Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any "like to cook" foodies here?
RE: Any "like to cook" foodies here?
That's much better. Last week's radio recipe is duck pastrami.

Allow at least two days for preparation.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is Yemeni-inspired fried flatbread. Provide your own toppings.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
One the youngsters can help with: chicken fingers (either baked or fried).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Monday is Turkey Day in Canada.

Vegetarian Thanksgiving recipes and tips for throwing a marvelous meat-free feast

Some recipes include eggs, cheese, ice cream, or a combination thereof, so double-check before you plan the menu.

How to freeze and reheat food properly for your big feast

Tips for avoiding freezer burn, and a selection of recipes to experiment with freezing. (This list has a bit of overlap with the vegetarian menu.)

Grandma Gretzky's perogy recipe

"Gretzky" as in the trope "Gretzky has the ball", yes.

Contains cheese, but is otherwise vegetarian. (No, you don't have to serve them with sour cream and paprika.)
Quote:You miss 100% of the perogies you don’t eat
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's been a while since we had one of these... Last week's radio recipe - just in time for Thanksgiving Monday - is apple cinnamon cupcakes with maple butter cream icing.

Vegetarian if dairy is okay.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe (hidden amongst all the election coverage) is Mussels in white wine cream sauce
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just in time for Día de Muertos, last week's radio recipe is black bean tamales with green mole.

Vegan.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
How to source edible weeds from your lawn and turn them into an impressive autumnal salad

First step: If you sprayed for weeds, you can't use the ones that did grow anyway.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Because poisoning yourself is stupid, but it's definitely a thing you'd be doing in that case.
(11-02-2019, 02:13 PM)hazard Wrote: Because poisoning yourself is stupid, but it's definitely a thing you'd be doing in that case.
Exactly.

The recipe suggests, if you don't have any edible weeds, that you can substitute arugula. (Which I find completely appropriate, considering what I think of the taste of arugula.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Time to use up the Halloween decoration - last week's radio recipe is Curried pumpkin and white bean stew. Contains coconut.

No time to make that? Slow Cooker Vegan Curry Stew. Also contains coconut.

Okay - something that doesn't have coconut, for the folks who postponed Halloween: Easy Halloween Mini Pizzas
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
One that's apropos for today: WWII "Ration Cake"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Vegan Potato, Leek & Artichoke Chowder
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Messing around with bottled sauces this week, tried Aldi's black pepper moonshine steak sauce and found it excellent. Browned up some ground beef with salt, pepper, onion, garlic, and chipotle flakes, sauteed some onions in butter and worcestershire sauce, mixed together the whole thing with a good drubbing of the sauce. Schmeared some mayo on a tortilla, tossed in the beef, added some shredded cheddar and lettuce. Yum.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Like tacos? Hate the mess? Last week's radio recipe is for you: Chili-lime taco pouches

This recipe comes from a preteen cook, so it's something that the younger set can make.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-11-2019, 07:53 AM)robkelk Wrote: One that's apropos for today: WWII "Ration Cake"

Hey!  I know that one!  Used to make it from time to time even cause the ingredients kept well.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
A couple of interesting youtube channels to recommend to our foodies:

"ChefPK" is a major anime fan... and a professional chef. He posts reaction videos to foodie anime like Shokugeki no Soma and Restaurant To Another World. He shares his reactions as he watches, as well as reviewing the foodie content -- the cooking, the dishes, and the professional aspects as well. He also does separate videos where he recreates the dishes from the anime, often to quite good effect.

"Sam The Cooking Guy" is one of many "Gonna show you how to make this dish" vloggers. What makes him worth watching is his dry wit, his fun delivery, and how he will frequently set out to elevate more common dishes to interesting levels.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
A channel/series that is unfortunately defunct now that's worth watching if you want to learn to do some Japanese home cooking is "Cooking with Dog". I know it's come up here in the forums a few times over the years, but I'll never miss an opportunity to flog it a bit. The titular Dog is not an ingredient, but the host, a grey French poodle named "Francis"; he narrates the show in English while seated next to a Japanese woman known only as "Chef".

(Sadly Francis passed away a couple years ago, and the series ended with him. There is a sequel series about the adventures of a grey poodle plushie seeking out interesting and good food around Japan, but it is not a cooking show in the way its predecessor was.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Last week's radio recipe is a Christmas one: panettone
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Do you do a lot of baking? Do you want the cookies and pie crusts to look fancy? These kitchen tools might be of interest.

Cookie Stamps - set of three

Embossing Rolling Pins
(four different pins, each sold separately, includes a cookie recipe)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Personally? My family has a long history of cookie press cookies and they're still my favorites to bake at the holidays. I still resent that my sister nabbed the sixty-plus-year-old aluminum press when we cleared out my mom's house, forcing me to buy plastic ones every few years. (To replace the ones that break, because the plastic ones always break after a few years.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Well, the stamps are aluminum... but there's only three of them.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-26-2019, 08:11 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Personally?  My family has a long history of cookie press cookies and they're still my favorites to bake at the holidays.  I still resent that my sister nabbed the sixty-plus-year-old aluminum press when we cleared out my mom's house, forcing me to buy plastic ones every few years.  (To replace the ones that break, because the plastic ones always break after a few years.)
I found this at a local cookware store. Maybe that'll last longer than the plastic ones.
Oh my yes indeed. I do think I need to budget for that purchase, even though we already have a new plastic one on the shelf... Thank you!
-- Bob

Last week's radio recipe is so good, it's a crime! Stollen

Contains rum, wine, almonds, and marzipan (which also contains almonds).

Allow "as long as you can" for preparation - three hours for the complete process is the absolute minimum; four hours is better; soaking the fruits and nuts in the alcohol for "weeks" is best.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown