Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Northeastern Snow Storm

Over the weekend, down in Central NC we got an impressively bad ice storm - the power is still out across town - And then the next day it was 65 degrees and sunny. The hell is this? *Shakefist*
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:
Oh, it's been high-40s to mid-50s here the last couple days, too -- and today and tomorrow as well. It's just that winter is getting a few last blows in. Dammit.
According to my weather app, the forecast for the next seven days is in the 50s... except for Thursday, which is supposed to be a high of 26, with possible snow. Can someone tell Hades to just let his wife go visit her mother already?
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Do you still have running water, or have the city's water pipes frozen?

This is not a rhetorical question.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Wasn't cold long enough to freeze pipes, luckily. Was just a few degrees below overnight, power died in the morning as ice brought down limbs and lines, and by noon it was above freezing. Just weather being a Troll. "U COLD BRO?"
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Winter storm Watch for me... we'll see how it goes.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

The forecast for tomorrow night around here has been scaled back to "rain, possibly changing to snow right before it ends". So maybe winter has finally had its last gasp. We'll see.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

The forecast for tomorrow around here is 1"-2" of snow... EDIT: Now they're saying 2"-4".
--
Rob Kelk

8-12 inches of snow, winds 27mph, is what they're predicting for here.

I pity anyone who has to work outside tomorrow.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Looks like the Atlantic Coast from Mid-Atlantic uo and Canada will have one hell (excuse the pun) of a blizzard.

Ouch.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Blizzard? Not around here -- the forecasts coming out of New York City are saying 1-3 inches tomorrow night, with higher accumulations in the eastern most parts of Connecticut and Long Island.

But it depends on (as usual) the track the storm takes. At the moment it's expected to be several hundred miles south and east of our area, so we're only getting a fringe. The bottom half of the Mid-Atlantic region might have it much worse. I can't see how Canada is supposed to get hit by this, though.
-- Bob
---------

It was 24C here yesterday.

It snowed here today.

Is winter ever going to end?
--
Rob Kelk

We're forecast to get 29F tonight, after 82F on Saturday and 77F on Sunday. They're talking about a wintry mix tonight on the radio weather report. Tomorrow night is only marginally better, forecast as 34F.
-- Bob
---------

Yeah, we got the wintery mix here on Sunday, so yesterday morning I had to scrape ice barnacles and snow off my car windows before I could drive in to work.

I'm done with wintery weather now.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

[Image: 10154100_622880174469069_8744260657632339606_n.jpg]

30F this morning with a thick layer of ice/snow on the car. Office is 65F - the space heater I've kept under my desk all winter that just yesterday I was thinking was no longer necessary is running. Argh. 
Edit:  On the radio this morning I heard a soundbite of a farmer who got hit, estimating that at best 5% of his peach crop survived, and probably none of his raspberries.  Be prepared to pay more for fresh fruit in the coming weeks. 
-- Bob
---------

But hey, atleast this time the coldsnap also hit Europe. It's not just you who's miserable anymore.

Well, what was experienced this winter is only the tip of the iceberg.
Expect more of the same.
Blizzards in the deep south...joy.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Let's see. This week.

Monday: 80, with a nice breeze. Abso-freakin'-lutely gorgeous.

Tuesday: SNOW

Wednesday: 40's and windy, rainy

Thursday: 50's and breezy, quite nice

Friday: 60's and breezy, shirtsleeve weather
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Yeah, sounds like our week, here, too.
-- Bob
---------