Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragon Age: Origins

@Wired

There are mods out there that allow for respec and being able to turn off all auto leveling so that when an ally joins, they have all unspecced points which you can then choose on whatever you like. Just google for them.

I'm ps3 version, more's the pity.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Got it, got started (female human warrior).
...These characters are in desperate need of a pack of Wet Wipes.  o.O;
--Sam
"I weave a lethal net of baked goods that few can escape."

No one ever said sword combat was clean =D
"There are no problems that cannot be solved with cannons."
-Chief Engineer Boris Kraus of Nuln

I think the whole 'covered in bits of darkspawn' aesthetic just adds to the experience, to be honest.

Evil Midnight Lurker Wrote:Got it, got started (female human warrior).
...These characters are in desperate need of a pack of Wet Wipes.  o.O;
That's why you have a dog!

Yeah, now if only he could lick himself clean. Smile  It's oddly jarring when the humans have cleaned up and Dogmeat still looks like something out of 101 Dalmatians: The Bloodening.
Nabbed every bit of DLC that wouldn't require the purchase of an extra copy of the game, feeling slightly cheesetastic now.
At Ostagar, preparing to head out and retrieve darkspawn blood.  The stuff that drives you mad.  Yeah, this isn't going to be one of those happy fun initiations, is it?
--Sam
"It should be fine, as long as we don't lick it."

whats a little blood between friends?   You know as they say .... whats the worst that could happen?

Korcari Wilds: These are the big bad darkspawn?  Their press indicates that even one or two are a serious threat, and here we are threshing them like wheat.  I wouldn't want to face the incoming horde with just Alistair and the two temps, but this is kinda ridiculous.
What's annoying is that there's a lot of treasure here that we can't touch, because my toon is a warrior and the temp thief didn't put any ranks in the lockpicking tree -- and the temps don't level, so we'll never be able to open the damn chests.  Not even with the Return DLC, if I've got this right, because the Wilds aren't in it.  Where's my bash-the-chest-open option?  Minsc weeps manly tears at our lack of muscle!
--Sam
"We are not two men -- we are TEN men!"

True, I do with there was a forceopen option on locked chests. But oh well.

BTW, something ZK told me that I didn't realize about the wilds. If you're a 2-handed weapon wielder, there's a nice Chasind Flatblade out there as well as some nice chasind armor that can be found if you find every Chasind Trail Marker.

Regarding the DLC, it somehow seems a little unfair that the Saternalia gifts give a +50 to approval ratings with no drawbacks (Or cost, sans the DLC cost). Though, I suppose it's not too bad if you've gone through the game several times and want to get through that part of it. Played for about 4 hours yesteday, restarting my Human Nobleman and already have Leliana @ 100. Just cannot do her personal quest yet it seems.

Bah! Reloaded Rhydderch from the auto-save from Lothering so I can get Leliana to 100 normally. Probably use the other gifts for the other NPCs though to make friends.

The Dead Trenches last night.

This, this was NOT what I was expecting. I picked up the Key to the City, and the equipment shuffle has been very good to both myself and Alistair. So, I'm stylish and protected in my Legion of the Dead armor, Alistair is rocking chunks of the Effort set, and Leliana and Morrigan, well, they.. look good?

Note to self, upgrade mage and rogue equipment.

So, Dead Trenches. VERY intimidating opening cinematic. Enough said there, I'll save you the spoiler. However, the level itself was a letdown. The encounters were far to 'friable', the two times I got wiped, I was able to 'hold' my party back around a corner or other choke point, stick my hairy dwarven snoz in front of whatever bad guy crushed us last time, and he'd happily run after me...

Leaving the rest of his Evil Team behind. Guess they were on hold, too.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to make sense out of the Broodmother encounter, reading stuff and even making notes, then I got there, and my entire brain fell out my ear. MASSIVE KUDOS to Bioware, especially since they made the runup to this encounter work so very good with 5.1 channel sound.

Thoroughly freaked out (I imagine, in-game, Morrigan and Alistair sharing a 'you have GOT to be kidding me' look at my Warden and Leliana, who are probably cringing together like chilly kittens at this point), I completely forgot what the hell I was thinking and planning, waltzed into the broodmother encounter, and proceeded to trash everything in the room.

Except for one off moment when a half-dozen tentacles turned Leliana into a Japanese Schoolgirl trope (guro, unfortunately, not hentai. I think I got liver in my hair), the encounter went VERY well. Morrigan dinged, and we're investigating the Spirit Healer spec.. delicious Group Rez.

The Broodmother is one of them encounters that is really quite easy or a total pain depending on your tactics =)
The AoE rez is nice but the area is rather smallmake sure your people all die on a nice neat little pile heh heh ... I find the group heal to be more worth the it since it heals the group in a huge area ... I don't think I've ever had a guy outside of the range of group heal come to think of it.  Also Cleansing Aura (the last power in that line) also has a kick butt secondary effect.  Of course when one of your dudes eats dirt (splat) you get one of them lovely little debuffs that you normaly need to use an injury kit or go to camp to get rid of.   Every time you activate Cleansing Aura it will remove one of these from every party member except the caster.   Kinda nice to activate it, clear a debuff, deactivate it, to remove them pesky debuffs for free =D

Quote:The Broodmother is one of them encounters that is really quite easy or a total pain depending on your tactics =)

Aside from Leliana getting to do the Tentacle Rape Shuffle, that fight was pure gravy. Pick target, attack, special, ring menu, switch to Morrigan, cast buff, switch to Alistair, unring, select target, attack, special, switch Morrigan, cast heal, switch Warden, pick target, attack, special, wash rinse repeat.

Morrigan appears to have better Sphincter Tension than Leliana, as she was able to fend off multiple attempted tentacle invasions.

Probably gonna start Redcliffe again tonight if I have the time after class. Wanna try to do some things I missed last time.

I hate to recommend it, but a walkthrough is very VERY useful in this game, especially if you're like me and don't particularily believe in replay

I'm done with Orzramar. I _Loathe_ politics, like when I've got to put my kinslaying, patricidal, power-mad tyrant of a brother on the throne because it's the right thing to do.

Morrigan achieved the rank of Master Herbalist while we were underground, so four stacks of flasks and the lot of us headed to Denerim. We stopped by the camp on the way there, and Morrigan explained some things about her mom..

Who I need to kill now.

Who is a dragon.

Who I can't fight with my sole healer in my party.

I am fairly concerned with this. I managed to distract myself, however, with the Cheating Bastard shuffle, and I now have over 1100 gold 8)

Dragons in this are really the pinnacle displays of badassness.  If you are not prepared they will shake you off like a bad case of fleas.
Alistair or Shale make good dragon bait ... or you if you are a sword and board user.
If you use Alstair (or you) I think you'll need Juggernaught or Dragon Scale armor ... both have good fire resist.  Higher level Warden Commander plate may work too.
If you use Shale you'll want to break out the high powered fire crystal body armor. 

Rule 1 when fighting dragons: only the tank goes into melee ... anyone of lesser armor will just get mauled.  Break out them bows/crossbows!
Rule 2: Don't bunch up the ranged.  Keep them scattered as far apart as possible.

I find having more than one melee on the dragon taxes your healer too much .. unless they are both built like brick shithouses to tank and spank dragons.
IE. Alistair in Juggernaught and Sten in Dragon scale.  Rogues in melee = bad idea.
The main tank though should consentrate on drawing aggro with threaten and taunt.

This generalization has worked for me every time.  While some combinations are better than others you really can't go wrong with Shale tanking =)

no DLC here, borrowed game.

I'm developing a solution, and like all my favorite solutions, it involves abusing game mechanics to accomplish something in a way the developers never intended.

To this end, I'm going to take some of this 1100 gold I have, and go whip up 99 Greater Health Poultices. Then change up the tactics for my party (I'm running Alistair, Oghren, Warden, Leliana), and have everyone pop heal at 75% hps. Early projections indicate that _should_ be enough to drop Morrigan's mother, the Dragon Lady.

Also, Flemeth just looks filthy. I mean, seriously filthy. Her hair is all stringy and her face has dirt in it, I think I see a soup stain on her dress... show a little pride, woman, it may be a borrowed body, but that doesn't excuse your treatment of it!

Well, didn't quite get Redcliffe started. Went and reclaimed Warden's Keep again so my 2-hander can get the Warden Commander armor. that took a chunk of the night so I'm gonna try Redcliffe next. This time though, gotta make sure to get every side quest. Screwed up the parts with the spy, the barkeep, and keeping others alive during the seige

I'm assuming, Wire, that since you put your "kinslaying, patricidal, power-mad tyrant of a brother" on the throne of Ozem. that you are a dwarf noble =P

With no DLC there are still ways to make tank and spank team for dragons.  If yours has issues dropping her give this a try.

For your particular group I reccomend:
Alistair get him Templar Knight armor.... or is it Templar Commander ...
Dwarf Warden gets the Juggernaught (assuming warrior)
Oghren could be packing a full set of Legion of the Dead
Leliana ... Dailish leather seems to work good for her

Dragon scale is also an option if you killed the dragon "andraste" on the hilltop north of Haven during the sacred ashes quest.

Let me know if the filthy witch still give you problems ^.^

Base: So far, Redcliffe has been my least favorite quest area. The Castle was OK, though. Kinda wish I had the Warden's Keep DLC!

Z: I'm wearing the Legion set, I'll look into the Juggernaught and Templar Commander armors. I think I'm going to end up doing the Dalish line before I re-address the dragon anyway, so sweety-pie can have her some Dalish Bondage Elf armors.

The Juggernaught set quest is started in the old temple in the Dalish area and finished in the forest.

You will have to kill multiple Reverants to get it (1 for each piece ... 4 total)

I like Recliffe (hell, I like the game in general). But I do wish Bann Teegan would be out there fighting and generally whuppin ass with everyone else. Bann Teegan is da man! Big Grin

Sorry, was browsing peple's fan art on the Bioware social forums and found someone's rendition of, as they called him, the Bannhammer.

http://i201.photobucket.c...osQuizzical/teagan-5.jpg

that.. may be an unhealthy level of interest in a character. Also possibly NSFW.

hella amusing, though.

You talk to the gal stuck working for that waste of flesh bartending in Redcliffe? I dropped her 5 sovs and wish I could find her in Denerim to check up on her.