Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Prom Is for Straight Kids"?
"Prom Is for Straight Kids"?
I was sorting examples on some trope pages on ATT, and stumbled across Prom Is for Straight Kids.

Is this still a thing?

Yes, it's a serious question. As I added to the page when I sorted the examples, same-sex marriage has been legal since 2003 here. Nobody makes a fuss on Degrassi about someone bringing a same-sex date to the prom because, as far as most of us in the big cities are concerned, there's nothing to make a fuss over. I seek to understand whether this is still an issue elsewhere in the English-speaking world.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: "Prom Is for Straight Kids"?
(04-21-2019, 08:41 PM)robkelk Wrote: I was sorting examples on some trope pages on ATT, and stumbled across Prom Is for Straight Kids.

Is this still a thing?

Yes, it's a serious question. As I added to the page when I sorted the examples, same-sex marriage has been legal since 2003 here. Nobody makes a fuss on Degrassi about someone bringing a same-sex date to the prom because, as far as most of us in the big cities are concerned, there's nothing to make a fuss over. I seek to understand whether this is still an issue elsewhere in the English-speaking world.

I can't speak for the civilized countries, but it's still very much an issue here in Unistat. (We got the god-botherers, Australia got the criminals, and it's too late for us to request a trade.) Further discussion would probably have to go to Politics.
Unistat confused me for a few secs until I realized you were trying to abbreviate like ユナスタ, lol.

It's not an active trope in California. The policies were changed while I was in high school, and as such it's been a nonissue here for 20 years. Can't comment on anywhere else though.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
cannot confirm if the prom is only for heterosexuals or not, but can confirm I passed on my own 'senior prom' in 1983 due to my lack of believe in my own sexuality and ability to attract any of my fellow seniors to me sexually?!?!??!?!?!?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children