Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XII
Apparently, the bot got horribly farbled up by a backend change on Miraheze's end and was thus spitting out garbled results, Void is fixing it.
I request some input for other mods.

This task is almost done: most of the pages with the category "No Real Life Examples, Please" now use the template "noreallife", and thus have reasons why we don't want real-life examples. (In a few cases, I removed the category instead of adding the template - rassan-frassan TVTropes prudes.) There are still 13 pages that don't use the template. It makes sense for "All The Tropes:No Real Life Examples, Please" and "All The Tropes:No Real Life Examples, Please/Laconic" to not use the template. I'm unsure about the other 11 pages.

These pages have the category "No Real Life Examples, Please", but they also have Real Life examples. On a case-by-case basis, what do we want to do: remove the RL examples and add the template, remove the category, or something else?

<sarcasm> Funny how all but one of these are either sexual or sexualized... </sarcasm>
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I found another duplicated trope. Anybody have a preference which name we keep?

(Please reply there, not here.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hey, Brent, how does "Manage a wiki (permissions)" work? Is there a FAQ or a tutorial for it anywhere?

(I'm not asking because of ATT, I'm asking because of the freebie wiki. I thought we had that wiki set up so you had to be logged on to edit, but I'm seeing edits and new-page creation from anon users there now. I'd like to set it back to being world-readable but having to be logged in to edit.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
YKTTW there's an extra scene (not a preview) after the ending credits? What do we call that?

I don't see a page named "after-credit scene" or "credit cookie"...

EDIT: Ah. Of course the trope name (a) doesn't match what the rest of the world calls this, and (b) uses a name that the rest of the world uses for something else. I've redirected "Credit Cookie" to "The Stinger" for now. Do we rename "The Stinger"?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Stinger" is pretty much the industry-standard name for an after-credits scene; not sure I like the idea of renaming the page.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
In that case, the trope description needs a re-write.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
503s are back.

At least I had my merges of the examples in "Interplay of Sex and Violence" and "Sex Is Violence" saved in a way that doesn't lose any information or break either page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We have some tropes tagged as needing better descriptions.

Anybody mind if I move them all back to the Trope Workshop? I already moved the one that didn't have any examples either.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
No problems here. Go for it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Done. I also put a sitenotice up alerting people to the move and asking for help editing them.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The wiki is now down to three tropes that have the "No Real Life Examples, Please" category but don't use the noreallife template. I'm not sure what to do with them. Please advise:

Parental Incest - perform a minor example sectionectomy or drop the "no real life" category?

Safe Word - perform a minor example sectionectomy or drop the "no real life" category?

Teacher-Student Romance - perform a minor example sectionectomy or drop the "no real life" category?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Would somebody who has a clue about video games sort the examples on Discontinuity/Video Games into Canon Discontinuity, Fanon Discontinuity, and Negative Continuity, please?

I can do the rest of the cleanup work from there, but somebody else needs to do this step for me.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Once is gibberish. Twice is vandalism.

I've blocked the entire 202.67.33.0/24 subnet for two weeks.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And the Wiki's very unstable today -- 502 and 503 errors are popping up with some regularity for me. When they aren't, it takes annoyingly long to load a page.
-- Bob

(11-06-2018, 11:03 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: No problems here.  Go for it.

And then, looking at some of those pages tagged for better descriptions, I can't figure out what's missing that they need...
-- Bob

Just made a new category: Gaming Lore. "Stories told by or about gamers and particular play sessions, both tabletop and video. "

I've added the most obvious (to me) three examples; please add more...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Similarly, I added the category Bookish Tropes (from a then-nonexistent category added to Extremely Overdue Library Book while it was still in the Trope Workshop; this is for any trope having to do with books, libraries and other physical accumulations of written information. Likewise, feel free to populate it.
-- Bob

And another: Police Procedural Parody. Exactly what it says on the tin... well, almost - satire, travesty, and flat-out ridicule are also on-topic.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-20-2018, 07:18 PM)robkelk Wrote: And another: Police Procedural Parody. Exactly what it says on the tin... well, almost - satire, travesty, and flat-out ridicule are also on-topic.

I notice the current list does not include the Police Acadamy series (either the movies or the cartoon series)
(11-20-2018, 07:22 PM)Norgarth Wrote:
(11-20-2018, 07:18 PM)robkelk Wrote: And another: Police Procedural Parody. Exactly what it says on the tin... well, almost - satire, travesty, and flat-out ridicule are also on-topic.

I notice the current list does not include the Police Acadamy series (either the movies or the cartoon series)

Feel free to add them in! EDIT: Or I suppose I could do it. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I have little skill with wikis, I tend to spend much more time trying to fix my posts than actually making them. 8(
Categories are easy. You don't even have to edit the page. Go down to the bottom, where there will be a box in which the first word is "Categories". At the very end of the list in that box, you will see "(+)". Click that. You'll get a little input field and some buttons. Type the category name in there -- it's got auto-complete, like so many other things in the wiki -- and hit "OK". That's all you need to do.
-- Bob

And if you want to add more than one category, click on the (+) at the end of the list again before you click on OK - you'll get another input field. (If you do that, you'll have to click on the "Save" button at the other end of the list when you're done, then scroll down and click on the save button on the screen that loads after that.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
There's no page for "Spamfic" on the wiki -- can someone who knows what it is make a page for it?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto