Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIII
I'm guessing from the way he phrased the edit comment that he didn't, he just objected to its deletion. And I see where this is going -- regardless of what TVT did with the material, its rights still belong to the original writer(s).

He didn't create an account, which is going to make reliably contacting him difficult -- especially since the notification system still seems to be borked except for thanks.

EDIT: Okay, finally actually looked at his contribution. It's one huge screed against Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which makes it more likely he's the sole author, and it's in a mix of TVT and MediaWiki markup, with an edit trail that shows he was slowly figuring out how the markup worked here, but apparently wasn't able to grasp how we do links.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
If it is his work, we might want to clean it up and move it to a review page, then.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Yeah, I saw your reply to him. Makes sense to me.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I think pain-in-the-butt Davey2010 is back under the name Ariz. I've requested a checkuser on him.
-- Bob

And the checkuser was declined because davey2010's account has been inactive too long.
-- Bob

Here we go again, maybe - the account behaviour is suspicious.
Stewards'_noticeboard#Checkuser_request_-_possible_ban_evader

I've already banned the account for three days for editing another user's User page and uploading an image that from the filename claims to be from TVT.

EDIT: And they aren't related. Three-day vacation for BuddyBoy600alt for pretending to be a mod and posting a TVT image, and no worries about ongoing trolling.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Still plugging away at the National Film Registry page. I think maybe it takes longer to read this page than it would to watch the movie... Smile It needs more tropes and examples, though; as I post this, it only has one of each.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I think one of our more technical admins needs to answer this one.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just stumbled on a file upload error.
(04-08-2019, 08:21 AM)robkelk Wrote: I think one of our more technical admins needs to answer this one.

Void's responded now.

ETA: And given his answer, how the hell is still working for us?
-- Bob

As I post this, the Wikivoyage page for Ottawa has this footer text because I edited the page 10 minutes ago:

Quote:This travel guide page was last edited at 15:27, on 14 April 2019 by Wikivoyage user Robkelk. Based on work by Wikivoyage users OhanaUnited, Ikan Kekek, Traveler100, Sxg169, ThunderingTyphoons!, Traveler100bot and MuzikMachine, Wikivoyage anonymous users 45.72.161.171 and 108.168.98.26 and others.

Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Pages on All The Tropes only have the line about the CC license. Wikivoyage uses MediaWiki in the back-end. Should we look into getting the line about who updated the page?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
BuddyBoy600alt is back on the radar again. We need to keep an eye on his contributions, because they're frequently written so badly they're incomprehensible. For instance, his new entry on Happy Tree Friends/Trivia.
-- Bob

The entry wasn't applicable to the trope Screwed by the Lawyers, so I just up and deleted it (with justification).
I seem to recall he edited that page as well, right after -- there's probably a counterpart insert there, too.

Edit: He did, as an irrelevant addendum to the YouTube example. Deleted it.
-- Bob

Did he ever reply to that post you made on his talk page?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Which one? To the new page one he replied only "Oh, yes! I know that!" He has not replied to the uploading files thread in the past four days, though.
-- Bob

What is it with the 503s today? that's twice today I've run into them.
-- Bob

(04-15-2019, 07:03 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Which one?  To the new page one he replied only "Oh, yes! I know that!"  He has not replied to the uploading files thread in the past four days, though.

I was thinking of the "uploading files" thread. I know he's been on since then; he's thanked me for a few minor edits that I made to pages that he'd previously edited.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've been reviewing his edits for the last day or so, and he's not as bad as I thought, but he's still not marking up everything properly. And every once in a while, yeah, he writes something so obtuse or convoluted I can't quite figure out what he's trying to say.
-- Bob

Huh. Turns out he's not new; he's been registered for two years or so. He just hadn't made a lot of edits until the last week. I'm going through his recent edits history and fixing everything right now -- he is given to run-on sentences, random capitalization, missing words, redundant sentence structures, an inability to handle verb tenses other than the present, and confusing italics markup with double quotes. I'm starting to doubt that he's a native English speaker.
-- Bob

Either that or he's five years old.
That would mean he was three when he registered. <grin>
-- Bob

(04-15-2019, 08:03 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: What is it with the 503s today?  that's twice today I've run into them.

And they're continuing into today.

Do the hamsters in the datacentre need more water?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Not sure but we upgraded the server hosting Redis today. In theory that should make it faster, but maybe there's some weirdness going on.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Not surprising. I would expect that there'd be at least one or two glitches involved in a server upgrade.