Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pending Move
Re: Pending Move
Well... what does everyone else think?

(I mean, after all, after 17 years the boards are as much yours as mine, which is why I'm looking for community consensus on a lot of things.  What maximizes your enjoyment and ease of use?)-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Oh, and I realize I forgot to update you all on the transfer.  Sadly, due to guests last night and tonight, nothing got done and nothing is likely to get done.  Friday night might be the earliest I can get back to debugging my script.-- Bob
---------
Argh.  Well, I know better than most that life freakin' happens.  Keep us posted, boss.

And really, what do you guys think of my idea?

EDIT:
Oh, and I forgot to say last time: the Black Goat one at 1,000 sounds great!  Big Grin
This would be the same title that we can already override in our profiles, right? (Citation: It saying "I have a lot of books." below my userpic.)

I'm not a fan of having auto-assigned ones that are tied to a specific work though, unless that work is Drunkard's Walk itself.

-Morgan.
I don't think so?  Bob?
You know, I'd have to check to be sure.  I kinda thought personal titles overrode the auto titles, but now that I think of it, I don't think I ever actually confirmed it.

In the mean time, I'm completely frustrated by MySQL.  My T-SQL script is working as designed, and as far as I can tell it's outputting proper MySQL code.  So why the hell am I getting a 1064 syntax error on a goddamned variable declaration that looks letter-perfect?  Argh.-- Bob
---------
Could you enable HTTPS on the new board? Firefox, at least, always complains when you try to log in to a site that isn't HTTPS.

Thanks
Luc "Encrypted" French
I think I need to talk to my hosting service to do that.  It's on my "to do" list.-- Bob
---------
HTTPS is a good move especially these days, where people are trusting non-secure HTTP less and less.

Also check this: http://letsencrypt.org/ - in case you can do it on your own for free.
Thanks, Lulz.  If nothing comes up, I'll give my host a call today some time and find out what I need to do.-- Bob
---------
I found this, Bob: http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support ... error-1064

My guess, not having dealt with SQL, is that it's either a reserved word used for the variable name it's complaining about, there's missing data somewhere in that field in one or more records that it requires, or you're using a deprecated command.

On a personal level, I hate deprecated commands. I understand WHY they're deprecated, because it either is something that should not have been implemented or there's a much better implementation that required a whole new command, but I still hate when they happen. Especially given that they linger for one or two more versions before they disappear.--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Thank you, JFerio.  That's one that I didn't find while doing my debugging last night, and seems a bit more detailed and more accessible than the pages I consulted last night.  I'll have to go through it in detail when I have a bit more time.

In the mean time, you know what I'll do?  I'll post the MySQL script here and maybe someone with more experience in the dialect than I can point out the obvious errors I'm making. <grin>-- Bob
---------
Code:
-- Start thread transfer
BEGIN
DECLARE mybb_tid INT;
DECLARE first_pid INT;
DECLARE last_pid INT;
DECLARE user_id INT;

-- Insert Mybb_threads record
INSERT INTO Mybb_threads (fid, subject, username, lastposter, closed, notes, visible) VALUES (6, 'Lucky Star Trading Figures FS', 'dummy', 'dummy', '', '', 1, 0);

-- Get thread ID
SET mybb_tid = mysql_insert_id(, 0);

-- Beginning post insertion for thread

-- Get user id for author of first post
SET user_id = SELECT uid from Mybb_users WHERE username = 'robkelk';

-- Update Mybb_threads record with info from first post
UPDATE Mybb_threads SET uid = user_id, username = 'robkelk', dateline = 1199771400 WHERE tid = mybb_tid;

-- Start posts loop

-- Get user id for author of current post

-- Create Mybb_posts record for post number 0
INSERT INTO Mybb_posts (tid, fid, subject, uid, username, dateline, message, visible) VALUES (mybb_tid, 6, 'Lucky Star Trading Figures FS', user_id, 'robkelk', 1199771400, 'I seem to recall some folks around here like <em>Lucky Star</em>.  I bought a box of <a class="postlink" href="http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=NEOSL-12291&ref=myp">Series 1 trading figures</a>, and it arrived today. (And that's the only good thing about being home sick today...)<br>
There aren't any rare or repaint figures - each can be assembled in either of two poses.  I got two each of Konata, Kagami, Tsukasa, and Miyuki, and one each of Kuroi-sensei and the &quot;mystery figure&quot; (who I couldn't say in my CDJapan review is Akira from <em>Lucky Channel).</em><br>
So... I'd like to get my money back on the duplicate Konata, Kagami, and Tsukasa.  I might be persuaded to part with the duplicate Miyuki.  Ten figures, plus shipping, plus Customs, comes out to approximately $65.00.  Divide that by ten gives $6.50 each, then add <a class="postlink" href="http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/tools/calcrate-e.asp">your shipping cost</a> from postal code K1V 0V4...<br>
Any interest?<br>
-Rob Kelk<br>
&quot;Actually, my goal is to write neat stories. The money just makes it possible for me to write them faster and then buy neat toys.&quot;<br>
 Ryk E. Spoor, 7 November 2007<br><em>--<br>
Rob Kelk<br>
&quot;Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose <br>
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of <br>
the same sovereign, servants of the same law.&quot;<br>
<br>
- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012         </em>', 1, 0);

-- Save first post's ID.
SET first_tid = mysql_insert_id(, 0);

SET user_id = SELECT uid from Mybb_users WHERE username = 'Morganite';

-- Create Mybb_posts record for post number 1
INSERT INTO Mybb_posts (tid, fid, subject, uid, username, dateline, message, visible) VALUES (mybb_tid, 6, 'Re: Lucky Star Trading Figures FS', user_id, 'Morganite', 1199802180, 'Well, I'm *interested*. I'm just not sure I'll have any money before the end of this month. >.>;;;<br>
-Morgan, would be interested in all four though. If I have money. >.>&quot;Mikuru-chan molested me! I'm... so happy!&quot;<br>
-Haruhi, &quot;The Ecchi of Haruhi Suzumiya&quot;<br>
---(Not really)', 1, 0);

-- Create Mybb_posts record for post number 2
INSERT INTO Mybb_posts (tid, fid, subject, uid, username, dateline, message, visible) VALUES (mybb_tid, 6, 'Re: Lucky Star Trading Figures FS', user_id, 'robkelk', 1202543940, 'It's been a month... still interested?<br><em>--<br>
Rob Kelk<br>
&quot;Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose <br>
<br>
- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012         </em>', 1, 0);

-- Create Mybb_posts record for post number 3
INSERT INTO Mybb_posts (tid, fid, subject, uid, username, dateline, message, visible) VALUES (mybb_tid, 6, '', user_id, 'Morganite', 1202593920, 'Still interested. I won't have money until the end of next week though.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
-Morgan.', 1, 0);

-- Create Mybb_posts record for post number 4
INSERT INTO Mybb_posts (tid, fid, subject, uid, username, dateline, message, visible) VALUES (mybb_tid, 6, '', user_id, 'robkelk', 1202596740, 'Okay. When you're ready, e-mail me - my board handle at gmail.com works.<br><em>--<br>
Rob Kelk<br>
<br>

-- Create Mybb_posts record for post number 5
INSERT INTO Mybb_posts (tid, fid, subject, uid, username, dateline, message, visible) VALUES (mybb_tid, 6, '', user_id, 'robkelk', 1204666200, 'Morganni, it's been almost a month since you said &quot;the end of next week&quot;. To be fair to everyone else, I can't hold them for much longer...<br>
I'll wait for one more week, but that's it.<br><em>--<br>
Rob Kelk<br>
<br>

-- Create Mybb_posts record for post number 6
INSERT INTO Mybb_posts (tid, fid, subject, uid, username, dateline, message, visible) VALUES (mybb_tid, 6, '', user_id, 'Morganite', 1204716900, 'Yeah, sorry about that. I meant to get back to you on that, and then I went and did something extremely stupid. -.-;;;<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
However, barring something quite surprising (like a sudden need for car repairs that aren't covered by the service plan I have, which I don't expect,<br>
since the service plan covers just about anything I can think of), I'll have money I can spend on figures when I get my next paycheck. Which is the end of<br>
this week.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Edit: I do ineed have money now; I'll email you tomorrow?<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
-Morgan, really really sorry. #-.-#', 1, 0);

-- Create Mybb_posts record for post number 7
INSERT INTO Mybb_posts (tid, fid, subject, uid, username, dateline, message, visible) VALUES (mybb_tid, 6, '', user_id, 'robkelk', 1205303340, 'Sounds good. Again, my board handle at gmail.com gets mail to me.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
I just realized I didn't provide the necessary shipping information... Weight is approximately 0.2kg, dimensions (after I find a suitable box) will be a<br>
minimum of 12cm x 12 cm x 7 cm (and I'll do my level best to get a box as close to that size as possible).<br><em>--<br>
Rob Kelk<br>
<br>

-- Create Mybb_posts record for post number 8
INSERT INTO Mybb_posts (tid, fid, subject, uid, username, dateline, message, visible) VALUES (mybb_tid, 6, '', user_id, 'robkelk', 1206685680, 'It should be obvious, but...<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
They're all gone (to Morganni). Thank you for your interest.<br><em>--<br>
Rob Kelk<br>
<br>

-- End posts loop

-- Get id of final post
SET last_pid = mysql_insert_id(, 0);

-- Get user id for author of final post

-- Update Mybb_threads record for the last time
UPDATE Mybb_threads SET firstpost = first_pid, lastpost = last_pid, lastposter = 'robkelk', lastposteruid = user_id, replies = 8 WHERE tid = mybb_tid;

-- And we're done.
END
So this is the MySQL script, which was generated by another script that I wrote in T-SQL.  The start of the second line of code -- DECLARE mybb_tid INT; -- is where the syntax error is popping up.-- Bob
---------
I don't claim to understand it, but this *sounds* a lot like what you're seeing: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/740 ... iable?rq=1

-Morgan.
Ooh.  That just might be it.  I'll have to give that a try when I get home tonight.  Thanks!-- Bob
---------
LulzKiller Wrote:HTTPS is a good move especially these days, where people are trusting non-secure HTTP less and less.

Also check this: http://letsencrypt.org/ - in case you can do it on your own for free.

I did a bit of research on letsencrypt.org - and turned up nothing. Including no entry in my browsers' Certificate Authority lists.

You and I (and I assume Bob) know how to add a CA to our authority list, but does anyone else? And without that entry, a digital certificate is worth the paper it's printed on.

Bob might need to spend a few dollars on a certificate from a trusted authority, so that everyone else can use the forums.--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
If your browser likes the rpg.net forums, then it already likes letsencrypt.org certificates. And it probably does.

-Morgan, thinks all signs point to them *being* a trusted authority.
Bob Schroeck Wrote:Ooh.  That just might be it.  I'll have to give that a try when I get home tonight.  Thanks!

And no, that's not it.  I am growing increasingly confused at what is going on.  I can run "select * from mybb_threads" just fine, but if I put it inside a "BEGIN/END" block it suddenly throws a syntax error.  And with or without "BEGIN/END", I still get a syntax error on trying to declare a variable. ... Wait.  I just tried something completely stupid, and of course it works. Even though DECLARE and its uses are thoroughly documented, it appears the only way I can actually declare a variable is to do what's flagged as the wrong answer on that Stack Over flow page: "SET @mybb_tid = 0;"  works.  How dumb is that?  <sigh>  Time to rewrite my script.-- Bob
---------
Morganite Wrote:If your browser likes the rpg.net forums, then it already likes letsencrypt.org certificates. And it probably does.

-Morgan, thinks all signs point to them *being* a trusted authority.

rpg.net issues SSL/TLS certificates? (That seems rather outside of their core competency.) If they don't, then that isn't the sort of "authority" I'm talking about.

I did a bit more investigation of Let's Encrypt - including looking on Wikipedia.

Yeah, they've been around for a few months. (They came out of beta after the last time I visited rpg.net, though.) TLS only, which isn't a big deal considering how broken most versions of SSL are. They issue domain-validated certificates only - that might or might not be an issue.

Oh! Here's a red flag: "Let's Encrypt issues certificates valid for 90 days. Their reason is that these certificates "limit damage from key compromise and mis-issuance" and encourage automation." The first reason doesn't hold water - certificate revocation is a thing. The second reason ... sounds like a lazy authority to me. How serious are these people about providing service?

Bob, do you want to have to renew the site's certificate every three months, even if it is free?--
Rob Kelk

Let's Encrypt is designed to work with the new ACME protocol, which gets and validates certificates for you automatically. So you don't have to manually renew the certificate every 90 days -- you just have to set up a cron job or something to do it periodically.

Let's Encrypt's root cert is "IdenTrust’s DST Root X3", according to their FAQ, and according to that FAQ all non-ancient browsers support it. (The FAQ also explains ACME.)

I know the folks who developed Let's Encrypt, and they're some of the best Internet security people out there. They know what they're doing.
robkelk Wrote:rpg.net issues SSL/TLS certificates? (That seems rather outside of their core competency.) If they don't, then that isn't the sort of "authority" I'm talking about.

The point was that they're a site that uses certificates from Let's Encrypt, and no one ever had to fool around with their browser to make them work.

It... kinda feels like you're missing how big a deal LE is. Have you read any of the pages relating to it on eff.org? I'd check that out, since they're one of the major groups behind the project.

-Morgan.
>certificate revocation is a thing
Man, OCSP is so flaky. It relies on a HTTP request to the CA. So if there server goes down everyone has to default to trusting or everything grinds to a halt.
And they do go down, constantly.

LetsEncryt is entirely legit. Their root is trusted in every modern browser and OS, and that is not something that happens if they are not. Granted, most people still trust Comodo too, but it is still solid.
They only issue domain-validated certs too, so its not like they are promising the moon.
jonathanlennox Wrote:Let's Encrypt is designed to work with the new ACME protocol, which gets and validates certificates for you automatically. So you don't have to manually renew the certificate every 90 days -- you just have to set up a cron job or something to do it periodically.

cron jobs are known to fail - I've seen it happen a non-trivial number of times.
jonathanlennox Wrote:Let's Encrypt's root cert is "IdenTrust’s DST Root X3", according to their FAQ, and according to that FAQ all non-ancient browsers support it. (The FAQ also explains ACME.)

I know the folks who developed Let's Encrypt, and they're some of the best Internet security people out there. They know what they're doing.

"IdenTrust" I've heard of, and this explains why they;re not in my browsers' authority lists. So my only concern is the 90-day lifespan of their certificates.--
Rob Kelk

Morganite Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:rpg.net issues SSL/TLS certificates? (That seems rather outside of their core competency.) If they don't, then that isn't the sort of "authority" I'm talking about.

The point was that they're a site that uses certificates from Let's Encrypt, and no one ever had to fool around with their browser to make them work.

It... kinda feels like you're missing how big a deal LE is. Have you read any of the pages relating to it on eff.org? I'd check that out, since they're one of the major groups behind the project.

-Morgan.

Actually, your talk about how they're a big deal is sending up another red flag in my mind. Security is not some place where we want to experiment.--
Rob Kelk

I finaly got the notice of registration for Itsune9tl for drunkards walk Administration must be backlogged....Any thing I write here may be used for content, unless used for personal gain,
or used against the Grand Duchy of Fenewick.
--
Never trust the Spell Checker, that correctly spelled word may not be the one you aimed for.