Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter 14, Teaser #1
oxygen
Oxygen is not a nervegas.
Nerve-gas generally gas kills by screwing up how your nerve-cells work.
It is true that once upon a time there was little oxygen in the earth's atmosphere and that the oxygen produced as a wasteproduct by some lifeforms was toxic to most of the rest of them. Mass-death happened and those that managed to adapt to the poisonous oxygen in the water and air eventually evolved into us.
However this was around a billion years ago. There was not anything there with nerves back then. By the time live got to the point of evolving nerve cells this disaster was nothing but a distant memory.
I have never heard of fluorine reffered to as nerve-gas either. It is seriously bad news and dangerous to your health in many ways, I ditantly remember that fluorine compounds are used in nerve-gasses, But I don't think it is classified as a nerve-gas by itself. Similarly Chlorine also is as far as I remember not a nerve-gas. I think the correct term pulmonary gas. It chokes you to death, it does not screw with your nervous system directly.
Saying that Oxygen=Death does not make more sense then saying sunlight=death or water=death. Sure Oxgen is a highly corrosive gas and an alien visitor might wonder how we survie in an atmosphere full of it, but then again he might also wonder how we can survive being in direct sunlight or handeling liquid-water. Not to mention the outrageous idea, that live might be able to exists on the surface of a planet in the first place.
We don't really have a large enough sample size to make any statements about life in general.
To get back to the boomers. Boomers brains are likely to be oxygen dependant, because plants and other stuff don't generally have any structures, that could be easily adapted to make organic computers. Sure he could have used anything to make them, but using animal brains as your templates seems like it would have been the least work.
Re: oxygen
Loki Laufeyjarson managed to pretty much cover it, but forgot to also mention that oxygen is one of the reactants in cellular respiration.-------------------
*No,* Sachiel replied.
*Aww, come on,* I answered.
*Absolutely not,* he insisted.
*What's so bad about my idea?*
*While I have no problem with withdrawing and allowing you to handle the situation, I have... issues with your plan to tell the Lillim that you are the "3.14th Angel, Auwhotda'ell".*
[Image: Aleh.jpg]