely, you need to do more than be an arm chair critic.

Otherwise, you are a spoilsport taking cheap shots.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

You made the claim, burden of proof falls to you.

You have no proof.

aether Wrote:Otherwise, you are a spoilsport taking cheap shots.
Ooooh! Cheap shot ad hominems! How will I ever survive?!  Tongue
I built one.

Felt nothing.

Put a multimeter on it.

Read nothing.

Cant prove a negative.

Hooked it up to an amp.

Got a 50hz hum that varied as I moved it around the room.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
From that description, it sounds like you've built an antenna.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-22-2017, 01:31 PM)Dartz Wrote: I built one.

Felt nothing.

Put a multimeter on it.

Read nothing.

Cant prove a negative.

Hooked it up to an amp.

Got a 50hz hum that varied as I moved it around the room.

Dartz, thanks for trying it.

Sorry you couldn't feel anything, alas, not everyone can.

So I don't know if it's that you are not sensitive, or if it is not working.

You could take a photo of it, that should tell me if it is built right.

If you make it right and you can't get anyone to feel it, I'll eat my hat.  Or give you money, or something.