Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragon Age: Origins

So far, I'm enjoying this game. Honestly, I've had it for about 3 weeks, but never really started playing it till last night. Thusfar I've only made one character (A Dalish Rogue) and I'm about to start the ritual to join the Grey Wardens (Yeah, not very far).

I think I may be disappearing from CoH for a while (sans the weekends with ZK and Dren). ^_^

I highly recommend stopping after the ritual, and running through all the origin stories. Also, 'your' class makes a BIG difference in how you play (there are two 'other' rogues who join up, Leliana and Zevran, so you won't be without lockpicking forever).

What platform are you playing it on?
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

I played as a Melee Rogue, and the key to them is to get as many of the AoE and stun attacks as possible. Zev I spec'd similarly, and Leliana as a Ranged fighter.

We were all stupidly effective, especially if you spec'd all the Warriors as aggro-magnets.

I played as a mage, and still included both Morrigan and Wynne in my part. It was pretty hilarious, I think after level 7 it was unusual for anyone to actually get hit. My favorite tactic is a glyph of repulsion in a door way + lots of AOE. Also, some of the spell combination (Storm of the Century) are amazing.

Ahh, Ironforge, errr, Kaladim, errr, Orzammar!
Politics and fighting and chasing nugs, I do so love a dwarven town.
I'm starting to get concerned that Morrigan and Leliana may come to blows.

I really enjoyed Orgi... er, no wait, Orzammar.
Wait till you get to wander the deep roads. *Starts humming tune. Yes, THAT one.*

Just finished my time in The Fade and I have to say that Golem form should be the first anyone who has not yet done The Broken Circle arc should get (Though you get Mouse first, so I suppose second).  It makes the Demons at the end of each part easy to beat down on as well as kicking Sloth's butt (Tanked in Golem with Allistair while Wynne healed and Leliana plunked him with arrows. Worked out pretty good.
Now i'm off to read either the tabletop RPG books for DA or the two novels that came out.  Not sure which yet.

I loathed the Fade.

Pop into the Fade, freak out, spend ten minutes confirming my TV didn't just break..

PTHBT.

I found the Fade to be interesting. A little wierd, but interesting. And once I could become a hulking brute of rock, pretty easy.

Golem Form makes everything better.

Though I did like Burning Man. Apply fireball, receive win.

That's true. Burning man was fun when facing those Rage demons.

"Oh isn't that cute. You want to hurt me with fire? Try investing in a bow like mine. Might actually hurt me then."

*plunk plunk plunk*

But as a Golem, Hurl for the win, usually. Open door, chuck rock, collect XP. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Did the Jarvia battle last night, wow-weee!

Got completely thrashed on my first runthrough, but was reminded of the proper application of cover by my sensei, who said unto me "don't be an idiot".

So I turned free move off, and parked Leliana and Morrigan right by the entrance door, since they're both ranged. Parked me and Alistair about 15 feet ahead of them, and let the baddies come to me.

worked out VERY well. Rawr.

Hmm, maybe need to consider that option for future battles. I've lost a few due to their sudden need to be closer to the enemy.  Drives me batty at times.

You just need to keep really close tabs on people when "auto kick arse" is turned off as they will sometimes stop attacking and just stand there stupidly.  What tactics you have set up for people can also greatly effect how close they want to be to the enemy.
However it does seem that all the boss fights are made so much simpler when one is a Blood Mage ...... Muah ha ha ha ha!
"There are no problems that cannot be solved with cannons."
-Chief Engineer Boris Kraus of Nuln

"I'm a blood mage!"

"you're a dwarf."

"I'm a BLOOD MAGE."

"Where did you even get a bandolier of vials?"

I am going to mod this game to have sharks, and I am going to feed Leliana to them.

GRR.

Now having a machine that can play today's games, I intend to acquire this puppy at the first budgetary opportunity. Smile
Is having the expansion pack installed from the beginning an advantage, or can it wait?
--Sam
"I think we just ran over a ninja back there."

The DLC is an advantage, the expansion pack, not so much.

To be honest, I'd give it a month or two and pick up the Gold Edition (or whatever they call it)

I'm not known for patience in these matters... >.

The advantage of having the Stone Prisoner expansion early is it give you access to the awsomesause tank Shale.
Shale make things go squish

Finally got the Broken Circle and Redcliffe arcs done (Part of me so wanted to have Morrigan play the asshat in The Fade, maybe with my city elf), confronted Leliana's former friend in Denerim, and got Zeverin.

Is it just me, or did anyone else thing Antonio Banderas when you first speak with Zeverin?

Too bad by default Zev is a terrible rogue and a rather crappy assassin with default tactics / power choices =P
With some work though he can haul some rear.  
It kinda reminded me of puss n boots from shrek2 ... not surprising voised by Banderas.

Yay!

no, I was right with you on the elf-antonio-banderas. Which is why Zevvy is sitting in 'limbo', 'cause fuck that.

nothing beats the interplay between Alistar and Leliana and Morrigan, anyway.

True. Those three are great to listen to. I've also gotten a kick out of one I heard in Denerim between Alistar and Wynne regarding Alistar's dirty sock in Wynne's bedroll.

Wynne: Alistair, what's this?

Alistair: It's a sock?

Wynne: It's a filthy sock. How did it find its way to my bedroll?

Alistair: Maybe it likes you? Socks are sneaky like that. Anyway, it's not mine.

Wynne: It has your name stitched on it.

Alistair: Oh. Ha, ha. Ha. Part of templar training, back at the Chantry. The men were... always getting their socks mixed up. Anyway, uh, sorry about that. I'll take it from you right now. One of my socks is feeling a little damp anyway. A change would be nice.

Wynne: You're going to put it on? It's filthy!

Alistair: And dry. We're not exactly traveling in the lap of luxury, here.

Wynne: What hideous habits you've picked up.

OK, so, i found a site that posts all of the inter-character dialogue that happens during the game and, while some may not care much for using Zeverim, his dialogue with Wynne is a riot to read:

Wynne: You must know that murder is wrong, I assume.

Zevran: I'm sorry... are you speaking to me?

Wynne: That is why you wish to leave your Crows. A crisis of conscience.

Zevran: Yes, that is exactly it.

Wynne: Joke if you wish, but I have the feeling that deep down you regret the life you have lived.

Zevran: It's true. I regret it all.

Wynne: Must you be such a child? Are you incapable of a single, serious conversation?

Zevran: I know. I am terrible and it makes me sad. May I rest my head in your bosom? I wish to cry.

Wynne: You can cry well away from my bosom, I'm certain

Zevran: Did I tell you I was an orphan? I never knew my mother.

Wynne: Egad. I give up.

--

Wynne: Have you changed your mind yet? Are you willing to speak seriously?

Zevran: Of your bosom? As you wish.

Wynne: (exasperated) No, I do not wish to speak of my bosom.

Zevran: But it is a marvelous bosom. I have seen women half your age who have not held up half so well. Perhaps it is a magical bosom?

Wynne: Stop... talking about my bosom.

Zevran: But I thought you wished to speak seriously?

Wynne: I do. I thought, however foolishly, that you might be willing to speak of your past.

Zevran: We could do that. There have been many bosoms in my past, though only few as fine as yours.

Wynne: Enough. I am ending this conversation.

--

Zevran: You have not asked my about my conscience for some time, my darling Wynne.

Wynne: That is correct. And I am not your "darling."

Zevran: (Sigh) So once again I am rejected, just as I am by the cruel, cruel fates. They are harsh mistresses to the elves.

Wynne: Zevran, I am old enough to be your grandmother.

Zevran: You say that like it's a bad thing.

Wynne: And what would you do with me if you had me, hmm? This is a game you play, nothing more.

Zevran: Ha, you are a cynical woman, Wynne.

Zevran: Cynical and powerful. It drives me mad with desire.

Wynne: ...

Wynne: I am going to walk away now.

--

Zevran: So let us pretend that I do, indeed, believe that murder is wrong.

Wynne: (coldly) We are not having this conversation.

Zevran: Were I to believe such a thing, what would I do with it? Feeling guilt about things one can no longer change seems to very time-consuming with little hope for actual gain.

Wynne: But you could change what you do in the future.

Zevran: (Sigh) What would that require, exactly? It seems to me that feeling guilty would take up a great deal of my time as it is.

Wynne: Perhaps you could save a life, instead? One for every life you have taken.

Zevran: That is a great many lives to save and feel guilty as well. Perhaps I could do one or the other?

Wynne: It is not a game, Zevran. You either know right from wrong or you do not.

Zevran: I... I am so confused. I think I may cry. May I lay my head in your bosom?

Wynne: (Cry of frustration) No! No! You may not!

Zevran: You are so very cruel. How is it that you do not feel guilty?

Wynne: I feel guilty for having ever spoken to you.

--

Zevran: You know, Wynne... I have a friend back in Antiva who would be very excited to meet you.

Wynne: I'm sorry?

Zevran: Salvail prefers women with experience and maturity. He says they have more substance, are more robust and flavorful.

Wynne: Does he now?

Zevran: Indeed. No need to deny it, Zevran knows a fine bird with he sees one.

Wynne: I am not a bird!

Zevran: There is no reason to deny yourself the pleasure of male companionship, after all, yes?

Zevran: You might balk now, but I assure you, Salvail is a gentleman of means, and quite handsome...

Wynne: I am going to walk away now. Calmly. Coolly. This is to save you the pain of having your brain forcibly removed through your ears.

Zevran: Tsk. This must be a Ferelden thing, I swear.

--

Zevran: You know, I have heard stories about your Circle of the Magi, my dear Wynne.

Wynne: Is that so.

Zevran: There is a Circle in my country, of course, but perhaps things are different here.

Zevran: I visited the Antivan Circle on official Crow business, once. Met a beautiful young apprentice who was very eager for a taste of the outside world...

Wynne: Please! Please, get to the point.

Zevran: All I wonder is whether the templars guard the mages here as closely as they do in Antiva.

Zevran: In Antiva, the templars watch the Circle like a jealous husband guarding the chastity of a wanton bride.

Wynne: Interesting metaphor, but yes, it is not too different in Ferelden.

Zevran: And is it also true that when the moon swells to fullness, the mages of the Circle gather at the top floor of their tower and, naked under the stars, make love to each other?

Wynne: What? No! Maker's breath...

Zevran: Oh. I found out recently that it was not true in Antiva and hoped that it would be in Ferelden. Alas.

--

Zevran: I couldn't help hearing about your... predicament. Forgive me if I am prying...

Wynne: Yes, you are.

Zevran: ... but what does it feel like being possessed by a spirit?

Wynne: Why does this interest you so?

Zevran: I simply wish to get to know those that I travel with. Is that wrong of me?

Wynne: No, of course it isn't. Well... let me see. It is hard to describe. It is comforting... I... I feel safe, loved.

Zevran: Comforted, loved, yes...

Wynne: It is like being held close, cradled... the bond is so complete that I am unable to extricate myself, nor do I wish to. Wait... why do you have that look on your face?

Zevran: Mmm, I... I am simply imagining it. Continue, please.

Wynne: And there is a constant warmth, that spreads outwards from the very center of my being, infusing my body with--

Zevran: Ooh...

Wynne: Andraste's grace, what are you thinking about now? No, I don't want to know. I feel dirty. Do not speak to me.