Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2018 "complain about the weather" thread
RE: The 2018 "complain about the weather" thread
It took a little over a month, but Ottawa has the snow and cold now. (The seven-day forecast shows the temperature not getting as high as freezing at all.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
We've got our first "wintry mix" of the season forecast for tomorrow. Ice, snow and rain, however briefly.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Joy, I'm traveling from Philly to Boston in this crap tomorrow... by train.
Still in abnormally hot, dry, and windy weather here in California. Humidity tripled today though, up from 8% to 24% relative humidity. People driving slow on the freeways to watch the fires burn as soon as the Santa Monica Mountains come into view. Only smoky here when the wind shifts direction, but we got that nice orangish hue thing going in the sky.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I would be happy to send you some of our chill and wet, if only it would help.

(We're expecting 4"-6" of snow tonight.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And the first snowflakes have just started falling here.

Edit: And in less than 15 minutes it's a full-bore snowfall.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Forecast here in the Bridgewater Triangle (a bit south of Boston) now says a little sleet before changing back to rain - temps are hovering just above freezing still and only supposed to get warmer overnight, so whatever we get will probably melt straight off. Bloody frigid the last couple of nights, though.
--
‎noli esse culus
As it turned out, the storm here was much worse than anyone had initially anticipated -- forecasters saw the shift in the patterns a couple hours ahead of time but somewhere along the line the roads departments and other official and groups dropped the ball and there was nothing in place to deal with the actual intensity we got. People took hours to get home, even after leaving in early afternoon; a school was cut off and had to house its students overnight (they fed them and showed them Frozen -- someone had a sense of humor about it all), and even now there are apparently still people on Route 280 trying to get home from yesterday.
-- Bob

Ugh.

They tried something new here last night - they sprayed the highways with de-icing fluid. Judging from the collision count this morning, it seems to have done a bit of good.

Still snowing here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
They've been using deicing fluid of some sort around here for the last few years. It seems to help, but it's hard to be sure.
-- Bob

Yes, I know it's 2019. It's still winter.

Case in point -- last night's "wintry mix" turned into 4 inches of snow -- on us, and not much else. My job isn't even delayed, while I spent a good hour and a half this morning digging out. And our FIOS is dead. And Peg's mom has no power, for the second time in 16 hours.

Dammit, it's March. This used to be the start of Spring up until the last few years.
-- Bob

I'm waiting for farmers to realize that there's no longer any such thing as a reliable growing season.  Oh, my; there'll be some yelling, and screaming....
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Yes, it's been a nice seasonable December, hasn't it? Bit of a long autumn, it seemed. It must be the (insert disliked political group here)'s fault. [/sarcasm]
--
‎noli esse culus
Bob? It's basically been spring since early February here. We had the 'it's basically summer during the day and in the sun but darn cold at night' late March to early May weather not even one and a half weeks ago.

Hell, the 1983 Elfstedentocht was skated on 21st of February. Day time temperature this year? Upper 10's to lower 20's Celsius.
It was 17 degrees on Friday.

It snowed on Sunday. It froze overnight.

Those're proper European degrees too.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.