Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Hunt Thread, Incarnation The Third

That jives with what I remember from investigating this several weeks ago; the question remains, though, if this info from a month back is still relevant to yesterday's developments.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

It's still relevant. The problem is that if you don't have a job at the end of 99 weeks, the federal government stop paying. The the state now has to make a decision on whether to pick you up or not. The bill has to extend to another tier or two, but the Republicans shot that down.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Well, this is interesting
The Bureau of Ocean Management aka as the Minerals Management Service is looking for a few good folks. So do I want to?
1. Join a government entity that right now is synonymous with the word corrupt?
2. Be the enforcer on a rig in the middle of nowhere where there is a good chance of either being blown up due to an accident..or worse dropped into the ocean if I piss off these guys enough? Smile
Eh, I'll think about it.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Definitely Gallows Time -Now I Panic!
I looked at the California EDD site. No extension means this is going to be really bad, This is similar to my situation: 

A worker who’s been unemployed for about 15 straight months: After running out of regular UI benefits and then a first extension tier of benefits, the individual is now 12 weeks into a full 14-week second extension tier. The individual will be able to collect two more weeks of extension benefits if they remain unemployed and otherwise eligible. But there will be no further extension benefits available after that (no 3rd or 4th extension tier or FED-ED) without further Congressional action.

I'ved run out of the regular UI benefits and first extension tier and and I'm into the 6th week of the 2nd extension 14 week tier. That more or less means that in 2 months I will be out of benefits. Damm. Don't mind me..I'm in full panicking mode now.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Amusing Typo of the Day
Quote:To be qualified, this candidate should have 710 years of hands-on experience with .net framework (2.0/3.0/3.5).
-- Bob
---------

So only open to Time Lords, I guess.

Definitely. (Even if it said "7-10 years of hands-on experience with .net framework (2.0/3.0/3.5)", since .NET Framework 2.0 is only 4 years old.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Speaking of Time Lords...
From my email dated today  6/28/10
Quote:We are requesting that you fax or e-mail the following
documentation for further consideration for this position at this grade
level.
Documents should be e-mailed or faxed to censored at censored by
Monday, June 21, 2010.
 Does anyone know how to email/fax back in time?
I was pretty depressed when I woke today.This came in @ 1100 local. Then I was higher than a kite. Now I'm drained and very tempted to get smashed in my room. These hi-low yo-yo's are gonna kill me.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

??

I'm confused... is there a time-stamp on the e-mail? And when did you receive it? Is your e-mail server a little hosed?
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

The time date stamp said sent 6/28/10 14:03:50 -0400

and received Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:03:51 -0700

Different time zones but the email server was still quick. The simplest explanation is that she was using a template and forgot to change the date and she didn't proofread it. She had to get it out in a hurry. I'ved been in the same boat so I don't hold it against her. Ain't bureaucracy grand?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Get the documents in as soon as possible...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

robkelk Wrote:Get the documents in as soon as possible...
Sent it in within 10 minutes. I already have it ready. Well..almost. They wanted my birth certificate and passport to prove my citizenship. I told her that I was born a citizen of another country and my passport was expired. So I sent a couple of other documents (SSN card, driver's license and naturalization certificate.) as well as my expired passport. I'm heading to the post office tomorrow and renew my passport.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:ordnance11 wrote:

1- position at OSHA (San Antonio, Texas)*

1- position at OSHA (Birmingham, Alabama)*

1- position at OSHA (Toledo, Ohio)

1- position at OSHA (Appleton, Wisconsin)

Legend: * - references checked

The OSHA folks at Appleton and Birmingham asked me how soon can I start so that is a good thing (at least I hope so). Figure 6 weeks before I get an answer back. So on that note...
EDITED *** whole bunch of reply redaction going on right here, because I'm stupid and I like my job (I was unemployed for 2 years before I got it) ***
btw - Wisconsin and Ohio are both in Region 5, based in Chicago, Birmingham is in Region 4 (Atlanta), and San Antonio is Region 6 (Dallas). At least none of your prospects are at the regional headquarters!

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

No problem here Jeanne. I'm ex-Army so homesteading is not something I'ved done. 'Sides..beggars cannot be choosers. The fact that the odds are good that I will get an offer hopefully is a good thing spritually. Especially it has now been a year officially since I got laid off. I never realized how being unemployed gnaws at you before and the thought of being about half a step from being one of those people begging on the freeway exits is something I tried very hard not to think about. *shudders*

So which state OSHA are you from? I might have to get from you a few tips on how to be an enforcer.

edit: I decided to Fed-Ex a copy of certificate of naturalization since it seems both in the PDF file and fax copies, the photos are too dark for the features. So, now we'll see.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

No problem here Jeanne. I'm ex-Army so homesteading is not something I'ved done. 'Sides..beggars cannot be choosers. The fact that the odds are good that I will get an offer hopefully is a good thing spritually. Especially it has now been a year officially since I got laid off. I never realized how being unemployed gnaws at you before and the thought of being about half a step from being one of those people begging on the freeway exits is something I tried very hard not to think about. *shudders*
So which state OSHA are you from? I might have to get from you a few tips on how to be an enforcer.

edit: I decided to Fed-Ex a copy of certificate of naturalization since it seems both in the PDF file and fax copies, the photos are too dark for the features. So, now we'll see.
Didn't realize you were naturalized. Any documents should help, I'd think.  Ex-military will help on pretty much any federal job these days - you get "extra credit". I work for Indiana.  Inspections range from fun to major pains in the backside. You have to get used to travelling pretty much all the time, although a lot of that is simple day-trips (for us, anyway).  Send me an email if you want to know more.

www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Quote:Didn't realize you were naturalized. Any documents should help, I'd
think.  Ex-military will help on pretty much any federal job these days -
you get "extra credit". I work for Indiana.  Inspections range from fun
to major pains in the backside. You have to get used to travelling
pretty much all the time, although a lot of that is simple day-trips
(for us, anyway).  Send me an email if you want to know more.
There are other documents to establish whether or not you're qualified to work here legally or not. Your ssn card and driver's license together also qualifies in lieu of a passport, but I'ved used my certificate of naturalization before as a substitute for a passport.
There is "extra" credit, "extra x 2" credit and "extra x  3" credit.  Extra credit would be 5 points for your veterans who didn't have the luck (or misfortune) to be in an overseas campaign. "Extra x 2" would be someone who has been in an overseas campaign (10 points). "Extra x 3" would had been "Extra x2" and a Purple heart...or worse.It's still 10 points but you go to the head of the pack if that's the case in your group. That's under one hiring authority and there are others.  It's fascinating the way the federal HR system works.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
I feel like doing a head desk motion now.
There actually is a how-to-guide on how to land a federal job:
How to Land a
Top-Paying Federal Job: Your Complete Guide to Opportunities,
Internships, Resumes and Cover Letters, Application Essays (KSAs),
Interviews, Salaries, Promotions and More!
By Lily Whiteman
I'll have to buy the book and read it over the 4th of July weekend, but based what I'ved browsed thru on some sections, it rings true. It also explains why for so very few of my applications for the DoD made it passed screening. This would had made my job hunt easier with this as a guide.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Some good news today:

First, a company I applied to at the beginning of June called me this afternoon to tell me they'll be calling me after the holiday weekend to set up a first interview. So yay there.

Second, I filed (as scheduled) for my next unemployment payment, and instead of being told (as I was about two months ago when the benefits were suspended for a while) that my claim couldn't be paid, I was told a payment would go out on the next business day. So... I appear to still have money in my current tier of extended benefits. Bigger yay.
-- Bob
---------
Coming on the 5 yard line!
Biggest yay!....I have been verbally offered the position of  OSHA Industrial Hygienist at San Antonio.
So: *inhale*
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!
*sigh*
Final approval upon physical exam TBD.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Biggest yay!....I have been verbally offered the position of  OSHA Industrial Hygienist at San Antonio.
So: *inhale*
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!
*sigh*
Final approval upon physical exam TBD.
Congratulations! And Texas, huh? Guess you get to help them in their ever-ongoing and endless battle with BP
Don't sweat the physical, btw - if you can pass a drug screen and a spirometry test (for wearing respirators), you're good to go.

www.jhedge.com

-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Done that in my sleep a lot.
So I get to be Javert, eh?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Got the packet for the physical, it's set for the 14th and 20th of this month.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Got one of my recent applications come back - Seoul for an IH position
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Forgot to mention -- I found an opening on Friday morning via a LinkedIn list I'm on, applied, and had a first phone interview by Friday afternoon. The contact was a recruiter, but he did the most thorough and detailed job (both on getting and giving information) of any recruiter I've talked with this entire search. He had me provide him with, among other stuff, an expanded resume (with my job history all the way back to college) and my references. He's going to be checking my references on Monday and then pitching me to the company -- a local firm with some really good numbers and a description that makes me want to work for them -- come Tuesday.
-- Bob
---------

Good luck with that ,Bob.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell