Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Window 7....

*shrug*. I got Ultimate for $22. Work at Home licenses rock. Big Grin

the connection in question is not _precisely_ legitimate. They're his academic credentials, but I've been providing the tech support for his network
for on 15 years now, so...

I feel no shame, I assure you.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

*dogpiles jpub and wiregeek*

Still. I'm sure we'd all love the opportunity to evaluate it.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

According to Windows Secrets, it's possible to do a clean install using an Upgrade disk, just as it was possible for previous versions of Windows. It's not even a hack or a trick. Check out http://WindowsSecrets.com/comp/091112]this page -- the article starts about a quarter of the way down.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Well, I've found one thing -so far- Windows 7 won't do. Play a typical purchased DVD in WMP/C on a RPC-1 era DVD-rom drive. It will quite happily play
it with a RPC-2 drive - the only type you can buy - but then that darn @%^*!$%!! thing of region codes rears its head. I've done a quick test with some at
hand DVDs and provided my local zones' code's present (R4), playback happens. A straight R1 disc....and I'm into that darn swap zones 5-4 times and
out.

Which means watching Sakura Wars, the Ghost in the Shell movies, Patlabor TV and any other imported DVDs I've got on my PCs has just become more
complicated. VLC can probably handle it (region code), just not look very pretty.

As for wifi site surveys....I'm still looking into that.

Is your PC big enough to hold more than one DVD drive? If yes, buy an inexpensive one and set it to R1, then use that for all the North American DVDs in your
collection... unless Windows7 doesn't allow that, either.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Windows 7 does, in fact, allow that. We have to do this at work - we have one PC with a full tower config, with 6 DVD drives in it (4 internal, 2 external),
that is exclusively for watching DVDs from various regions. Y'see, a lot of the promotional/informational videos we get from various vendors or facilities
happen to have region encoding set on them.

Most of the time it's a Region 1/2/3/4 thing, but lately we've had a lot of Region 6 stuff coming in from China.

Well, that's fine for my desktop as it currently holds 3 DVD drives (2 burners , 1 rom), it's my laptop where that scheme falls a bit flat. But then
with its persistent hardware fault of solid one colour lines along one side, I wouldn't be using it much to watch video. At least until I fix the fault,
loose video leads been the advice.

You could always find yourself a good piece of software that kindly ignores copyright protections and rip the DVD's. (Seriously, if it's staying in
your personal library...) The only real problem with that is that it's a time-intensive process.

This is the one I'm familiar with:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

CloneCD, by the same company, is my go-to tool for backing up my PC game library. They do good work, and this looks like it was designed for your situation.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.