Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pending Move
Re: Pending Move
I think I have Logan on my google friends list, will drop a poking message about the new boards later this evening,  no later than this weekend 
robkelk Wrote:Will the port "wipe the slate clean", or will those two threads remain? (Ian might be interested in the answer.)

Goddammit Tapatalk.  I wrote a good detailed answer to this and you barfed it into hyperspace with a 500 error.

Short answer:  No.  I'd have to go out of my way to delete those threads.  I won't.-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Oh, and before I forget -- if nothing gets in my way tonight (no guarantees, sadly), I will try to port over the Marketplace forum as both a test and a probable learning experience.  It's a low-post, low-importance board, and while I'm hard-pressed to come up with circumstances where my planned method could even possibly be destructive of old content, if by some improbable set of circumstance it does, we won't be losing anything vital.-- Bob
---------
Registered. Sorry I've been absent lately. Life.
Don't worry about it.  This whole process is running in slower motion than I like, so there's plenty of time.-- Bob
---------
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Don't worry about it. This whole process is running in slower motion than I like, so there's plenty of time.

I wasn't expecting the cutover to happen before Labor/Labour Day weekend, myself.--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Oh, and before I forget -- if nothing gets in my way tonight (no guarantees, sadly), I will try to port over the Marketplace forum as both a test and a probable learning experience.
Argh.  Simply by posting this I guaranteed something would get in my way.  Two wrecks along my route home from work for a combined delay of 1 hour (and that was on the best route Google maps could give me).  A fifteen-minute pharmacy stop that turned into something closer to 45 minutes.  And when I finally got home (less than half an hour ago), I found that my computer had undergone Windows update while I was at work and had hung on reboot.  And that's just the larger things.

I am so furious right now that I could literally scream. I'm too agitated to work on the forums.

I'll try to calm myself, but I have two hours until I have to crash if I want to be at all competent at work tomorrow.-- Bob
---------
Okay, now that my temper tantrum has subsided...  I spent part of Wednesday night studying table structures and laying out pseudocode of the process I'm going to have to write in order to do the porting.  (I was stupidly overconfident; even without all the delays on Wednesday, I wouldn't have gotten very far.)  I then discovered that the dialect of SQL I had to use because it's what the forum dump came to me in didn't support a feature I needed in order to do part of the task.  So I exported the threads and posts tables out to SQL scripts and am trying to load them into Microsoft SQL.  The threads table went up without too much trouble, but there are a lot of translation artifacts in the posts table -- again mainly caused by differences in SQL dialects -- that I'm having to massage and tweak by hand.  I got about 30Mb of posts loaded before I had to crash last night, and just before I drifted off I realized I had done something stupid in the fixes that while not a gamebreaker was still annoying.  So I'm going to correctly tweak the data in the posts script first, and re-do the whole process (which should take less time because I'm not debugging script errors while trying to run the inserts).

And once that's done, I can then test and hopefully run the scripts that will take that data and turn it into inserts which will correctly populate the MyBB tables.  And the plan is still to do the Marketplace first.-- Bob
---------
Bob, are you planning to migrate one forum at a time, or are you using Marketplace as a test before migrating the entire discussion board all at once?

There's a thread over on the SJGames forums asking where all the IST stats for GURPS Fourth Edition are. I provided the current link to the IST forum here, with a note saying we're planning on moving Soon so the link might not be valid for much longer. If you're planning on moving one forum at a time, could IST be moved sooner rather than later, please?--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Once I confirm my code does the job, I'll still be moving stuff in small batches, if only to keep from overloading the tools.  (Even Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio doesn't like the size of the posts insert script -- I've got it broken down into 4 parts now and will probably need to cut it it even more.)  

However, that's irrelevant.  The old forums are going to stay in place, just locked, for as long as Tapatalk will host them.  You can point folks to the existing IST forum, because it should be there for the immediate foreseeable future, and once we migrate completely there will be a "go here for the latest stuff" message in it to direct folks to the new forums.-- Bob
---------
Okay, I have to take a break to do a product push for my job a 9 PM, but I've gotten something in the vicinity of 70 Mb of posts -- well over 60000 individual posts -- up so far tonight.  I cleaned up the data very carefully beforehand, and eliminated a lot of problems which I'd caused myself by hasty on-the-fly fixes.  So hopefully by the end of tonight every post will be in Microsoft SQL, and then I write and test the routines which will extract the contents of a forum and write them out as new inserts for the MyBB tables.

ETA:  70Mb=SQL statements, not pure post content.-- Bob
---------
MS-SQL import done.  154,628 individual posts.  I excluded all the "no content" posts caused by the hack attack ten years or so ago; we'll have a couple-few dozen threads with a single post in them and no followup, but they're all so far back, and no one has cared about the empty posts anyway, that I doubt it'll matter to anyone.

Next step is to finish my export-to-MyBB-format script.  But I'll do that tomorrow.-- Bob
---------
PROGRESS!  HUZZAH!
Registered as well, sorry for being late-ish about it._______________________________________________________________
Characters
Dakota
Warning:
Dihydrogen monoxide
Containment Vessel

I've registered, though I've not been posting much lately mainly lurking.
'sNot like there's a lot of content there yet, after all.-- Bob
---------
Registered under new handle (katreus).
To be honest, I wasn't going to make the 'jump' till you said to to avoid making the move harder onyhouHear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

[b]NO QUARTER!!![/b]

-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Okay, I've finished my first draft of the T-SQL script that takes all the relevant data for a thread and its posts from the database I created and exports a set of MySQL statements required to import that thread into the new boards.

I still need to test and probably debug it before I start moving things for real, but that means, people, if you're changing or have changed your user name on the new boards, tell me now both old and new names so I can make sure your old posts link to your new identity.  

I ask this because I embarrassed myself in email over the weekend when in a fit of drowsiness I mistook one of our noble users for another in this very situation.  

(Of course, if you've already discussed this with me, I've already made the changes for you, and you don't have to tell me a second time.)-- Bob
---------
I don't think it'll be an issue for the Market forum, but I used to have the handle of NeoRavenK7 here on the boards.  Dang, that was a long-ass time ago.
I'll change all those to your current handle, BA.

Progress Report:  The T-SQL side of the process now works perfectly.  I just have to tweak the MySQL syntax it outputs.  First challenge:  figure out why a perfectly ordinary-seeming variable declaration (DECLARE mybb_tid INTWink throws an error.

ETA:  Only 62 messages from NeoRavenK7, BA.  No big.-- Bob
---------
I've not really changed my handle, just finally using the '.'
Kept me handle the same 
I hope you don't mind me asking this:

I noticed that the new forums basically require readers to register even if they only want to lurk around, viewing the forums.  I consider this to be a bad idea.  My belief is that it's always better to lurk for a while, getting a "feel," so to speak, of a board's overall culture, before even deciding whether it's a good idea to register.

Hopefully there's some settings that could be changed to open up the board to non-registered viewers.  Of course, I was really hoping to start a dialogue regarding this, so as to help make the new board a truly good place.
I believe that was a default setting.  I've been meaning to change that, so that visitors can read without registering, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  That and at least one other config change -- I want to max out the possible message size so things like the nanoSteps thread don't get their contents truncated -- I'll try to do today, but I've said that to myself for a while now and I keep forgetting as other tasks take priority.-- Bob
---------