Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today's Dork Tower
Medieval Europe
Medieval Europe was incredibly racially diverse;  from Byzantium to the Moorish invasions of Spain and Italy.

IIRC, the Warhammer world doesn't have the equivalent of either of those.

Hmmm...
Here's a thought: Would we (and DO we) have as much of a problem with other monoracial game settings like say... Legend of the Five Rings?
----------------
Epsilon

Quote:Here's a thought: Would we (and DO we) have as much of a problem with other monoracial game settings like say... Legend of the Five Rings?
That's set in a medieval-China analog, right? IIRC, there weren't any whites or blacks in medieval China (the Italians didn't show up until the Renaissance), so it doesn't bother me that none are depicted in a medieval-China analog. The absence of traders from the analog of the Indian subcontinent is puzzling (if there is such an absence; I'm not completely familiar with Lo5R), though that can be explained away by their rarity outside of port towns.

However, there were middle-easterners in medieval Europe (especially in Iberia and Italy, as Shayne's already mentioned), and I seem to recall the Huns making it as far as Vienna (but keep in mind my swiss-cheese memory for history), so the cases aren't completely parallel.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Japan equivalent, but the point still stands. As I very vaguely recall, there are some different cultures in the gameworld, but as "mysterious far off lands".