Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neo-nazis conduct a terrorist attack in New Zealand
RE: Neo-nazis conduct a terrorist attack in New Zealand
I debated whether to include articles about NZ government ‘s actions regarding guns but decided against it because we already had a very long thread dedicated to gun control and feared it might derail the thread.

I will say this: the government acted decisively and in a timely manner contrary to the way it is done in the states every time one of these events happens. They opened debate on it and will be discussing how to proceed instead of just waiting until the news cycle moves on. Even saw some posts joking that New Zealand got “thoughts & prayers” wrong.

@blackaeronaut: I think you are being too hasty in judging the effectiveness of whatever measures New Zealand decides to adopt. I think that some in Australia, Canada, and Britain thought that these measures would do nothing and time has proven that while not perfect they’ve been effective in curbing further incidents.

The NRA is a target because they have been the single greatest obstacle to gun control measures and have even ensured that the issue cannot be studied scientifically. And also we should not be afraid to do what is needed because of the delicate fee-fees of gun owners. We have been doing that already and we are no closer to try to solve the issue than before.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg

Messages In This Thread
RE: Neo-nazis conduct a terrorist attack in New Zealand - by SilverFang01 - 03-22-2019, 04:03 PM