RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XII
It's later. Here you go.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
As I make my way through the Creators category one page at a time, I find myself wondering... Is it wrong to be completely pissed off that someone like Sir Laurence Olivier has a single page, while some two-bit Let's Player who was active for a single year a decade ago gets an entire hierarchy of a half-dozen or more lovingly detailed pages?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Welcome to the wiki, Looney Toons! We're always glad to have a new user.

I mean, you know what tropers are like. The wiki does lowbrow literary criticism, so naturally it attracts lowbrow fandoms. Also it's not quite a fair comparison, because the creator page represents the work for LPers, where that's not really the case with other media.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
At least Sir Laurence Olivier has a page... that's one more than Glenn Gould, Oscar Peterson, and Jeff Beck have.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Also, it's not "lowbrow-vs-highbrow" -- the Three Stooges have an absolutely massive set of pages, but they're influential, they're culturally significant. Decades after the last of them died and they're still recognized by the general public, and their comedy is part of the cultural vocabulary. They deserve all the coverage we can give them. It's just that... I know it goes against the "no notability" ethic of the wiki, but in the months of going through the Creator pages, I have grown sick and tired of seeing great artists, performers and writers getting three-sentence stub pages while YouTubers no one's ever heard of get a half-dozen or dozen pages documenting every second of the five three-minute videos that comprise their entire oeuvre.

I just wish I could find someone like the person or people who had the energy to document every last damn professional wrestler and redirect their energy to the artists, musicians and authors who really deserve an entry pimp juggernaut.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Don't know whether this would help... We already have Names to Know in Anime, but that's the only "Names to Know" page we have. It would make sense to have "Names to Know in Film", "Names to Know in Literature", "Names to Know in Music", "Names to Know in Theatre", and so on - at the least, that would show how many pages we should create.

We'd have to come up with criteria for listing people on those pages, of course... which gets us into the whole "notability" thing.

Oh, and one of the reasons I've been creating those navboxes is to show how many pages about good works and creators are still redlinks.

EDIT: In fact, I think I'll take the "Names to Know" idea to the forums. Right now.
RE-EDIT: Here's the page
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And boy are the 503s rampant today. I even had a brief moment when allthetropes.org disappeared entirely and wouldn't even respond to a ping.
-- Bob

For a moment, I was tempted to move "Names to Know in Music" out of my sandbox... then I realized the list is currently "Names to Know in Rock Music with a Few Other Musicians". Are there any Country or Jazz or Classical or Klezmer of other not-Rock fans out there who could add to the list?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, and I failed to note to the group at large that I have started a Names to Know in SF/Fantasy page. Please check it out and make any changes you think appropriate.
-- Bob

And now Names to Know in Comedy.
-- Bob

I just took the protection off of Names to Know in Music

If I'm going to ask for help populating the page, I should make it possible to populate the page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I finished working my way through everything in the Creators category yesterday; I guess it's time to figure out why it lists the subpages when Work and Trope don't.

Brent, Geth... is there a good online tutorial or course in Lua that either of you'd recommend?
-- Bob

Heads up, folks.  I think we've got someone playing games.  

We need to watch all these accounts.
-- Bob

Why does somebody need a second account, anyway? (Unless he's running a bot... and we want to keep a close watch on those, too.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, it's been a long day, and I'm tired and don't trust my own judgment... Should we port this part of Wikipedia to All The Tropes and install it on all the bureaucrats' Talk pages (and make it optional for everybody else)?

Would it even work with our custom Talk pages?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yes. And if it doesn't work, we make it work.
-- Bob

Do we have a page of links to off-wiki writing advice?

The Princess Bride Guide to Copywriting
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-03-2018, 02:08 PM)robkelk Wrote: Do we have a page of links to off-wiki writing advice?

Advice, tools, and other goodies for writers
-- Bob

Sorry... Does the wiki have a page of links to off-wiki writing advice?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Whoops. Didn't even realize what thread this was. Probably not, and we should have one. Feel free to cannibalize that thread for links if I don't beat you to it.
-- Bob

Advice, please, folks. I'm not sure what I should do about this. Did I act incorrectly? Do I owe this guy an apology, at least in part?
-- Bob

This looks to be to be bad documentation of policy. I'll make the apology now and fix the documentation later.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
All The Tropes:Works Page Guidelines is now updated.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-05-2018, 09:43 AM)robkelk Wrote: This looks to be to be bad documentation of policy. I'll make the apology now and fix the documentation later.

Thanks, Rob.
-- Bob