Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII
Brent, can the "low on storage for uploads" issue be solved by throwing money at it?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Yeah, what Rob said. I don't have a lot of spare cash right now but I could scrape together something.

EDIT: And after a quick hop over to browse both meta.miraheze.org and Phabricator, I get the feeling that no, this is not something that can be fixed by throwing money at it. If the finances page I saw is still accurate, the wiki is not hurting for money so badly that it can't afford more disk space out of its current cash supply, and there's a Phab ticket for the out of space error tagged as "Unbreak this now!" (and which notes that despite the error Miraheze has almost a gig of free space available for uploads). Something else is going on somewhere.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Ah, heck.

Although, come to think of it, I should toss a few dollars into the pot. I'm a bureaucrat at two of the largest wikis on the farm, after all.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I plan to do the same when I get my next paycheck in a week.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Oh, and here is the Phabricator ticket if anyone wants to watch it.
-- Bob

Odd question, is there a trope for respectfully handling 9/11 in a universe where it wouldn't be a big deal? I know Marvel did some issues where a whole bunch of supervillians who have all done much worse in their time consider it the most dreadful thing ever. On the other hand you can't mock or belittle a real tragedy that killed thousands of people and fundamentally changed history.

Incidently, it's now so far in the past, it's probably dropped out of Marvel's sliding timescale. Makes you feel old, doesn't it.
Upload problems may be fixed -- I just uploaded two images, not expecting the first to work.
-- Bob

(03-15-2019, 10:18 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I plan to do the same when I get my next paycheck in a week.

Speaking of a week, I should have some ready cash then.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
There has to be some place on the wiki to put this...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Uh, thanks for the money guys. I'm having some random issues with the Paypal account now, so I need to open a real checking account, and then everything will be fine. So for right now, I'm paying for the whole farm. The money is not really a big deal for me. It's more that I don't really want to spend the time to open a nonprofit, and then do all of the paperwork on it forever. The main thing holding me back is that I don't want to be tied to the wiki farm forever, and unless I can get some other people who want to run it as a nonprofit, and run the fundraising and accounting side, then I'm going to be stuck with it. So then I just end up falling back on doing what is easiest, which is the status quo.

So I guess: HELP WANTED: Accounting or Fundraising people.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Oh, hey, Rob? I deliberately wrote this example from the Strong Girl Bong-soon page like this
Quote:* [[Always Someone Better]]: Min-hyeok and Guk-doo are this to ''each other'', as seen in episode 6 -- Min-hyeok [[The Minnesota Fats|demolishes Guk-doo at pool]], and Guk-doo takes him to the cleaners in darts.
because it was a pool game Min-hyeok was beating Guk-doo at. I knew it redirected back to the same trope the example was for. Just so you know.
-- Bob

Ah. I was changing all of the redirects across the entire wiki, and that got caught.

I suppose we should have a trope about Minnesota Fats that actually discusses pool...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Do we have a generic pool hustler/pool shark trope somewhere? If not, it's a natural candidate. If so, it's a natural candidate for a redirect.
-- Bob

(03-15-2019, 01:11 PM)Jinx999 Wrote: Odd question, is there a trope for respectfully handling 9/11 in a universe where it wouldn't be a big deal? I know Marvel did some issues where a whole bunch of supervillians who have all done much worse in their time consider it the most dreadful thing ever. On the other hand you can't mock or belittle a real tragedy that killed thousands of people and fundamentally changed history.

Incidently, it's now so far in the past, it's probably dropped out of Marvel's sliding timescale. Makes you feel old, doesn't it.

I don't have a specific trope in mind, looks like a mix of Very Special Episode and Even Evil Has Standards.
Just sending out a general heads-up for newuser 19SnyderWan97 -- this guy has been uploading images without licenses, categories, sources, or even descriptions sometimes -- and has so far ignored a message on his user talk page about this for two weeks now. (For which I've just given him a 2-day "wake up!" tempban.) His contributions to the text of articles are littered with evidence that he's a TVT refugee. I've spot-checked some of his additions and made sure they weren't cut'n'pastes, but I'm still kind of wary, so I'm asking everyone to just keep an eye on him.

Thanks.
-- Bob

Could somebody who has a few minutes figure out which "Little Green Riding Hood" is mentioned on Derailed Fairy Tale, please? That's the only thing keeping the "Examples Need Sorting" tag on that page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Rob, based on the search I did, it looks like it's referring to "Little Green Riding Hood", a short story/parody by Gianni Rodari originally published in 1965 under the title "Telling Stories Wrong" and renamed when it was reprinted in 1973, and republished several time since. The story at that link hits most of the details in the example, including the giraffe, the child correcting the storyteller, and the storyteller sending the child off to buy gum at the end. The example also specifies that it's a short story, so that's another matching datapoint.

No need to go back and make the change, I did it for you since I was editing that page for something else already.
-- Bob

Thanks, Bob. One less page with examples that need sorting.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We've got a vandal.

Somebody's creating accounts and using them to move content and user pages to insulting or "blue" names in Spanish. I'm reverting and blocking when I see them, but for now, new accounts need to be watched carefully.

I've requested a Checkuser.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-15-2019, 06:31 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 10:18 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I plan to do the same when I get my next paycheck in a week.

Speaking of a week, I should have some ready cash then.

Check's cleared. Brent, please check your PayPal balance.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-18-2019, 02:01 PM)SelfCloak Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 01:11 PM)Jinx999 Wrote: Odd question, is there a trope for respectfully handling 9/11 in a universe where it wouldn't be a big deal? I know Marvel did some issues where a whole bunch of supervillians who have all done much worse in their time consider it the most dreadful thing ever. On the other hand you can't mock or belittle a real tragedy that killed thousands of people and fundamentally changed history.

I don't have a specific trope in mind, looks like a mix of Very Special Episode and Even Evil Has Standards.

Interestingly, we have one for the wiki itself: "Rule of Cautious Editing Judgment". I can't think of one for works, though.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yes, thanks Rob.  Our finances look quite a bit better lately, thanks to outside donations, and also thanks to me paying for everything for the last two months.  I think I have Paypal straightened out now, so I won't have to do that.

Still looking for finance volunteers, though.  Anyone looking to help organize a online fundraiser.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Guys, something seems to be wonky with the notices and alerts. I just found several messages sent to me by 19SnyderWan97 by seeing them in Recent Changes, even though one is on my User Talk page, and the others are replies to my messages to him on his user talk, which he's acting like he didn't get notice of. I CC'ed all the admins on my notes to him -- did any of you get pinged about them on Friday?
-- Bob

I haven't received any notifications in the last two days.

Just sent you a test ping on your own talk page. EDIT: and I just created your account's User talk page on the private wiki for "There's Nothing Better", where we don't have all the bells and whistles that ATT has. You should at least get a cross-wiki notification for that, I'd think.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Nope, no sign in the alert/notice icons.
-- Bob