Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(North-)East Coast USA Snow Storm Thread

in re: the Kardashians... I don't even remember why they're "famous," beyond, well, *insert crass comment here.*

But yeah, it's very obvious where the "major" new outlets are headquartered.

"Who cares about record snowfalls and starvation in Fargo, North Dakota? This single snowflake in Daytona Beach made *random celebrity* jump the curb and SCRATCH his car's FINISH?"
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

That is because if you take a 50 mile wide marker and draw a line between washinton dc and new york you get most of the people in the usa, with most of the remainder huddling on the other coast. It's flyover country because there are only a few million people living there, and there is a huge amount of space.

Most of the news people care about is in the area where people actually live. to counterbalance that you have disproportionate influence through your senators.

But yay for the gov being closed due to snow, not so yay for telecommuting.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Bristol-Myers Squibb (at least the NJ facilities) was closed tomorrow before they ended the day today, according to Peggy. So she already knows she doesn't have to go in, and we're planning on a long sleep-in.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Well. We've got what looks like six to eight inches out there as of right now, mid-morningish, and it's still coming down. Not that that's a surprise, but I just wanted to say something about it.
-- Bob
---------

What little snow we got over the weekend is 99% gone from the roads. This morning's commute was actually on the fast side of normal..

loving this winter's weather pattern 8/
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Well. We've got what looks like six to eight inches out there as of right now, mid-morningish, and it's still coming down. Not that that's a surprise, but I just wanted to say something about it.
Don't ruin your back clearing it all in one go, Bob. With that much snow, it's easier to shovel off the top two inches, then the next two inches, and so on until you get to the pavement, then move forward and do that again, slowly cutting a path to the road that way, then working from the cut to the edges of the walkway and driveway using the same process.

At least, that's how I cleared that much snow last year. It's a slow process, but it's much easier on the back than trying to do it all at once...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

And it looks like I might some of that Deep Snow Action myself today...

Thank Ghu all I gotta do is brush off my car....
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

RE: Dallas White Christmas;

Yeah, that shit never... ever... everevereververevereverever... HAPPENS. This is really a first for them and there was probably no shortage of celebration in addition to the ibuprofin being passed around for snow removal efforts.

Lemme put it to you another way - you do not get blizards in Texas... except maybe in the Panhandle. Instead, if you're gonna get crappy winter weather, it will be in the form of freezing rain instead of snow. I remember one time living in Austin we got about an inch of solid ice covering everything - think it was '95 or '96. Yeah, we try not to do anything by halves. Wink

Quote:Don't ruin your back clearing it all in one go, Bob.
Oh, I won't. I had the first 8 inches removed around noontime by a couple guys who came by. Cost me most of the cash in my pocket, but it cut the later job in half for me. As for technique, I use a variation on that for when I get to the plowed-in bit at the end of the driveway, but for everything else, we have push shovels. Even with heavy wet snow, they make most of the job reasonably easy and low-impact.

But thanks for the advice anyway!
-- Bob
---------

Storm passed yesterday. Clear and sunny in the 70's here in So-Cal. Low in the 40's. Oh well.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I still haven't seen any of it (and am not likely to, given the way the winds blow), but amusingly the storms have had a pretty significant impact on me this week.
My boss is stuck at the airport back East.  His flight's been cancelled, until Saturday, "maybe sooner if we can find space for you".
Whee!  I get to juggle both our jobs for another few days!

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Sofaspud Wrote:Whee!  I get to juggle both our jobs for another few days!
Be sure to mention that come performance-review time. If Something Goes Wrong, it's his fault for not being there; if Everything Goes Well, your management skills were at least part of the reason why. It's win-win.
--
Rob Kelk

Just got back inside after doing the second pass on the driveway, this time taking off a foot of snow that had fallen in the six hours since the first shoveling. (That's 32 cm for you folks who have been spared the vagaries of Imperial measurements.) And by the time I reached the street, there was a new inch or so of snow up by the garage doors.

I'm not looking forward to the inevitable third shoveling tomorrow around 6 AM, which will be needed to get Peggy to work.
-- Bob
---------

You might want to shovel before you go to bed tonight. At the worst, you'll go to bed tired. If you're lucky, it'll stop falling overnight and you won't have to shovel in the morning. More likely, you'll have done some of the work tonight so you'll have less to do tomorrow.
--
Rob Kelk

Maybe. I'm exhausted, aching and grumpy right now, and I'm not sure I can bestir myself to head back outside again, especially that late.

Plus, Peg's still trying to figure out if she'll even be going to work at all tomorrow. The company emergency line is still playing the recording from Tuesday night.
ETA:  An hour later, the plow has come by and buried the entrance of the driveway for the third time.  As soon as I finish my late dinner, I guess I'm heading out again.  Dammit.
-- Bob
---------

I'll bet you there isn't a snow blower to be had on the entire east coast...

Bob Schroeck Wrote:ETA:  An hour later, the plow has come by and buried the entrance of the driveway for the third time.  As soon as I finish my late dinner, I guess I'm heading out again.  Dammit.
Bit of advice, since it sounds like you don't live in a 'snow state', Bob: put markers at the end of your driveway with brightly-colored tape or reflectors at the tips.  Space them so that they're sticking in the snow on either side of and just inside your driveway.  Plows generally understand this as "this here is my driveway, please don't bury me".
I have two five-foot wooden dowels with neon-pink tape wrapped at the ends for just this purpose.  It doesn't prevent the plow-man from being a jerkass and walling you in anyway, but most of them are decent enough sorts and tend to listen.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Oh, the plows know where the driveways are -- this is a suburban neighborhood with very obvious driveways, even in the snow. But I'll give your idea a try for the next snowstorm.

Oh, and I got us dug out again for the third and final time at about quarter to eleven. And the snow had stopped, so I was able to peel away the last inch or so and give the car a final clean. Yay.
-- Bob
---------

Right now in Yokosuka, it may not be snowing, but it sure as hell ain't pleasant. Rain, at 37 degrees farenheit (3 degrees celsius), with 16mp/h (25km/h) winds driving the windchill factor down to 28 (-3) degrees... but with that rain out ther it feels a lot worse (accuweather's Real Feel says it feels like 19 (-7) which feels pretty damn close to me. Snow is supposed to come later on our forecast, but fat chance of that stuff sticking.

Argh. Fourth and final (?) dig-out was this morning at 7:30. A plow came by one more time and filled in the end of the driveway again. And took up the manhole cover 30 feet down the street. Fortunately, it wasn't a big fill; it took me only 15 minutes or so to clear it away. And the manhole cover was found and replaced within an hour.

Hopefully now I can sit down and quietly ache for more than a couple hours at a shot.
-- Bob
---------

Yowza, Bob. Brings back memories, that does. Back in... february of '91, I think it was, I was in Buffalo, living in the dorms, when the big storm came through there. Snow lining the streets higher than my head....
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Well, most of the snow isn't higher than my head, but the one pile to the right of the driveway entrance is...
-- Bob
---------

It has been snowing all day here in Dallas.
We've got about 6-8 inches of the stuff accumulated.
Did I mention this NEVER HAPPENS?
Alternating between quietly freaking out and blissing at the pretty snow...
EDIT: UPDATE: The morning after.
12-15 INCHES OF SNOW has fallen in Dallas, Texas!!
I went out and walked around in it. Then drove a short distance in the neighborhood. It's so pretty and quiet. Every tree, every single twig, has snow piled on it. Every fence. The signs. Everything. In places, your feet sink up past your ankles.
I was about to despair of not having a working camera with which to take pics, but a friend of mine got some great ones.
Here they are -
And here's some more -
We haven't had this much snow in this area since 1979. And I think we've about matched or broken that record.

wow, those are some very nice shots of a light snow.

Thanks Wire, you keep saying these things so I don't have to. Big Grin
(My wife: "They can still see their roads.  What're they bitching about?")

--sofaspud