Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
Hurrah! It works!

Basically all you need to do is upload the video to the wiki and mark it up in a page like an image:

[[File:Rip_Van_Winkle_(1903).webm]]

The extension does the rest.

We'll still need to embed YouTube videos the same way we have for the past few years, though, unless you download them and upload them to the wiki.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I remember the extension EmbedVideo for the likes of YouTube has been on the no list meta-wise because of undisclosed security reasons, they might say yes now though due to the difference in MediaWiki version.
(10-16-2019, 05:28 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Hurrah!  It works!

Basically all you need to do is upload the video to the wiki and mark it up in a page like an image: 

[[File:Rip_Van_Winkle_(1903).webm]] 

The extension does the rest.

We'll still need to embed YouTube videos the same way we have for the past few years, though, unless you download them and upload them to the wiki.

Of course, now we need to find all these movies that we have pages for. Smile

So far, I've found The General, the 1925 version of Ben-Hur, the 1924 version of The Thief of Bagdad... a lot of good stuff that we didn't link to before today.

EDIT: And I'm adding this to the respective Work pages to show off the fact that we have the movies:
Quote:Watch it [[{{PAGENAME}}/Source|here, on this very wiki.]]
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
And here's what a WEBM looks like in a frame on the main work page.

The page needed an image; why not give it the complete set? Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Because it's finally off the ground, here's DocColress stripped down ATT with blackjack and hookers.

https://the-true-tropes.fandom.com/wiki/...kiActivity

Wikia balked at a full fork for SEO and technical reasons, so Doc is either going to get a stripped down fork database import in a few days or is going use Special:Export on either branch of ATT to get the pages he needs for his little fork project. That satisfies copyright and preserves history of contributions, so more power to him if you ask me.
(10-16-2019, 09:03 PM)robkelk Wrote: And here's what a WEBM looks like in a frame on the main work page.

I feel like that should be moved to the Source subpage, and just use a still image for the main page; personally. Might just be me wanting to beef up content pages, but it's important to have some structure.

Also to LT per YT:

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Battleship_Potemkin

You can embed already, just with divs; not cleanly, but still
Actually the original YT clip is blocked in some countries, porting the wikimedia version to source and deleting
Oh man, I like blackjack and hookers but that wiki looks boring.

By the way, Miraheze really cranked down the limit for deleting -- on WMF wikis you can delete with 5000 edits still. So we either need to crank that limit up, or I need to figure out a way to assign bigdelete privileges to someone without using ManageWiki (it's blacklisted).
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(10-16-2019, 09:03 PM)robkelk Wrote: And here's what a WEBM looks like in a frame on the main work page.

Hey, it's what I've been doing for years with short films on YouTube, like The Wizard of Speed and Time and the Dawn of Flight Failures Montage.  So you have plenty of precedent.

Lulz, gotta say that putting films on the Source subpage -- especially short films -- rubs me the wrong way. It seems to me almost like hiding them away from easy access. Plus, source to me means "text".

EDIT: Plus hiding videos away on their own page kind of also hides one of the things we can do that TVT can't. Why not embed video right on the main pages? So, sorry, Lulz, can't say I like the change to Bettleship Potemkin at all. It's like trying to pretend we're TVT.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(10-16-2019, 10:12 PM)GethN7 Wrote: Because it's finally off the ground, here's DocColress stripped down ATT with blackjack and hookers.

https://the-true-tropes.fandom.com/wiki/...kiActivity
I do hope that somebody tells him that complaining about the people he walked away from isn't very professional.

I also hope that somebody tells him that he's welcome to say anything that he can defend in court about people that he doesn't like.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-17-2019, 07:14 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: EDIT:  Plus hiding videos away on their own page kind of also hides one of the things we can do that TVT can't.  Why not embed video right on the main pages?
Well, if the video is so big that it would hide the article text, or if we already had an image on the page...

While typing that, I realized that "thumb" should work on videos just as well as it works on still images. Does it? (I have to head out right now, so I can't experiment.) If it does, then "so big that it would hide the article text" isn't a concern.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Seems to me he should call it the Run-On Sentences Wiki.
-- Bob

(10-17-2019, 07:23 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 07:14 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: EDIT:  Plus hiding videos away on their own page kind of also hides one of the things we can do that TVT can't.  Why not embed video right on the main pages?
Well, if the video is so big that it would hide the article text, or if we already had an image on the page...

While typing that, I realized that "thumb" should work on videos just as well as it works on still images. Does it? (I have to head out right now, so I can't experiment.) If it does, then "so big that it would hide the article text" isn't a concern.

According to the man page for TimedMediaHandler, the "thumb" parm will "Show a video in a floating thumbnail box".  No indication of the size.  There's also "thumbtime=1:25", which will "Use a frame from 1 minute 25 seconds into the video as the placeholder image."
-- Bob

(10-17-2019, 07:14 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

Hey, it's what I've been doing for years with short films on YouTube, like The Wizard of Speed and Time and the Dawn of Flight Failures Montage.  So you have plenty of precedent.

Lulz, gotta say that putting films on the Source subpage -- especially short films -- rubs me the wrong way.  It seems to me almost like hiding them away from easy access.  Plus, source to me means "text". 

EDIT:  Plus hiding videos away on their own page kind of also hides one of the things we can do that TVT can't.  Why not embed video right on the main pages?  So, sorry, Lulz, can't say I like the change to Bettleship Potemkin at all.  It's like trying to pretend we're TVT.
We are a multimedia wiki, therefore source does not have to mean text. Especially since the definition of source can be "a firsthand document or primary reference work", a primary reference work can easily be video footage aka a film.

The easy access argument could easily be used against any other subpage, and therefore not something I can really follow, also it's one click. When I first encountered TVT, I would often be scrolling through the entirety of a page, which others also did out of curiosity. If we really want to make it easier, we can just force per style guide that we link in the main body text to the source subpage.

I don't really have problems with videos on the main page, but putting videos on the source subpage is perfectly acceptable, and something that should remain.
Guys... ATT:1WAY

If it makes sense for the video to be on the work page, put it there. If it makes sense for the video to be on a Source subpage, put it there.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We just had a contribution (from IP 2600:1:910d:30dd:a544:40a6:c074:4346) with the tell-tale edit description of "added content". Looks like our ban evader is back.

<unlimbers mole-whacking hammer>
-- Bob

(10-17-2019, 08:32 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: We just had a contribution (from IP 2600:1:910d:30dd:a544:40a6:c074:4346) with the tell-tale edit description of "added content".  Looks like our ban evader is back.

<unlimbers mole-whacking hammer>

just dealt with same 2605:a000:1135:e185:39ec:f291:196c:bfa9; why they won't just create an account is saddening
Just an update from out spinoff brethren The True Trope Wiki

The rather shade throwing front page has been overhauled, and with some partial help from me (I gave them a stripped down version of ATT Wikia's front page layout), they now talk a lot less shit about us, their front page merely stating they believe as a matter a principle it was wrong to restrict discussion of certain tropes and thus wish to retain such discussion we cut due to us not budging on the topic, which they respect but feel was to our detriment.

Compared to barely restrained arch commentary they had before, that's fair enough, and since they now exclusively cover the Complete Monster trope discussions we elected to cut, I'd like to suggest we add courtesy links on our page for the trope redirecting people who wish to post examples to visit them to do so.
if it deters vandals, sure
(10-22-2019, 04:12 PM)GethN7 Wrote: Compared to barely restrained arch commentary they had before, that's fair enough, and since they now exclusively cover the Complete Monster trope discussions we elected to cut, I'd like to suggest we add courtesy links on our page for the trope redirecting people who wish to post examples to visit them to do so.
No objections here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
what's the policy on IPs/users using Miraheze to appeal Wikia/Fandom bans?
(10-22-2019, 08:31 PM)LulzKiller Wrote: what's the policy on IPs/users using Miraheze to appeal Wikia/Fandom bans?

I know exactly who that is. They were banned from TV Tropes and were doing blatant copypasta crap, and then they tried running to the next wiki to copy-paste things. Ignore and block them.
Looks like ATT is down with 503s... and the rest of Miraheze is down with certificate errors. Fun times.
503s all around, now.

EDIT, an hour later: Down for Everyone or Just Me says Miraheze.org is down.

I'm guessing that the upgrade they announced earlier today either is still taking place or went horridly wrong...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Back up now.

Paladox Wrote:Yeh we had cert issues, then db issues

then lizard went down, but that was apparently planned maintence from ramnode

Now that Ramnode has drained the lizard, everything should be fine.