Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It Is So Hot My Soap Melted

I'm Canadian, so yes, I know this isn't really cold. The thing is, while it "only" hits 0-5 degrees at night, none of the houses here have insulation or central heating, so... yeah. I much prefer the intense cold of a Canadian winter, because I can go inside and escape it, rather than just have it seep into me all day. Smile

The lack of those features in houses down here is mainly due to the builders, who when asked to fit those things fired back old sailor-style that those luxuries aren't required here but we put some alfoil/sheep in the roofspace to block the heat coming in from there.

And Council Property inspectors where aghast at any mention of sheep in the walls & floors. Basically in the old days, if you wanted a decently insulated house in Australia you had to build it yourself, either underground, out of hay bales or solid concrete/stone blocks.

As for central heating you had to be rich, for no one local knew how to install a decent system, so overseas experts had to get brought in and most of them got thrown back onto the boat by the unions once they found out about them.

Now days it's a bit different but it's still a chore to find anyone who can build a house/building that properly suits the Australian environments.