Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any "like to cook" foodies here?
RE: Any "like to cook" foodies here?
Holy cow! I never realized us fans (because I doubt spider himself ever complied such a thing) were so dedicated... but then again it should not, because like many I really wished Calahanns, and later 'The Place' Really existed in this fica
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Tried a recipe I found on Youtube recently for peanut-butter fudge. The results were... not great, but certainly edible.

Ingredients:
Peanut Butter
An equal quantity of vanilla buttercreme frosting

Microwave each ingredient separately for one minute. Pour into mixing bowl. Mix well. Pour into foil-lined flat tray. Let cool.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
I've recently discovered that ground pork with a light sprinkle of salt added on each side before you put it on the heat and with a bit of cheese added at the end can end up tasting very much like bacon with far less fat, for use in omelettes or with veggies and rice or pasta. Here's how I do:

Pick your quantity of meat to suit the intended serving size - I use a third of a pound for a 3-egg omelette, or a half for when I'm making two servings of the veggies and rice meal. I odn't have a calculator handy but 2.2lb = ~1kg to convert it for commie measurements Wink so however that works out. Crumble it into a non-stick pan (the non-stick is important, cleaning cheese out of an iron pan is horrible. I use one of those "Red Copper" branded pans that supposedly are much harder to damage than the classic Teflon coated ones, but still only use a plastic spatula in it) but let the bits stay touching and stick together as they cook at first, as it makes them easier to flip for even cooking, adding just a light sprinkle of salt, as I said, first on the top of the meat before you put that side down in the pan, then to the other side either right away or just before flipping it. Fry it at a medium-high heat, enough to sizzle, for about three minutes on each side, then turn it again for a second round to get a crispy browned surface.

Use the blade of the spatula to break the bits up again after turning them for the last time (shoot for pieces no bigger than half an inch/one cm) and add a single layer of thin cheese slices on top, then cover the pan for a minute or two to get the cheese soft before breaking it up as well, which will naturally mix the meat bits around again. Give it a couple more minutes for the cheese to get nicely golden brown as well, during which time you should turn the heat down to about half, so it no longer sizzles. Whatever cheese is up to you, though the point is to add the smoke flavor so plan on that basis.

At this point, either dish it up with the sides or crack the eggs over the top and mix it quickly, then give it another minute and a half to two minutes before flipping again to cook the eggs on both sides, perhaps adding some pepper or a bit of powdered garlic to taste. If you're doing the meat and veg, don't mix them up and try to keep the meat in a single layer on the plate, so it stays crispy on the outside for that bacony experience. I suppose you could even have it for breakfast with waffles or pancakes in the traditional bacon role, though I have not yet.

Now, most ground pork is about 85% lean at best, so it's still not anything close to "fat free" even before adding the cheese, but that's still better than about the reverse proportions for bacon and it doesn't leave you with a pan full of grease to clean up, and ground pork is much easier to deal with a partial package (or just get a smaller quantity if your market grinds their own and you're there to ask when they're doing it) than the typical vacuum-bagged bacon strips as well. It's also easy to use more or less salt to suit your taste and diet, for that matter.
--
‎noli esse culus
Of course, if you're on a keto diet, you want the fat from the bacon, but that does sound tasty.
(Note: I've been watching a British uPotato's channel all night, and my language choices are presently reflecting that fact. Read this in your best David-Tennant-impersonating-Patrick-Stewart-satirized-by-Brian-Blessed impression if you so wish.)

(05-01-2019, 10:23 AM)I Wrote: fried ground pork

This morning's variation: a breakfast sandwich using 1/4 pound (roughly 113g according to my calculator) without adding cheese while it's in the pan and allowing the porus not-quite-a-patty the crumbled meat forms to stay stuck together, then when it's done on both sides cracking a single egg on top, and flipping it almost immediately after only long enough for the egg that runs through the gaps in the patty to solidify a little on the bottom-now-top side. Given a couple of minutes to make sure the egg is sufficiently cooked and a bit of adjusting partway to tuck the splashy-out corners back underneath, it made a very nice filling for a sliced and toasted kaiser roll with the cheese slices applied before setting it back into the still warm toaster oven to get properly melty and stick the whole thing together to eat on the go. Nomnomnom, delicious, and the nonstick pan makes the only cleanup disposing of the cackleberry shell.
--
‎noli esse culus
With the flood waters subsiding, CBC Ottawa has had time to return to airing weekly radio recipes.

Last week's is coffee-rubbed-brisket sandwiches with pickled onions.

Includes recipes for pickling the onions, the coffee rub, and the brisket itself.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is a Suhoor Fruit and Ricotta Power Bowl ("Suhoor" being the meal one eats before sunrise and fasting during Ramadan, if one is Muslim), presented as an alternative to the high-fat, high-calorie meals often eaten at this time of (lunar) year. Although, considering one of the ingredients is "as much maple syrup as you'd like", this might or might not be low-cal.

Contains walnuts.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Given that for Muslims it's basically one of only two meals they'll get over the course of the day, the other being after sun down, you kind of need a fairly high calorie meal, especially when you do a lot of physical labour.
Last week's radio recipe was for nyama choma, Kenyan-style marinated grilled meat: "steaks or short ribs, beef or goat, whole or cut into bite-sized chunks".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is cod with tomatoes, leek puree and saskatoon berry emulsion. Serves four.

5 Quick Dinners You Can Make with a Roasted Chicken - you know, one of those pre-roasted chickens one can buy at the grocery or deli.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(Did I post these already? Ah, well - better twice than not at all.)

A couple of recipes from the National Arts Centre, now that they're closing their restaurant for renovations: White Bean Cassoulet with Canadian Scallops and No-Knead Sourdough Bread. (The sourdough recipe also includes instructions on how to start a brand-new starter.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
To commemorate D-Day, here's a recipe from the official 1946 Canadian Army Cook’s Manual: molasses cookies.

More Canadian heritage recipes here, including Soldier’s Beef Stew (apparently the source of the word "potluck") and French Hot Chocolate ("This hot chocolate is to your standard cup of cocoa what Dom Perignon is to the house wine at your local pizza place.").
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm a little confused by the presence of sugar in the ingredient list for the hot chocolate. After all, it doesn't specify unsweetened chocolate in the recipe.
In an effort to make this thread a little less Canadian, I went out and looked for recipes from "south of the border". Thus it was that I discovered Click Americana has a Vintage Recipes section.

One of the pages is recipes for a collection of 16 different flavored vinegars. The recipes are from 1916 and 1919, and thus have fallen into the public domain. This of course makes them of interest to the programmers here, in that they're Open Sauce.

. . .

I'll be here all week, folks!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's recipe is Roman-style pizza con patate. Provide your own pizza dough.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe is molten dulce de leche cakes. Includes instructions on how to make dulce de leche.

Urban forager eats shoots and leaves. Don't try this one on your own - have somebody who knows what is and isn't toxic by your side to begin with.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Also be very careful with the punctuation on that one. <grin> (And yes, I do believe the headline is a deliberate shout-out.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
My parents recently introduced me to farro, which is an "ancient grain" that they use as an alternative to rice. It's similar to barley, and can be found in decent grocery stores. (Wegmans around here carries it, WalMart does not.)

So I had some, and I was musing on what to do with it aside from "serve a heap of it next to meat and veg", and decided on a variant of a barley-mushroom soup I'd once liked.

So I took an onion, chopped it up, and sauteed it in a pan with a few cloves of garlic (also chopped), some salt, and some butter. Once it'd started to get properly going, I took a pint or so of sliced white mushrooms and tossed them in as well, cooked the whole thing for about ten minutes, then added a couple tablespoons' worth of soy sauce.

Once I was satisfied with that, I poured in about 2 cups of beef stock, brought it to a boil, added a cup of farro, stirred it all in, covered, turned down the heat, and left it to simmer about 25 minutes.

And that's really all there was to it. Came out quite tasty, made about 3-4 servings' worth.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Celebrate National Indigenous Peoples Day on June 21, even if you aren't in Canada!

Coureur des bois casserole, and Fried bread (two recipes). No, this is not low-calorie cooking - this is to keep you going when you're paddling a canoe for ten hours a day. Note also that the ingredient list for the casserole does not list everything that should go into the casserole.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Last week's radio recipe (and this time around I'm using the word "recipe" loosely) is vegan-friendly: Tahini quinoa bowl with steamed vegetables.

Includes directions on how to cook quinoa, a recipe for tahini sauce, and a bunch of suggestions on what to do next.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Cottage cooking made easy - links to 19 recipes, with notes on how to prepare them (completely or partially) ahead of time so that you can take them with you on vacation and spend more vacation time relaxing.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Over two dozen recipes to help you kick off the official start of BBQ season

Links to marinades, salads, and sweets in this collection.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sorry about the delay... Last week's radio recipe is Kerala-style lamb biryani.

EDIT: Looking over the ingredient list, I'm going to give this one a "spicy" warning.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I guess this is a recipe... It's definitely aimed at the younger set.

Super Cute Breakfast Banana-Split Sundae
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown