Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki
RE: [OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki
Just tweaked the wiki sidebar a bit... and the "Print/export" menu showed up.

Unfortunately, "Create a book" and "Download as PDF" don't work at the moment, but "Printable version" sends the page you're on to your printer. So install a "print to PDF" driver if you don't have one installed already, and you can make PDF pages out of wiki pages.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I was looking at the birthdays Rob just added, and saw that Layla Hamilton is age 17, and I'm thinking... really?  Her arc makes more sense if she's 21-23.  I never got the impression she was an underage girl.  I mean, I guess it's possible.  Back when I was not-dating[1] a gymnast, she said one usually got about ten good years of doing gym before one's body broke down too much.  So... plausible, but weird.

Which led me to two resources:
* A good general one for everyone, Charatan, a place to look up the birthdays and blood types and such of all your favorite animu.  Convenient search by first kana in the title or first name.  Tanabata is the most popular birthdate, btw.

* A very specific one, California Child Labor Law pamphlet, or maybe light novel at that size, which explain the myriad conditions on child actors and performers. 

[1]: "Do you want to come over to my place?"
Girl, like ten years older than me: "Do you have any candy?"[2]

[2]: If you think that makes my life sound like an anime, a couple of years later I was in a love triangle at Psi Phi house with a girl named Chibi.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(08-01-2020, 01:43 AM)Labster Wrote: ...
Which led me to two resources:
* A good general one for everyone, Charatan, a place to look up the birthdays and blood types and such of all your favorite animu.  Convenient search by first kana in the title or first name.  Tanabata is the most popular birthdate, btw.

Assuming they have the data, of course. Zero hits on A Certain Magical Index, zero hits on Tenchi Muyo, one hit on Puella Magi Madoka Magica (so we now have Madoka's blood type listed on her page)... EDIT: Oh, much better - 15 hits for Sailor Moon, 19 hits for ARIA.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just added a little something to the wiki - if a displacee has a birthday listed, there's now an image link in the information box that will take you to the Calendar page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I could see how Tenchi Muyo would have a dearth of info on a site like that - it's kind of a niche fandom, which is ironic considering that it is the archetype of the harem comedy genre.  But being that short on information on Index and Madoka?  Seems to me there's only a few people working on that particular project.

Rob, do we have some kind of classification for character pages that need more statistical information (e.g.: height, weight, birthday, blood type, etc.)?  I know that there are some character pages out there that, while not really stubs, do need more general information like that.
(08-02-2020, 05:04 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Rob, do we have some kind of classification for character pages that need more statistical information (e.g.: height, weight, birthday, blood type, etc.)?  I know that there are some character pages out there that, while not really stubs, do need more general information like that.

I never did a category for that (because I know from experience on three other wikis that nobody ever takes the category off the pages that have been cleaned up, and I haven't had time to automate the process), but I do have an overview page. Data-Mining the Wiki shows all the fields for almost all the displacee boxes - fill in the blanks on the character pages, then "purge" the data-mining page to update it.

Of course, if a page doesn't exist at all, it won't show up on that list.

EDIT: Scratch that "almost" - I just re-organized the Celestials' writeups so that they wouldn't break the automation.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Sixth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
Say, Rob? Is it supposed to be set up where I have to hit "Dark Mode" on every single page? Or is there a cookie that my browser is supposed to be accepting?
I don't use Dark Mode, so I think you've discovered a bug.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yippie-kay-yay. I'll fiddle around with it some and let Brent know what I find. This is probably his department since it probably affects the rest of the wiki-farm. (Though how on earth no one's discovered this issue is beyond me. Maybe I just did something 'Speshul'.)
For obvious reasons, I wasn't in the right frame of mind to write today. So I did some wiki work instead.

Most of the college-age folks at "Bob's place" now have their majors and minors at Rutgers listed. I made sure the programs are actually offered there, too. I had to guess at courses for a couple of people... and "those three girls" from Comic Party still don't have courses listed.

As for tuition fees... maybe they all have part-time jobs? Except that won't work for the doujin artists, who use their non-class time writing and drawing... handwaves that for now.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Anybody know who "TemekaPride" is?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Can't say as I do. The name sounds familiar - like as if it was something lifted out of comic books or young adult novels.
(09-22-2020, 08:13 AM)robkelk Wrote: Anybody know who "TemekaPride" is?

Spam.  A quick Google turns up this user page at Wikicorp which, besides being word salad, links to a page for a muscle-building product which seems to have a very extensive network of comment spam and supporting websites feeding into it.

Nuke'em with prejudice.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Thanks. Done.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Should I put this up on my character's page on the Wiki with the statement that I have done every single thing on there at least several times in my life?  Wink

[Image: 7d3ba5ec0f92380ac2bcb5cf4b0da113.jpg]
Guys? The wiki is closed due to inactivity. Whoever is bureaucrat needs to go and uncheck the "closed" setting on Special:ManageWiki according to the banner that's being displayed.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I was just in there yesterday, and looked at it this morning... (goes back) ...done. And going to Phabricator to report a bug.

EDIT: T6450, which also affected the freebie wiki. Here's hoping it doesn't hit ATT as well... or, maybe, hoping that it does hit ATT, so we can show their script has a major bug. If their most-active wiki gets closed for inactivity, please update the same ticket.

RE-EDIT: It would be nice if Phabricator let you see active tickets before offering to create a new ticket. See also T6446, T6403, T6448
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And apparently the problem is solved. Paladox fixed an unspecified bug that closed wikis according to the resolution of T6448.

EDIT: We're still showing the banner; the resolution does say you still have to go in and change the "closed" checkbox.
-- Bob

Already cleared as of 10:01 this morning. Maybe something's stuck in your cache?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Possibly, it's cleared up now, though.
-- Bob

I decided to pick some non-canon birthdays for characters at Blossom. Not Index and Touma, because they don't remember their birthdays (and the anime Xs-out Index's birthday when we see a close-up of her passport). Not Luna and Artemis, because there's no way to reconcile the Silver-Millennium-era Mau calendar with any modern-day Earth calendar. But the others are good to pick dates out of a hat.

So... random.org, five random numbers between 1 and 365, please.

Diana now shares a birthday with Akira.

Maika now shares a birthday with Auska.

Ruiko doesn't have to share her birthday yet.

Kuroko doesn't have to share her birthday yet, either.

Mii... no, I'm re-rolling that result, because Mii isn't a Whispered - there are too many characters with canon birthdays on Christmas Eve. (re-rolls) (consults calendar) (laughs) Sure, why not? Mii now shares my SI's birthday. My SI has to marry her now - one fewer important date to remember. Smile

EDIT: Oops, one more random number for Mitsuko Kongo, please... (consults calendar) No, somebody would have mentioned that she arrived on her birthday. Roll again, please... She gets a so-far-unique birthday.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I see that Bob added one of the Green Leaf Girls to the K-On! displacee list... so I added the other one, plus Only Girlz. No pages for the other characters yet, just listings on the residence page.

Speaking of... did we ever decide on just where in New Brunswick, NJ Bob's Place is?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
No we, we hadn't. But I suggested a couple places back at the start of this. Let me hop over to a search page and see if I can find the posts.

Okay, back. Here's one, and the next one I posted.

Going back now, and with the current population of "Bob's Place" much larger than it was speculated on back then, I've come back to thinking that the Douglass Gardens Apartments in the first message is the best choice. I'm going to want to have part of it turned into a "community center" where everyone can hang out (for plot purposes, mainly, because if all socializing is done in individual apartments, it'll be hard to do crowd scenes and cross-pollination between casts), and another part turned into a practice room/recording studio (for all three bands, and where Nao will reign supreme as she moves from just songwriter to full producer).

Oh, and now that we've got the full memberships of both Sakuragaoka-born bands in place, we might see something like this on a regular basis. (And I do like the idea of having them jam with the Hong Kong Cavaliers and maybe even Gossamer Axe. And I have a very special jam session in mind for my little story idea.)
-- Bob

Does this mean I should move "Bob's place" from the Intentionally Available list to the Active list?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
...Let me get back to you on that.
-- Bob