Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Hunt Thread, Incarnation The Third

blackaeronaut Wrote:That's awesome to hear about, Bob! It's a load off my mind that you guys will still be able to make the payments on time.
Well, as soon as we get back to San Antonio, I'm gonna have to start dropping apps myself. Wish me luck. Smile
Let me know if you need tips on how to crack the government job system.

And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Grats, Bob! Now I need to buckle down and up my own pace. 

Leaving for the first day of work in a couple minutes. Had a horrible night's sleep. Find myself terribly anxious and nervous. Gah.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Lunchtime, first day on the job. So far, so good, but hardly representational, I'm sure. I'm still getting set up with the hardware and software I'm going to be working with. They've given me a Sony VAIO laptop as my machine.

Coworkers seem like a fun, personable bunch. I'm looking forward to this.

More tonight after I get home.
-- Bob
---------

Congratulations on getting to the end of the long road, Bob. You've persisted more than any other person I've ever met in getting here, and you never gave up through all the blood, sweat and tears. Now go have a beer and relax. You've earned it.

EDIT: Apparently I was a little late to the bandwagon. Ah well.

Don't worry about being late.

The place is an interesting mix of laughter and intensity. And it's a very freewheeling work environment, definitely a home to a hacker-like sensibility. One of my coworkers described it as "the wild west", at least in terms of your choice of tools and utilities -- whatever works to get the job done, just as long as you don't set a virus loose on the company network.

Spent most of the day getting set up, and started looking at the company's code in the last 90 minutes or so. If I hadn't slept so badly last night, I would have enjoyed it more.

Tomorrow I start laying out the design for my first assignment. Wish me luck.
-- Bob
---------

That's good. Good luck. Smile

I remember my first day at my first... and thus far only... job. It was a blast for a 6 month Internship. Unfortunately they weren't hiring when I popped out at the end of college. Nowhere is. Not graduates when there's a big chunk of experienced on the dole.

Congrats on rejoining the Land of the Employed, Bob; hope you stay for a long, long time.

Dartz Wrote:I remember my first day at my first... and thus far only... job. It was a blast for a 6 month Internship. Unfortunately they weren't hiring when I popped out at the end of college. Nowhere is. Not graduates when there's a big chunk of experienced on the dole.
If you can, do some volunteer work in your field. You don't get paid, but you do pad out your resume and you're keeping your skills current.

(If you need to earn money, then volunteer work is a non-starter, of course.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I've thought about it. Need to grab a drivers license first since public transport just stops outside Dublin city.

I talked about unpaid placements with the guy in Fás, and unless it was somewhere within easy reach he suggested I don't really bother. Jobseekers allowance won't cover rent and travel, or moving to a new town. I can move but I'd need something paying to support that.

It's a bit of a bind, but I'll figure it out. I'll grab something, somewhere. Worst comes to worse I'll scratch the cash up and try skip the country and see what I can get abroad.

Dartz Wrote:I've thought about it. Need to grab a drivers license first since public transport just stops outside Dublin city.

I talked about unpaid placements with the guy in Fás, and unless it was somewhere within easy reach he suggested I don't really bother. Jobseekers allowance won't cover rent and travel, or moving to a new town. I can move but I'd need something paying to support that.

It's a bit of a bind, but I'll figure it out. I'll grab something, somewhere. Worst comes to worse I'll scratch the cash up and try skip the country and see what I can get abroad.
Well, what ever you do, do not come to Alabama..they are tough on immigration around here.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

It's a long term thing.

I'll be getting my full license by September if I'm lucky. If I don't have work by the end of the year I'll have to start figuring out where I'm going to go. NY, Boston, East Coast US, Canada or Australia are the usual routes. But... that's an unsettling shadow to have over you. If I'm going, I probably won't be coming home and I'll be going somewhere where I don't know anywone and it's a scary possibility.

But, it's all a while away. And something I don't want to think about right now. I'd rather hope I get something somewhere on home soil, even if it's somewhere out down the country, because I can at least get home during the weekends.. when I get that license, my range will expand better and it'll stand on my CV better than just a provisional.

Dartz, look at it this way. You are not the first sod to leave the Emerald Isle to look for fame and fortune elsewhere and you won't be the last. I had to leave California to find a job. There is nothing stopping you from going back once in a while.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

It's a long way away. It's just something I'm considering atm. I haven't bought the tickets yet Tongue But I would be the first from my family to go if I do.

It looms because it's really not something I want to do.

*ding!*

Gratz, Bob!

Dartz, while Australia may be an option for ya - appliances & what not just need a new plug, drive on the same side of road etc- just remember you know those homeless peeps under a bridge that Bob feared becoming, I've been noticing them and the evidence of them more often lately in and around inner city Melbourne.