Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Fanfic Recommendations Go Hawaiian
RE: Fanfic Recommendations Go Hawaiian
While linking our own writing is not usually the done thing, I have a smutlet on QQ that's caught quite a few likes in the past day and a half, and a solid "well written" in comments. If you're good with a lesbian threesome and it's not illegal to read about entirely fictional minors getting it on in your area (IIRC that means steer clear in Canada and at least some of Europe but the US and most of asia is okay, dunno about elsewhere) maybe give it a try?

https://forum.questionablequesting.com/posts/4580755
--
‎noli esse culus
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/th...-au.92545/ (Worm)

Eden wakes up, takes a look at the utter clusterfuck Scion has made of a ten thousand year cycle in only twenty years, and starts to fix it. And mentally swear a lot. And freak out everyone she meets. And keep cursing that IDIOT.
Shattered Chains of Fate by Lore55 is a Fate/Grand Order and Bleach fusion, which spends parts of each chapter flashing back to Ichigohaving taken the player's role in FGO and the present in earlyish Bleach - the first arc is mostly glossed over as being roughjly the same as canon except for Ichigo having prior experience with swordplay and battle tactics, but things start to pick up with the Rukia rescue. Unfortunately it hasn't updated since January, where previously it was coming out once or twice a month, which bodes ill for its continued health.

It has some ambiguously implied gay for Ichigo and various FGO characters, and occasional (some recurring) grammar errors or homophone mixups, with the first chapter being noteably worse in that last, so if those will spoil your experience go ahead and give it a miss, but otherwise it's quite engaging for what there is of it, and I've seen fics revive from longer gaps. If nothing else, it's a combination I haven't seen before, and makes use of FGO's alternate timelines to do a thing I won't spoil but which I really, really loved when it was revealed. If you don't mind the spoiler or don't want to read it just for that, there's a spoiler for peace of mind.

AO3 chapter index link:
https://archiveofourown.org/works/23759821/navigate
--
‎noli esse culus
I have been reading this one the past few weeks.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/198654...s/47045731

The Forest of Dean

A Harry Potter fic that starts after Ron leaves the group, and then goes AU and progressively darker, with Dumbledore’s plan going off the rails immediately. Delves into how the war affects both Harry and Hermione, the Order, their friends trapped at Hogwarts and the price that they have to pay to survive and bring the end of Voldemort.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
I'm the Evil Lord of an Intergalactic Empire! is actually an original light novel rather than fanfic, and the link is to a google search rather than a specific archive site as there are multiple translations available for that matter, but it's a relatively unique take on the generic issekai format. The usual sword skills and magic (and MC's prodigious talent for it) are in effect, but the overall tone is actually more in line with classic space opera as the MC is left to take over management of a heavily indebted backwater territory (nominally an entire galaxy, but for practical purposes just the one planet) from an early age and is continually frustrated by how he has to fix the economy before there's anything there to squeeze dry, modernize the military and secure the region from raiders before he could embark on any campaigns of conquest, etc., and just generally by how his self interested and indulgent intent ends up making him look like an ideal lord and leaves both the higher officials in the imperial bureaucracy and the population at large singing his praises at every turn. (Enlightened self interest is really quite something!)

Just, skip the first chapter, as it's nothing but your bog standard miserable death after an unfortunate life with the only even slight twist being that the annoying chatty ROB is "secretly" (from the MC, it's made all too obvious to the reader) malicious. Seriously, the times it shows up again to ineffectually attempt diabolus ex machina plots are consistently the worst scenes. Skipping over them and applying a bit of the ol' perception filter to use in character justifications instead greatly raises the strength and quality of the narrative, though it is reasonably decent as it stands.
--
‎noli esse culus
I've been listening to that series lately (text to speech vids are on youtube - I don't recommend the quality to the point of calling it an audiobook, but it's sufficient for me) and enjoying it.

If the style appeals, the author is the same as that of Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games Is Tough for Mobs, which is one of my two favorite Otome deconstructions.
If you prefer the manga, MobuSeka is available on Mangadex.

https://mangadex.org/title/28c77530-dfa1...8960ba24d4

Seven Seas Entertainment is publishing the official English language version of the manga. The digital copy of Volume 1 was out in July, but their deadtree format only started selling a few days ago. Volume 2? Not until sometime this October. Too slow for my liking.

Rest assured, if they bother with the take-down notice, Mangadex will comply. Until then, you can try before you buy.
Evil Lord of an Intergalactic Empire also has a manga, though only a few chapters out. And my usual site is down right now so I don't have a convenient link.
Hijinks! Getcher hijinks! I got fifteen t'ousand woids o' FF7 hijinks heah!

On Gaia, every culture has a slightly different interpretation of what Soulmarks mean. Some say they promise romance, some family, some friendship, and some nothing at all. But if there’s one thing nearly everyone agrees on, it’s that these marks are of the gods. Only in Nibelheim do they ever seem to put a name to which god bestowed the Marks upon humanity. Their answer?

Loki

Cloud, who has the names of four SOLDIERs written on his arms, would very much have appreciated knowing that everyone else takes Loki's mischief seriously before he got to Midgar.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/33181453

A wonderful little one shot (with promised sequels) for everyone who always thought the premise of those soul-mark fics was somewhere between squicky and ridiculous. Cloud most certainly agrees.

See also "Hey asshole!" by the same author. It's also an (unrelated) FF7 fic, but this time with a time-traveling Cloud taking the most direct route to fixing the problems kicked off by the First Class SOLDIERs (Sephiroth, Genesis, and Angeal) going all crazy-pants, and what happens as a result.
--
‎noli esse culus
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/th...mha.93725/

"Our Retirement Academia" (Worm/MHA)

Years after Gold Morning, Taylor has settled down onto MHA-Earth, and is now opening a cafe a couple of blocks away from UA. Along with her wife, Sophia. They have some interesting conversations with their customers.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
I've mentioned previously my preference for physical time travel over the more common mental imprint style, for a number of reasons from ethical to structural, and Methos2523's Double Back is a decently executed example of the premise, aside from a few persistent word choice errors (characters doing things "idly" where it should be "absently," and ... I forget now if it's "luscious" or "luxurious" but when you see it you'll know it was intended as "lascivious" (grin or wink or whatever.)

HP, presently 268k words, starts with a post-canon-minus-epilogue Harry dropped into mid-June 1991. By September, the stations of canon are dust in the wind. It's rather harsh on Albus, Ron, and Molly, but within the bounds of reason and elder-Harry's experience with an extra decade of frustration at seeing how meaningless all the pain and sacrifice ended up being as far as improving the overall attitudes of wizard society that fostered the problems underlying Voldemort's campaign. I'm only about 2/3 of the way through at the moment, but impressed enough with what I've seen so far to add the recommendation.

I don't have a non-FFn link, but haven't looked very hard yet either. If anyone knows another site it's hosted on, by all means speak up.
--
‎noli esse culus
(08-19-2021, 10:01 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: I've mentioned previously my preference for physical time travel over the more common mental imprint style, for a number of reasons from ethical to structural, and Methos2523's Double Back is a decently executed example of the premise, aside from a few persistent word choice errors (characters doing things "idly" where it should be "absently," and ... I forget now if it's "luscious" or "luxurious" but when you see it you'll know it was intended as "lascivious" (grin or wink or whatever.)

HP, presently 268k words, starts with a post-canon-minus-epilogue Harry dropped into mid-June 1991. By September, the stations of canon are dust in the wind. It's rather harsh on Albus, Ron, and Molly, but within the bounds of reason and elder-Harry's experience with an extra decade of frustration at seeing how meaningless all the pain and sacrifice ended up being as far as improving the overall attitudes of wizard society that fostered the problems underlying Voldemort's campaign. I'm only about 2/3 of the way through at the moment, but impressed enough with what I've seen so far to add the recommendation.

I don't have a non-FFn link, but haven't looked very hard yet either. If anyone knows another site it's hosted on, by all means speak up.

I'm only up to chapter 4 in this one, and it's obvious that the writer has never read The Big List of Booboos and Blunders... but if you can get past that, it's a decent read. So far.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Draconian Mishap by WaskeHD (AO3 link)

Still desperately searching for some way to make surviving facing a dragon in the First Task of the Tri-Wizard Tournament the next morning more likely, Harry stumbles across an old ritual in a book from the Restricted Section that seems like it's tailor made for the purpose. Well, he thinks so any way, the language is archaic where it's not outright mangled Latin, but he wants to get at least a little sleep before the event so he just goes and does it. As with many things that seem like a good idea at 2 am with an onrushing deadline, hijinks ensue.

This one is rather cracky, but the premise is not implausible, and it proceeds in a logical way from there. Also suffused with warm and floaty feelings, like a good dip in the caldera of an active volcano.
--
‎noli esse culus
At Least I'm Not Cliffjumper (Transformers mashup universe SI)

Waking up as Airachnid is bad.

Knowing that you've got a target on your head from the good guys is worse.

Discovering that whatever Slagging universe you're in draws from the entire Transformers franchise, well, it's terrifying.

Follow the Spider Seeker as she discovers who she is while finding surprises around every corner... And mental trauma for everyone; can't forget that.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...se.957771/
Oh, I am all over that - good quality Transformers material is rarer than a sane Decepticon combiner. I will note that it may be confusing if you're not familiar with the specific versions of TF lore being used as little is explained, but most of that should still be followable from context. About the only things that should probably be laid out ahead of time is that rather than their usual generic definitions, "femme" and "mech" refer specifically to feminine and masculine Cybertronians here, like "woman" and "man" for humans with "bot" as the generic, and "their" is as common as a pronoun as gendered ones even for characters who are clearly presented as one or the other.
--
‎noli esse culus
Not sure of your definition of good quality Transformers material, but there are six chapters of a Transformers/Girl Genius crossover on AO3 called Invasion of the Giant Clanks from Another World:
https://archiveofourown.org/works/211994...s/50464568

Summary: Millions of years ago, a vessel sailed across the stars and, due to the fighting aboard it, crashed upon a humble planet. Time and volcanic activity covered it up. Many years later, a dead volcano is merely the plaything of a Spark in Europa. An ordinary demonstration awakens the volcano, and more besides!
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
Eh, well, aside from the usual standards of writing quality, it's hard to explain in any concise way, due to just how wide-ranging the TF franchise as a whole is (It's almost more of a genre at this point, would be if not for still being in trademark, like Arthurian fiction or Issekai) and how variable the appeal of each segment is to personal taste, but I'll certainly give it a look. Thanks!
--
‎noli esse culus
Violettas introduction to the story was the point I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the writer GETS the characters Smile
AlphaRaposa Wrote:The giant cat strolled across the panel, small squares lighting up where the clank stepped

Quote:pretty much everything that happens in this story is, in some small way, Starscream’s fault

OP clearly has a good handle on the TF characters as well. This is top grade stuff.
--
‎noli esse culus
the In Which Series is a Star Wars physical time travel fic, in which Luke and Vader are pulled in an unexplained way from sometime after Han is rescued from Jabba's Palace but before Luke returns to Dagobah to the middle of the Clone Wars, and have decided to team up and ruin Sidius' day all day erry day, any way erry way. In this they are as effective as you might expect when a primary protagonist and antagonist discover that their goals are perfectly aligned and they can put all their attention on a mutual project.

Generally, happy endings abound - even the battle droids collectively get a decent approximation of a happy ending, if handled off screen and only mentioned by various characters - with a few rare exceptions at key moments of drama, and for various villains whose sticky endings are part of more deserving sorts' happy endings.

That doesn't mean there aren't a couple of gut punches mixed in, but the overall tone is positive. It may well have been recommended before; some parts seemed familiar while I was reading it, but if so it was either quite a while back or, you know, a day or two and I just forgot I got the link from here in the first place Tongue

AO3 link to the first (of two) stories.
--
‎noli esse culus
https://archiveofourown.org/works/297275...s/73114425

The Startling Secret Identity of The Batman!

Buzzfeed: Unsolved tackles the case of Batmans secret identity. The Batfam reacts.
Oh, that is hilarious.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
because I had no idea what a "floral romper" might look like:

[Image: 0L1Yhw5.jpg]

The butt never lies!
--
‎noli esse culus
That story is a masterpiece.
SEZ
BZG
Ellen Brand has rolled out the first chapter of the latest of her Godzilla the Series/Buffy crossover series. (Other stories have included The Real Ghostbusters)
https://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-33696/El...+Teeth.htm
-Now available with copious trivia!