Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Trailers Thread
RE: The Trailers Thread
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Transformers: War for Cybertron on Netflix
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Not a trailer, but, it seems, a review of Sonic the Hedgehog:
Sequential Art

I kinda-sorta get the tentative impression Phillip M. Jackson liked the movie.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
(02-28-2020, 06:59 AM)DHBirr Wrote: Not a trailer, but, it seems, a review of Sonic the Hedgehog:
Sequential Art

I kinda-sorta get the tentative impression Phillip M. Jackson liked the movie.

Okay, I was kinda concerned in that Robotnik was not "The Eggman" we all know from the games.

But if Jolly Jack liked it that much, then it's got to be good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1htuNZp82Ck

Tales from the Loop on Amazon Prime. Based on the Simon Stålenhag artwork that also led to the RPG.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
-- Bob

Space Force trailer#2
-- Bob

well, it doesn't surprise me that Bill n Ted seem oblivious to one of the basic time travel conundrums.

Cause.... Bill N Ted. If it wasn't for Rufus, they'd have busted their timeflow years ago?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
-- Bob

-- Bob

-- Bob

(08-25-2020, 07:29 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

on a related note, the Roll call for Suicide Squad

No Time to Die (new 007 trailer)
Looking at reviews for Amazon Prime's Tales from the Loop on Rotten Tomatoes.  Lots of people seem to be wowed by the stark beauty of the cinematography and the story telling.  A few seem to be disappointed in that there were no subplots or layers to peel back.

I haven't watched it yet, but having seen some of the artwork myself, I can say that the minority group are looking for things in something that is not meant to have the things they are looking for.  I suppose that one way of looking at it is that bit from Kung Fu Panda, where Uguay exhorts unto Shifu that, "...no matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach."

So some people are looking at a peach, and hoping for some really weird things like for it to be secretly an apple under the skin, or an orange, or even both at once!  Which honestly just makes me think these people are silly for expecting something more mind bending than what we're presented with.

What I am expecting when I finally sit down to watch it: an antithesis to cyberpunk.  Not utopian - far from it, really.  But there is the clear implication that we're trying for it.  In this way, this is something that carries in it far more hope than nihilism; a promise that even if we don't get things quite right the first time or two, we're still going to keep trying, and keep getting better at it as we go along.  You won't always get the answers you're hoping for, but you'll get the answers you needed in order to be better.

That's what I'm expecting...  I'm hoping for it, anyhow... but if not, then I'll at least have my answers.
(09-04-2020, 12:32 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Looking at reviews for Amazon Prime's Tales from the Loop on Rotten Tomatoes.  Lots of people seem to be wowed by the stark beauty of the cinematography and the story telling.  A few seem to be disappointed in that there were no subplots or layers to peel back.

I haven't watched it yet, but having seen some of the artwork myself, I can say that the minority group are looking for things in something that is not meant to have the things they are looking for.  I suppose that one way of looking at it is that bit from Kung Fu Panda, where Uguay exhorts unto Shifu that, "...no matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach."

So some people are looking at a peach, and hoping for some really weird things like for it to be secretly an apple under the skin, or an orange, or even both at once!  Which honestly just makes me think these people are silly for expecting something more mind bending than what we're presented with.

What I am expecting when I finally sit down to watch it: an antithesis to cyberpunk.  Not utopian - far from it, really.  But there is the clear implication that we're trying for it.  In this way, this is something that carries in it far more hope than nihilism; a promise that even if we don't get things quite right the first time or two, we're still going to keep trying, and keep getting better at it as we go along.  You won't always get the answers you're hoping for, but you'll get the answers you needed in order to be better.

That's what I'm expecting...  I'm hoping for it, anyhow... but if not, then I'll at least have my answers.

Having watched the first couple of episodes (and I really need to get back to it), I can say that you're close. To me, it's "Amazing Stories" for adults. The strange, almost supernatural technology that shapes the stories of the people in the Loop. Where "Black Mirror" seems to aim at the destruction (or self-destruction) that technology can wreak, "Tales from the Loop" is how technology makes life happen... even if that life is not conventional in its makeup.

It's sort of a quiet show. The people who live in the Loop are surrounded by the strange technology, and while they're not blase about it, they are also not really frightened by it. The robots wandering around are no more unusual than a car or truck, and the weird manifestations of technology are treated similarly to hazardous landmarks, like dangerous rapids or rock quarries where kids shouldn't play (but do anyway).

That's my perception, and it's only a few episodes in. Your mileage may vary.
The Resistance Fighter
Ah, a movie where the President won't be able to understand anyone's motives but the bad guys', and can't understand why no one thinks they're fine people.
-- Bob

New Dune trailer
Wow. Forty years ago when I first read Dune I never imagined it would be a work that Hollywood would make and remake multiple times. And this one looks spectacular.

All-star cast, too... and young Paul looks a whole lot like a young Tim Burton. I don't know if the chorus singing Pink Floyd is going to be part of the final production (and not just the trailer) but regardless it sounds awesome, too.
-- Bob