Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neo-nazis conduct a terrorist attack in New Zealand
RE: Neo-nazis conduct a terrorist attack in New Zealand
Yeah, I was commenting yesterday with friends that odds are good this is going to cause people to start calling for much more active moderation - I expect it will slide towards demands for "curation", where it's no longer "wait for complaints" but a demand that not only is it all actively reviewed, but that platforms are considered to have actively CHOSEN anything posted. And it's going to be demanded that, no, we don't care that you're in the United States, if you're international, then the absolute "Freeze Peach" does not and CAN NOT apply. For the record, I'm in the United States, and do believe there needs to be a strong right to free speech. But at this point, the costs of exercising one's free speech have been dropped so low that there's really no disincentives against being a horrible human being.

I've actually been spending the past several years sliding slowly away from social media as a tool in my life, and increasingly I've been considering it more and more that it's actually harmful to our society, between the way it's been run, the way the money overrides 100% of all the other concerns with it, etc. In fact, I sometimes wonder if why the EU Copyright thing is being set up so immensely toxic to the way the internet is, is in part to "salt the earth" against another social network ever being able to be launched before they make a concerted effort to kill Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Tumblr, and all the rest.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neo-nazis conduct a terrorist attack in New Zealand - by LynnInDenver - 03-17-2019, 07:33 AM