Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Hunt Thread, Incarnation The Third

Thanks.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Back. I froze up on the technical test. Gah.
-- Bob
---------
So...
Yesterday was the anniversary of losing my job.
Yesterday I also got a webpage when I attempted to file for the last week of unemployment on my current tier which told me that my benefit year had expired, and I had to talk to a live person at the Reemployment Call Center to see if I qualify for a new claim.
Calling that number just gets me a recording that says they're way too busy to talk to me and to call back, and then it hangs up on me.
Peggy's been working so late and hard that I haven't even had a chance to tell her yet.
I feel like I'm never going to be employed again, that I've wasted the opportunities of the last year, and that it's all for nothing.
-- Bob
---------

That sucks. I'm not that good at cheering people up, but just remember that you are a published (RPG) writer, which is more than most people achieve in their lifetimes. Besides, it took me a year to get a job after finishing university. You just have to keep plugging away. Don't let the bastards grind you down.
Look, I suck at cheering people up - but you do have people out there who care about you.

I agree. Don't give up.
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Yesterday was the anniversary of losing my job.
Yesterday I also got a webpage when I attempted to file for the last week of unemployment on my current tier which told me that my benefit year had expired, and I had to talk to a live person at the Reemployment Call Center to see if I qualify for a new claim.
Calling that number just gets me a recording that says they're way too busy to talk to me and to call back, and then it hangs up on me.
Peggy's been working so late and hard that I haven't even had a chance to tell her yet.
I feel like I'm never going to be employed again, that I've wasted the opportunities of the last year, and that it's all for nothing.
You're entitled to feeling sorry for yourself for 5 minutes, Bob.
*wait 5 minutes*
Now.. back to work!. You're going to get a good job that pays well and that's all to it!.  Remember, attitude = altitude! You got the entire forum as your support tm!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote:I feel like I'm never going to be employed again, that I've wasted the opportunities of the last year, and that it's all for nothing.
It was not all for nothing - you've got at least one headhunter interested in you and sharing your resume with other headhunters.

You've also made it to the interview stage quite a few times, which is a good sign in a recession. You're good enough to be hired; it's the companies that can't afford you, not the other way around.

Keep on soldiering, soldier - you'll get there eventually.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I feel like I'm never going to be employed again, that I've wasted the opportunities of the last year, and that it's all for nothing.
Dude, we've watched you sweat blood and tears on this one. You've been a hell of a lot more proactive about finding work than most people, including yours truly, so don't think that it's your fault. Chin up!
I'll be hornswoggled!
I was talking to a friend of mine in San Diego. Would you believe the bum was hired as a GS-14 five years ago? Without having a military background? I don't believe it!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

San Diego? Be thankful that you didn't get that one... Stuff's getting bad 'cost-of-living' wise.
_____

I am amazed at how carelessly some recruiters examine resumes. At the suggestion of several different folks some weeks back, my current resume now includes my full job history all the way back to the admin assistant position I held at a military contractor right out of college -- and I just got a call from a recruiter who, because either he or his search software saw "Aviation" in the company name, thought I was an aeronautical software engineer. Despite the fact that the job was 1 year long, 26 years ago, I haven't worked in the aerospace industry since, and the entry on the resume clearly says "Administrative Assistant". Sheesh.

Oh, and I've got an application in at Verizon via a recruiter and I'm waiting to see if anything comes of it...
-- Bob
---------

I worry about wishing peope good luck over the internet, because of my handle. that said, I really hope your application goes well.

Thanks!
-- Bob
---------

Verizon? Sweet! Unlimited plans for EVERYONE!!!!
_____

Bob, I just noticed this request for a volunteer. It doesn't pay, but it'll show you're doing something for a couple of weeks (which can't hurt your resume)... and you do have some editing experience already.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Rob, thanks. I'll follow up on this.
-- Bob
---------

I had a question for you job hunters - who did you use for references? I'm curious as to what I should use. (Not looking, just updating resume.)

I have several ex-coworkers who agreed to provide me with references, as well as several friends with technical backgrounds. My two immediate superiors were also willing to provide them but were forbidden from doing so by the policies of my former employer, otherwise they'd have been at the top of my list.
-- Bob
---------

I've been using one of my ex-bosses as a professional reference and a few good friends as character ones.

I may have a job. An old college friend has hooked me up with his nominal boss in a small consulting firm, and he's got a part time opening that he feels I'm perfect for. If all goes well with the pitch to the client tomorrow I'll have a job by Tuesday, making almost as much as I did at Best for putting in half the hours.
-- Bob
---------

Sweet! Good luck!

Well done. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks. Hopefully I'll know something by the end of the day.
-- Bob
---------

Latest news: the clients want to meet me today before they agree to the contract. So in about 90 minutes I'm getting into a suit and driving up to their location for what's supposed to be a 15 minute meet-and-greet. Wish me luck.
-- Bob
---------

Good luck, Bob!
I worked for a small consulting firm once.  It was a blast and I would go back in a heartbeat if I could. 

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs