Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2018 "complain about the weather" thread
RE: The 2018 "complain about the weather" thread
Meanwhile, it's parching here.

Like, properly, grass bleaching, reservoirs shrivelling up parching. There's a red wildfire alert which is something I don't remember happening at all.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Ooh... your farmer are going to be very unhappy I'm afraid. Depending on how long the freezing temperatures last that can do quite some damage to their crops.

Which probably also means that local food prices will increase a bit.
Holy BALLS I hate summer. I'll take wearing three layers and a blanket burrito on top over being twenty degrees over the comfort zone any day, and that's not even on an objectively very hot day: 95F (35C), which is basically a seasonal low in some board members' areas from what I understand. Needless to say, I plan to strenuously avoid the American Southwest, and Connecticut in winter is about as far south as I willingly venture. Outlaw sir conditioners and I'd love to see how fast the climate change deniers started singing a different tune.
We hit 35C today - just shy of blood temperature, but add in the humidity effect and it's hot.

Guess whose AC isn't working in the middle of this holiday weekend?

I'm headed to my father's place for supper today. He has working air conditioning.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Here in Windsor (Ontario) today's high is 34C (93.2F), before humidity (which brings it up to 45C (113F)  Exclamation

It's looking to be similar all week, and I work around plastic injection molding machines which produce a lot of heat on their own... Rolleyes
At least I'm not on afternoon shifts this week
The Netherlands aren't much better. I mean, sure, the nights are cold because there's no clouds at all (10-15C) but the daytime high's at 30-35C and still no clouds to be seen. And we've been having a shortfall of rain.
102F around us yesterday afternoon. Supposed to be much the same today. The only good news in the weather is that the heat wave is apparently going to break just before we leave on our annual beach vacation on Saturday, and we'll be getting 80s, at least for a few days starting Saturday.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
It'll be a heat wave to Saturday here in Welland.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
Conditions in Ottawa five minutes ago: 32C and blue sky.
Current conditions in Ottawa: 32C and thundershower.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-26-2018, 03:38 PM)robkelk Wrote: (blows snow dust off thread)

It snowed in Newfoundland yesterday.

Gander, NL, June 26:
[Image: gander-snow-in-june.jpg]

Moving toward Central Canada (roughly due north of the US Eastern Seaboard), the forecast for this weekend for Ottawa is high temperatures near blood temperature on July 1.

Huh

You can tell I haven't checked this thread in a while.

For a minute there I read that as "Gardner, IL", which a band I follow (Schooner Fare) did a song about a while back.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Ireland under red fire warning. And drought warning - which had to be sent by the flood warning system. Lots of minor fires going.

Temperatures don't go much above 25-30 - but everything is designed for cooler weather because temperatures never go that high. Domestic AC doesn't exist except in a few outliers. And the local council's tendancy of just fucking tar and stones on top of worn roads rather than properly resurface is sort of resulting in the whole lot melting and disintegrating.

And the chippings make shite of the paint

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
And two thunderstorms have swept through here in the last four hours, dropping the temperature by a good 20 degrees F. We'll still have warm, humid days through Friday, but the forecast gives us high 70s/low 80s F and low humidity starting Saturday. Which should make our vacation absolutely perfect.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Well at least someone's getting a respite. They keep predicting rain and lower temperatures here, but for the past week and a half that's been consistently "tomorrow or the next day" and never actually arriving. High humidity, though, and it's not uncommon to get these kind of temperatures as seasonal highs so at least we don't have the problems Dartz is describing, though no AC in my particular residence and it only has one outlet per room located more to be convenient for lamps than windows since it was only updated halfheartedly in the seventies or so, by skinflint swamp yankees who considered air conditioning a frivolous luxury and going rapidly from hot to cold air bad for your health. Wink
If I'm reading the weather radar correctly, Ottawa should get a storm around 9pm-10pm (an hour-long storm or so).

The the temperature plummets - it's currently 32C, tonight's forecast low is 19C, and tomorrow's forecast high is 22C with no humidex
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh hey, we're on fire again. OK, 50km away in Goleta (near UCSB), but still pretty close for a wildfire eating homes. Six months since the last fire started (and five months since it ended), more record heat with fires is hardly welcome.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Downtown Ottawa just got a tornado warning.

Sure, nineteen times out of twenty there's no tornado... but I'm professionally paranoid.

EDIT: Increase those odds - weather radar is picking up rotation cells upwind of where I am. No data yet whether they're turning into funnel clouds, let alone touching down.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Where I was previously living on a hilltop in Cow Hamshah there was a tornado warning once, and even a visible funnel cloud though it never touched down. Watching it pass by below me in the valley was a fun time.

Come to think of it, that was right after the house fire in 2012. Maybe karma figured I'd had enough for one week?
And the alert's been cancelled. No worries here... today.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-01-2018, 05:06 PM)robkelk Wrote: And the alert's been cancelled. No worries here... today.

Oh, yeah... it's September in Ottawa.

The day before yesterday, the high was 32°C. The day after tomorrow, the forecast low is 4°C.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, we just had our weather here in NJ plunge something like 20 degrees F (about 11 C) overnight. Not as bad as yours but still kind of dramatic.
-- Bob

We've had a tornado warning going for about an hour now. Somebody just lost his house - he's being interviewed on the radio as I type this. (Nobody else was home.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Update: That tornado hit both sides of the Ottawa River. No reports of fatalities, but two people are seriously injured and there's plenty of property damage.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ot...-1.4834216

Approximately one-quarter of the city is without power (including my home - I'm back at the office) and we doubt it'll be back before tomorrow at the earliest - too many power lines blown down, power poles snapped, and transformers blown at step-down stations. On the up side, it's still warm out there.

EDIT: It's warm now, but it's cooling off this weekend...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Glad to hear you're safe, man.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
Thanks. It's no fun driving out there - there are enough people who don't remember "intersection with traffic signals but no power" is an all-way stop that driving would be hazardous even if the street lights were on - but as yet nobody's been reported as having been hurt on a road.

EDIT: And now the power company's outage map is blank.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown