Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Just Realized I Never Mentioned...

True enough, but the other metrics help me stave off depression and anxiety. As it is, I still feel like I'm missing something else I ought to be doing.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

When you figure it out, let me know.
I'm missing it, too. 

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

I know the feeling Bob. I'm already on my first extension as far as benefits go. Cross my fingers and hope I don't get to that!
I just finished making up my Federal resume and I'm in the process of posting it to the Department of the Navy's HR section. I still need to find out where the critical needs are. I should get it no later 48 hours than now. There also multiple openings for related positions in other Federal agencies.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

How do you get an extension? I thought with the Federal legislation last year that it would be automatic, but I haven't a clue and there's nothing on my UI paperwork about it.
-- Bob
---------

The extension was automatic in this case. If it runs out in 6 months, I have to apply again.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

blackaeronaut Wrote:Hey, Ord, if you've ever wanted to come to Japan, I'm pretty sure that SRF-JRMC Yokosuka is hiring. Wink
What's the cost of living over there like? While I'm at it, the Navy hiring Hotline is impossible to get thru
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Spotted on the SJGames forums: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,586 ... 0000:b0:z5]"Arrogant Americans" Need Not Apply But you aren't arrogant, right?

8)

Edit: It gets better - they're looking for someone with "limited experience and judgment".
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Would blinkered and tunneled vision Yanks be able to apply?
Just about finished entering my resume. I still have to place my significant accomplishments, but it's done. Where to go though?
I've been meeting people with weird job situations going thru the VA.
One guy is an ex Air force officer. Graduate of Georgetown. Licensed to practices Texas law. What is weird about him is that he's applying  to the Federal side and is having trouble deciding what job he wants.
The other guy has a real strange job situation. The gentlemen is 71 years old. Retired Air Force O-5. Went to the civil service and retired GS-13. Moved to California from Hawaii. Is looking for work. Why? Because he wants to fund an IRA?!. The man has 4 sources of income coming to him and he wants to go back to work? I'm missing something here.
I also made a new friend. Took her to an interview today and she got a job offer as a nurse . She lives in San Diego so she's going to work 40 hours (4 X 10 hour shifts)  in Los Angeles and then go back to SD. There is an advantage to having a cute (is it wrong to characterize a single woman in her early 30's as cute?) nurse as a friend.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:

Quote:blackaeronaut wrote:

Hey, Ord, if you've ever wanted to come to Japan, I'm pretty sure that SRF-JRMC Yokosuka is hiring. Wink
What's the cost of living over there like? While I'm at it, the Navy hiring Hotline is impossible to get thru
COLs a bitch, but that's why we get COLA (Cost Of Living Allowance - pay adjustment for high COL areas, not to be confused with per diem).  I'm pretty sure that the civilian contractors get it as well, but I'll have to ask around to be sure.
For SRF-JRMC Yokosuka, you should find this link helpful: http://www.srf.navy.mil/pages/jobs.html
Nothing in Environmental right now, it looks like, but you never know...
ETA: also linked from the above page, but here it is anyways: a direct link into the DoN's Human resources page.  Most of their stuff is done electronically through the web, which is probably why you're having trouble finding a phone to call them at.  http://chart.donhr.navy.mil
As for the Retired Officer... well, some of us Military types get so used to working that it feels DAMN WEIRD to sit around.  Sometimes even an 'active' retirement is just not enough.  Take my Great-Uncle Dan Saldana for example.  Never a better example of the Hard Working Man.  The man did twenty years for the Navy, twenty years for the DEA, and then twenty years for AT&T.  It took that much to wear him down.  Now that he is thoroughly tired (and retired!) he collects two government pensions AND a 401/k!

ordnance11 Wrote:The other guy has a real strange job situation. The gentlemen is 71 years old. Retired Air Force O-5. Went to the civil service and retired GS-13. Moved to California from Hawaii. Is looking for work. Why? Because he wants to fund an IRA?!. The man has 4 sources of income coming to him and he wants to go back to work? I'm missing something here.
Some people just go stir crazy if they're not active.  I've known a couple retirees like that -- they were raised, as far as I can tell, with so strong a work ethic that having all the leisure time that retirement affords feels wrong (in a moral sense) to them.
-- Bob
---------

blackaeronaut Wrote:
Quote:ordnance11 wrote:

Quote:blackaeronaut wrote:

Hey, Ord, if you've ever wanted to come to Japan, I'm pretty sure that SRF-JRMC Yokosuka is hiring. Wink
COLs a bitch, but that's why we get COLA (Cost Of Living Allowance - pay adjustment for high COL areas, not to be confused with per diem).  I'm pretty sure that the civilian contractors get it as well, but I'll have to ask around to be sure.
For SRF-JRMC Yokosuka, you should find this link helpful: http://www.srf.navy.mil/pages/jobs.html
Nothing in Environmental right now, it looks like, but you never know...
ETA: also linked from the above page, but here it is anyways: a direct link into the DoN's Human resources page.  Most of their stuff is done electronically through the web, which is probably why you're having trouble finding a phone to call them at.  http://chart.donhr.navy.mil
As for the Retired Officer... well, some of us Military types get so used to working that it feels DAMN WEIRD to sit around.  Sometimes even an 'active' retirement is just not enough.  Take my Great-Uncle Dan Saldana for example.  Never a better example of the Hard Working Man.  The man did twenty years for the Navy, twenty years for the DEA, and then twenty years for AT&T.  It took that much to wear him down.  Now that he is thoroughly tired (and retired!) he collects two government pensions AND a 401/k!
 Truth be told, that's why I'm doing volunteer work at the VA. I can only do so much painting. Well, I placed Japan, Bahrain and Rota for overseas posting. Also the SW CONUS. I did place Philly, New Orleans and Kansas City also. I'll probably start plugging it it today.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Well, at any rate I hope the links are helpful. (^_^Wink

I forgot to mention -- (major consulting firm) finally got back to me yesterday. The opening for which I was shooting has been eliminated. Apparently this was a big issue, because it according to the HR person it took them almost a month of discussions and meetings to settle it.
-- Bob
---------

Damn sorry to hear that, Bob. Keep on pluggin'.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

blackaeronaut Wrote:Well, at any rate I hope the links are helpful. (^_^Wink
BA, I already knew about them but thanks for help. I pulled the trigger and applied for 5 duty positions for world wide. It should take 48 hours for them to process and figure about a week to a month to rank me. Depends on how badly they need a warm body. In the mean time, I'll apply to the other federal agencies. There was an immediate opening for Barstow, CA and I applied for that. 
Edit: I'm starting to input the data in the army's HR system. After, that..hit the other agencies. It looks like virtually every federal agency has a job opening..if you're willing to relocate.
I talked to my ex-boss. From a high of 10 people 3 years ago, it's now down to 3. Not a good time to be a Californian. I feel we should hang the folks at Countrywide.
Edit2: I actually applied for 8 positions  in the Navy civilian HR. 4 of them are actually matches and the other 4 are closely related. All in one resume....go me!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I finished as much input as I can. I ran into a snag. They wanted 24 unitts of upper division coursework that I did in college. and that's 1994. I already order my transcripts, but I guess I'll have to go down to the university and ask them. *sigh*. The cut-off for submission isn't till the 23rd so I have time. But do I really want to go to Korea?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

*Shruggs* They're decent people up there. I know because Donghea and Pusan were practically our secondary home port for a while (and while a nice family-oriented place, Donhea's kinda boring).

Anyhow, best of luck.

Okay, just applied for 2 positions with the Department of Labor. Veterans Affairs is next. Got a job fair on March 1. Got a whole slew of job applications lined up.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Wow, that was fast!
Okay, I just ran into a company that's set a new record on response time.  I sent an application off this morning to a firm in NYC that is, essentially, an IT consultancy/source firm that specializes in charitable organizations.
Less than two hours later (about 20 minutes ago), I had my first (telephone) interview with one of their HR folks.
Tomorrow morning I take an online assessment. 
One way or another, I won't have time to get anxiety prone about his one. 
-- Bob
---------

... yes, that means I did the entire interview spaced on cold/flu medication.

I let the interviewer know, she was cool about it.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:... yes, that means I did the entire interview spaced on cold/flu medication.

I let the interviewer know, she was cool about it.
I've done a preliminary interview clad in only a towel. I grant you it was conducted over the phone but....
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:I've done a preliminary interview clad in only a towel. I grant you it was conducted over the phone but....
Now there's a frood who really knows where his towel is!
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Hoopy!
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

I just completed the two-hour online assessment. Not bad, about 50 percent personality inventory and 50 percent aptitude testing. But taking an assessment with "Mental Acuity" and "Perception" sections while hopped up on cold medicine is not exactly one of the smartest things I've ever done.
-- Bob
---------

robkelk Wrote:
Quote:I've done a preliminary interview clad in only a towel. I grant you it was conducted over the phone but....
Now there's a frood who really knows where his towel is!
What do you want me to do?...say to my soon to be boss "I can't talk right now, I just got out of the shower"? For what it's worth I got the job...which I got just laid off from.
The good news is that I've completed one resume which the former head of HR at VA Long Beach read thru. He said if I don't get at least one interview, something is wrong. So I'll submit it to the VA in Iowa City tomorrow. Got fitted for a complete interview ensemble today.  So I'm hitting about 2 applications a day on the average.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell