Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Fanfic Recommendations Go Hawaiian
RE: Fanfic Recommendations Go Hawaiian
Deviate's Fish has a (currently) One Piece SI on QQ called [NSFW] Worldhopping Haremseeking Powertrip, which is mostly what it says on the tin, though only possibly working up to moving to another world for a bit in three or four chapters, with thirty one in the can already. The thing is, it's quite a lot of fun despite being One Piece, and well above "guilty pleasure" writing quality. (It also doesn't include explicit sex or so far gore, despite the NSFW tag and nekomata undead-raising, though it's definitely going on and foreplay and aftercare are peripherally on camera as things metaphoriclaly fade to or from black. Even despite my severe hatedom for romanticised pirates, I still feel entirely confident in reccomending it.

Also on QQ and both shorter (three or four story posts so far) and fully explicit is orbital's Kancolle-based nerfed-Waifu-Catalog fic, [NSFW] Doing Things the Hard Way, which has so far done a great job of mating the upboat humor of the better Kancolle fanon with sexy funtimes, even if there are some possibly concerning tags and author planning comments. Of note, Destroyers tend to look young enough it'll probably be illegal to read it in Canada or parts of the EU before too long despite being a) fictional characters and b) aggregate spirits of warships full of lusty sailors actively fighting and slowly losing ground in an ongoing apocalyptic worldwide war against supernatural invaders. (At least some of whom are also on the list to be lewded at some future point.)

Honestly, if there was more good KC stuff around I might leave this one to the "not quite recommended" thread, but it is at least fun even if it's no great literature.
--
‎noli esse culus
(10-12-2021, 01:10 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: Deviate's Fish has a (currently) One Piece SI on QQ called [NSFW] Worldhopping Haremseeking Powertrip, which is mostly what it says on the tin, though only possibly working up to moving to another world for a bit in three or four chapters, with thirty one in the can already. The thing is, it's quite a lot of fun despite being One Piece, and well above "guilty pleasure" writing quality. (It also doesn't include explicit sex or so far gore, despite the NSFW tag and nekomata undead-raising, though it's definitely going on and foreplay and aftercare are peripherally on camera as things metaphoriclaly fade to or from black. Even despite my severe hatedom for romanticised pirates, I still feel entirely confident in reccomending it.

Also on QQ and both shorter (three or four story posts so far) and fully explicit is orbital's Kancolle-based nerfed-Waifu-Catalog fic, [NSFW] Doing Things the Hard Way, which has so far done a great job of mating the upboat humor of the better Kancolle fanon with sexy funtimes, even if there are some possibly concerning tags and author planning comments. Of note, Destroyers tend to look young enough it'll probably be illegal to read it in Canada or parts of the EU before too long despite being a) fictional characters and b) aggregate spirits of warships full of lusty sailors actively fighting and slowly losing ground in an ongoing apocalyptic worldwide war against supernatural invaders. (At least some of whom are also on the list to be lewded at some future point.)

Honestly, if there was more good KC stuff around I might leave this one to the "not quite recommended" thread, but it is at least fun even if it's no great literature.

So, does every action at that site require one to be logged in (and they won't accept a disposable email address in order to create an account), or did you just get really unlucky in your choice of links?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Quote:the upboat humor of the better Kancolle fanon

I see what you did there.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(10-12-2021, 06:31 AM)robkelk Wrote: So, does every action at (QQ) require one to be logged in (and they won't accept a disposable email address in order to create an account), or did you just get really unlucky in your choice of links?

It may be that you must be logged in to read things in the NSFW section? For the legal fig leaf of being able to point at the user saying they're of age and that accessing whatever it is, is legal in their jurisdiction, if nothing more. As for disposable emails not being accepted... All I know is that it worked with my mail.com address, and I don't get any spam there except what I've actually signed up for, after opting out of the weekly mail.com thing.
--
‎noli esse culus
(10-12-2021, 10:10 AM)classicdrogn Wrote:
(10-12-2021, 06:31 AM)robkelk Wrote: So, does every action at (QQ) require one to be logged in (and they won't accept a disposable email address in order to create an account), or did you just get really unlucky in your choice of links?

It may be that you must be logged in to read things in the NSFW section? For the legal fig leaf of being able to point at the user saying they're of age and that accessing whatever it is, is legal in their jurisdiction, if nothing more. As for disposable emails not being accepted... All I know is that it worked with my mail.com address, and I don't get any spam there except what I've actually signed up for, after opting out of the weekly mail.com thing.

As I understand it, that is indeed the case.  To access anything in the NSFW sections you need to be logged in.  The SFW sections can be accessed easily.
(03-28-2019, 08:27 PM)ECSNorway Wrote: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...er.730018/

A Wand For Skitter (HP.Worm) - Taylor Hebert, post-canon, wakes up as an 11-year-old in the England of HP-verse. No, Hogwarts is not prepared for Skitter. Wink

It took me over six months, but I finally got to this -- damn, was this good.  I only know a few things about Worm, but hell did I enjoy this.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
here's one I discovered recently, an SI into a (blended) Marvel universe, (mostly mutant focused) titled "Pound the Table"
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...rt.951637/

The blurb:
Quote:"If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts. If you have the law on your side, pound the law. If you have neither the facts nor the law, pound the table."

Mutant law was an emergent field, more or less the wild west of the legal profession, and on a good day, you're lucky if the law and facts aren't all dead-set against you. And when your list of recurring clients includes the Wielder of Cerebro and the Master of Magnetism?

Well... suffice to say, there is plenty of pounding the table to be done.
“Pound the Table” is excellent. Highly recommend.

Not much action, great legal drama.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
(10-21-2021, 02:35 AM)ECSNorway Wrote: “Pound the Table” is excellent. Highly recommend.

Not much action, great legal drama.

Seconded! I was just about to recommend this one!
Soul Swap is a Naruto/Bleach fusion on AO3, where Ichigo has reincarnated as Kakashi after dying during the Heuco Mundo expedition to rescue Orihime. Bleach elements are somewhat sparse as minimal setting changes have been made aside from fitting the cosmology together, though since he regains his past life memories at five, things do shortly start heading off the rails. I'm not really familiar enough with Bleach to comment on Ichi-shi's characterization, but he at least seems to be recognizable from what I do know. The cosmology as explored is at least vaguely plausible as either a different Mortal World and afterlife normally separate from where the Bleach powers usually operate in, or (if it took a long time for 15 to be reborn as 14) something that a victorious Aizen might have set up as an at least nominally better system if you buy the Naruto setting being several hundred to a couple thousand years post-apocalypse from the modern world.

It does unfortunately seem to have suffered the fate of many fics tat try to move away from canon territory in bogging down to months between updates and trailing off now a year and a half ago, but what is there is fun enough, and has a few beats I genuinely hadn't seen before in Naruto fic, and some more that are just somewhat rare. (Uchiha Fugaku as straight-man comedy relief!? Madness!) You could say that it ends on a cliffhanger, or alternately on the critical walk-on and one liner that turns the suspense of the last scenes into the context for a forgone conclusion, depending on how and how deeply you want to look at it. It's nothing earth shaking, but a better option than picking something at random from the Pit of Voles, watching the lettuce in your sandwich wilt, or counting turns on a fidget spinner, if you don't have anything more intriguing en queue.

>77k words in twelve chapters, mildly recommended
--
‎noli esse culus
The Art of Confusion and Punching Things (AO3 index link) is a Boku no Hero Academia fic where Saitama (OPM) unexpectedly gets dropped into the middle of the USJ attack. Saitama being Saitama, and also the viewpoint character, that particular part is over quite quickly, and makes it feel like it;s just coasting along through the introduction and "what Saitama did while stuff was happening" explanations for why the Sports Festival and Hosu/Stain incidents ar elargely unchanged, but it picks up again for the final exam sequence, with the bits of character development for a couple of the problem children making for a nice mini-arc resolution even if the progress is currently listed as 6/9 chapters, and they're just heading off to the summer camp.

14668 words and last updated in October after a month's gap, so it may be petering out, but what is there is decent as I say, and it's not like that's a large time investment.
--
‎noli esse culus
Maybe you've heard of Youjo Senki, aka A Young Woman's War Record or The Saga of Tanya the Evil? It's been common fanfic fodder on SB-family sites recently, often in the form of having Tanya sent to a third life, or occasionally just a different world for her second.

The Heroic Chronicles of a Young Man, on the other hand, takes the MC's barely developed first life and sets it in the world of Boku no Hero Acadamia instead of not-WW1, with a quirk loosely matching Yojo Senki magic save for including the math ability as a required secondary power rather than needing an external computing device.

It makes for a fun, action-packed, and often dryly humorous superhero jaunt with the added virtue of being complete, the third, final, epilogue having been posted less than a day ago, though a editing pass has been promised along with a no-canon side story that puts career world-class superhero into the shoes of his canon issekai reincarnation. I like dit quite a bit.
--
‎noli esse culus
(08-05-2021, 03:40 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: I'm the Evil Lord of an Intergalactic Empire! is actually an original light novel rather than fanfic, and the link is to a google search rather than a specific archive site as there are multiple translations available for that matter, but it's a relatively unique take on the generic issekai format. The usual sword skills and magic (and MC's prodigious talent for it) are in effect, but the overall tone is actually more in line with classic space opera as the MC is left to take over management of a heavily indebted backwater territory (nominally an entire galaxy, but for practical purposes just the one planet) from an early age and is continually frustrated by how he has to fix the economy before there's anything there to squeeze dry, modernize the military and secure the region from raiders before he could embark on any campaigns of conquest, etc., and just generally by how his self interested and indulgent intent ends up making him look like an ideal lord and leaves both the higher officials in the imperial bureaucracy and the population at large singing his praises at every turn. (Enlightened self interest is really quite something!)

Just, skip the first chapter, as it's nothing but your bog standard miserable death after an unfortunate life with the only even slight twist being that the annoying chatty ROB is "secretly" (from the MC, it's made all too obvious to the reader) malicious. Seriously, the times it shows up again to ineffectually attempt diabolus ex machina plots are consistently the worst scenes. Skipping over them and applying a bit of the ol' perception filter to use in character justifications instead greatly raises the strength and quality of the narrative, though it is reasonably decent as it stands.

Interestingly, it appears that the popularity of MobuSeka has lead to an officual release of this one. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D977BGZ/ref...TF8&btkr=1
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
recently stumbled upon a Warhammer SI that was pretty good... I had reservations about anything set in that universe of suck, but this one was quite enjoyable!
Acolyte : https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...0k.811952/
with a sequel, Interrogator: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...0k.811952/
(12-30-2021, 07:28 PM)zojojojo Wrote: recently stumbled upon a Warhammer SI that was pretty good... I had reservations about anything set in that universe of suck, but this one was quite enjoyable!
Acolyte : https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...0k.811952/
with a sequel, Interrogator: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...0k.811952/

i have to suggest anything by Hiver in all honesty, he does well enough to have me reading his MLP:FiM story that he posts to SB
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Villain Notebook for the Future is pretty fun My Hero Academia fic that's just gotten started. The writing prompt that inspired it is a pretty good synopsis:

Quote:I had an idea for an in character Villain Deku story.

Izuku's personality remains the same but instead of heroes he is a villain otaku who believes in the narrative convention that a hero is defined by their villains.

So he decides to provide the heroes with a better class of villain to help the heroes improve.

His crimes would be challenges to heroes that seem dangerous on the outside but they're always set up so that no one would actually get hurt.

Kind of like if the Riddler didn't actually want to hurt anyone.

He's basically a smaller scale version of Megamind.
The odds were never in my favour by Antony444

Alexandra Potter has a few problems:
  • The Dursley family, enough said.
  • Her father is in Azkaban, charged with betraying the Longbottoms to Voldemort
  • Her mother is dead. (As far as she knows).
  • Her godfather having broken off that tie, leaving her guardian as:
  • Albus Dumbledore, who could kindly be called a blivet and less kindly, an active threat to Alexandra

Did I mention that the stigma heaped on James Potter is such that the Potter's wealth has largely been confiscated and Alexandra is held to bear the sins of her father to the point that she's faced with active attempts at murder within hours of reaching Hogwarts? Because that's a thing.

Still, it builds character, right? Alexandra will have a lot of character by the time she graduates. If she survives.
Let’s Go Steal A Protégé by Innytoes

A Leverage fanfic started before the sequel series was released.

It's from the point of view of a young street-kid who finds themselves adopted by the Crime Trio.  Lots of slice-of-life and found family fluff.  And crime, lots of crime.

MC is non-binary and Hardison/Parker/Elliot are (to quote the author) "Super-Married."

Quote:The first time Jamie met Parker, they weren’t even breaking into anything cool. They were breaking into a dumpster. And really, what kind of snooty asshole restaurant locked their dumpsters? But the pizza place with the unlocked dumpsters had chased them away with a broom and some pretty creatively violent threats, and they were not keen to test their luck to see if those threats were idle or not.

So there they were, phone balancing on the edge of the dumpster, using the stolen wifi from inside (and really, what the hell kind of a password was ‘AVeryDistinctivePassword’) to stream a youtube video on how to open a padlock with a safety pin. It was not at all as easy as the guy in the voice-over was making it seem, and they weren’t sure if it was because people on youtube were full of crap or because their fingers were freezing and they weren’t doing it right.
“Try jiggling it up a little more,” a voice from above them said.

The tiny flailing ‘gah’ they shouted out was entirely justified, in Jamie’s opinion. Because when they looked up, there was a whole-ass woman, clad in black, hanging off the side of the building in some kind of climbing harness. She was holding onto a rope, just casually dangling there, one toe perched against the building like it was nothing.
You know all those Naruto fics where some issekai SI is someone's (usually Naruto or Sasuke) twin? Well this time it's Sansa Stark. Even with only a vague grasp of ASoIaF from a handful of fanfics, I anticipate many shenanigans to ensue.

Whirlpool Queen, Maelstrom King (AO3 index link)

Contains ASoIaF-level violence & gore, starting right off with Kushina giving herself a field-expedient Cesarean Section when one of her twins isn't being born as fast as her body is dying with the ninetails removed. the author's notes also say it's not going to be friendly for Deanerys or Jon fans, so...
--
‎noli esse culus
https://archiveofourown.org/works/32976541 A Helping Hand
Quote:Amy once told Jack that the only ones who paid attention to her were Tattletale and Skitter. And Skitter, Taylor, did once want to save her. What if she followed through at Amy's most critical moment? What if, when Amy was at her lowest and ready to break...she reached out that helping hand?
I am very surprised to be reccomending The Confectionary Chronicles (AO3 link) given that it starts with Supernatural, which I usually treat as a no-go red flag on its own, and adds in openly involving RL religions. Then it crosses them with a Hermione Sue potterfic, which I can usually stand only in small doses, while the entire first fic, 180k words in forty eight chapters and an epilogue, is entirely devoted to Hermione having the sort of pre-Hogwarts life Harry is supposed to have had by the Wizarding public at large, ending the night before she heads off to the Hogwarts Express.

And yet.

And yet, this is in no way one of my "I can't believe I liked it anyway when it's so bad" entries. More "I can't believe it's so much fun and avoids or recontextualizes so many of the other old cliches" if anything - it takes heavily of the background cosmology of Supernatural, weaves in a little straight mythology, and then blends it in with a kid-heroine's journey from the end of her world to probably gonna be okay, with only minor brushes against the rest of the Potter or Supernatural source material beyond the setting itself for the most part.

The Winchester brothers in particular only appear in one or two chapters plus the epilogue, primarily to give a reference point for where that side of the setting timeline sits as far as I can tell since they are significantly younger than Hermione and her Potterverse cohort. HP characters do show up with increasing frequency, for obvious reasons, but in ways that develop naturally from story events and the inevitable eleventh birthday visit from McGonagall. Even better, the only technical error that occurs often enough to be memorable is a few instances of "been" for "being," which may just be a matter of regional slang on the author's part as I've certainly heard it used that way before.

Then the second, in-progress as of Aug 2021, part picks up the next morning, raises a bunch more fandom cliche flags, and proceeds to make a merry bonfire of those as well with 96k in another twentymumble chapters that still only get to the christamas holidays but do so in such a way that I can only rage about the fic probably having died off with that long a gap - the only thing I've said here that you should take as a possible wave-off, because the prospect of not having more is sad indeed.

Taken as a whole, I'd have to say that it's rehabilitated Supernatural as a setting element from "automatic hard pass" to "start with two strikes" for me, which itself is strong praise for the fic, given that my general opinion of the franchise duels with Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey for who can seep deeper into the bottom of the barrel. And that barrel is on the back of a honey-pumper.

Anyway, give it a fair shake, it takes the old standards out for a new spin in some very engaging ways, and if anything I've talked it down rather than up.

Official summary:

Hermione Granger is seven years old when she kneels in front of an altar she's made herself with an offering of the best sweets her pocket money could buy and prays to a Trickster God.

Gabriel hears.
--
‎noli esse culus
Just a silly old (2014?!?) one-shot that got a bit of a laugh out of me.  I figured I'd spread the joy.

Way of the Eagle
Clint introduces Steve to kung-fu movies. Things escalate quickly.  (Avengers MCU)  Link to AO3
One that I kinda helped inspire the writer on. A Worm one-short with a trans!Lung.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...ot.998811/
The Body Shop is a novel-length (currently ~71k with one complete arc and a couple of setup chapters that are also functional as epilogues if it doesn't continue) AU Worm-fic, where Taylor's power is (apparently) a super-drug Tinker, and Amy got kicked out of the house after getting too drunk at a party and having a fight with Carol over the 2010 christmas holidays.

The specifics of the latter are not yet entirely detailed, but various flashbacks and dialogue have sketched the outline after the in medias res opening, where Amy is a mostly-happy stoner a few months later, sharing a Tinker lab with Taylor as they make interesting designer drugs and temporary power potions and occasionally cure a bunch of rich old farts' cancer or rewind them five or ten years physically if they want an extra couple million that week. Issues with this lifestyle are the bulk of the plot, but it generally keeps a light tone, and was a fun read despite my own teetotaler habits in that regard. There's mention of battle-wounds and sex happening, but it's kept off screen so T rated at most.

AO3 link
QQ link - all the chapters are the same, but also has an omake not found on AO3 (It is in the SFW Fiction forum, but it's still QQ, so be advised)
--
‎noli esse culus
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...t-82999172
Chains Unbroken - part 3 of “Hiver gets tossed into the Sith Empire and tries to survive with his tattered morals and what’s left of his conscience”…
Part 1: Links in the Chain https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...t-51778259
Part 2: Breaking the Links https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...sw.920157/