Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update Thread 40: I'm Running Out of Clever Names
RE: Update Thread 40: I'm Running Out of Clever Names
Talking of A Thing of Vikings, what (as a great American poet once asked) is a legacy? It's Planting Seeds in a Garden... kind of like this:

In the Parable of Honi and the Carob Tree (The Talmud, Taanit 23a), Rabbi Yohanan (Wikipedia indicates this is probably the bar-Nafkha) Wrote:He said to himself: Is there really a person who can sleep and dream for seventy years? How is it possible to compare the seventy-year exile in Babylonia to a dream?  One day, he was walking along the road when he saw a certain man planting a carob tree. Honi said to him: This tree, after how many years will it bear fruit? The man said to him: It will not produce fruit until seventy years have passed. Honi said to him: Is it apparent to you that you will live seventy years, that you expect to benefit from this tree? He said to him: I found a world full of carob trees. Just as my ancestors planted for me, I too am planting for my descendants. Honi sat and ate bread. Sleep overcame him and he slept. A cliff formed around him, and he disappeared from sight and slept for seventy years. When he awoke, he saw a certain man gathering carobs from that tree. Honi said to him: Are you the one who planted this tree? The man said to him: I am his son's son.

In Vedrarfjord, Astrid leads her loves away from the devastation to whose wreaking they contributed so much more than she. Helping Fishlegs produce a proper record of the captives, Heather has two unwelcome encounters in much-too-rapid succession. In his cabin on the Ashkelon, moored at Thames-mouth, Viggo's note-taking on the battle of London is disrupted by late news from Eire. Back in Vedrarfjord, Hiccup wakes up, still wishing nobody'd had to die, and puts forward a bold proposal for how maybe nobody will have to die next time. After the meeting, Fishlegs makes plans to help implement that proposal, and finds those plans made personal by an aftershock from one of Heather's earlier confrontations. Finally, south of the city, Rabbi Dovid and those who came with him meet the Hooligans...

https://archiveofourown.org/works/104089...s/40758494
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12639117/74...Of-Vikings

Messages In This Thread
RE: Update Thread 40: I'm Running Out of Clever Names - by Mamorien - 01-06-2019, 05:23 PM