Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
What is lizard?
Also, when do we start IPV6 range banning every IP beginning with 2600?
LizardFS file storage, see also https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Tech:Server_usage

2600, sounds like a hacker to me.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I wonder how many people I just annoyed by turning "BFG" and "BFS" into disambiguation pages.

But, hey, I needed someplace to put that BFGuitar photo, and Bowling for Soup needed more love... Smile

More seriously, I really don't like TLAs (or any abbreviations) as trope page names. Hence all those disambiguation pages I've been making.

Oh, and I just made Category:TLA
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I was surprised by it, but honestly, it's been needed. Thank you for going through all the effort.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
i'm more surprised we didn't have an addams family page, or did TVT pre-2012
Huh? We've got so many of those that we have a disambiguation page for them.

EDIT: I see Bob just made that disambiguation page... but the pages it points to, we've had for a while.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, I just finished creating separate pages for both movies (AFV pointed back at the tv show) and the musical. Another day when I have more energy I will attempt the cartoons and the 1977 TV movie...

(And I created the original page for the TV show back on TVT; in the years since it and its subpages became the repository of all things Addams for those too lazy or stupid to create new work pages.)

EDIT: Oh, and i came here to mention a half-hour long 503 incident that only ended a little while ago, and to ask what happened on the 23rd that Miraheze actually had to tweet about it?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Good Lord... Is the Disability Rights Movement, or any form of accommodating disabled people so that they can live a reasonably normal life, really so rare in fiction that it's Too Rare to Trope? In 2019?

There's nothing listed in Category:Disability Tropes for this.

There's plenty on getting rid of disabilities (mostly by completely unrealistic methods), using disabilities as points of humour, or killing off disabled characters... but is there really no trope about treating disabled people as (relatively) equal people who just need a bit of help?

Please tell me I'm missing something obvious and there's a trope that I've overlooked.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Does anybody know what we're calling the trope that the rest of the world calls "Grievous Bodily Harm"?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-26-2019, 04:13 PM)robkelk Wrote: Does anybody know what we're calling the trope that the rest of the world calls "Grievous Bodily Harm"?

FIVE OH FREE FIVE OH FREE FIVE OH FREE FIVE OH FREE

From what I gather, we like to split many different attacks up, from what would legally considered such.

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Eye_Poke

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Boob_Bite

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Jaw_Breaker

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Groin_Attack

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/How_Many_Fingers%3F

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Tear_Off_Your_Face

If any of those don't satisfy you, i'll just link you to the supertrope, and you can make your judgement: 

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Category:Injury_Tropes
Quote:Warning: The database has been locked for maintenance, so you will not be able to save your edits right now. You may wish to copy and paste your text into a text file and save it for later.

The system administrator who locked it offered this explanation: 1

"1" is a number, not an explanation.

EDIT: We can save changes again.

As for which trope to use, I chose "all of them" - I pointed the link at Category:Injury Tropes
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I can offer the explanation of the reason given:

1 is the amount of hours the system administrator has actually done his job this month.
We have two images where one would do. Which one do we want to keep: the smaller colour version or the larger black-and-white version?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
the black and white one does have a better description
(10-25-2019, 09:22 PM)robkelk Wrote: I wonder how many people I just annoyed by turning "BFG" and "BFS" into disambiguation pages.

But, hey, I needed someplace to put that BFGuitar photo, and Bowling for Soup needed more love... Smile

More seriously, I really don't like TLAs (or any abbreviations) as trope page names. Hence all those disambiguation pages I've been making.

Oh, and I just made Category:TLA

Been working on cleaning up the TLAs all weekend. Still have two-dozen or so to go... and I expect that I won't completely clear that list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
In Les Mis, if I come across a "book" with one chapter, should I do an index for consistency, or just make the book page that chapter, with the explanatory note?
IMHO, consistency is good. We have room for pages with only one entry.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We're trying out a new hosting service, OVH. The first thing we're trying out is a replacement for all of our lizardfs servers, with more storage space, no SSD but RAID 1 for a full 2 TB, and 32 GB RAM. This is kind of overkill for file storage (images, etc), but it's a dedicated server we don't have to share with anyone. But it does cost $40/month more than our previous 6 virtual servers, a little more than doubling.

However if this works out to be more performant and we generally like them, then we will also move the DB servers over there too. That would move to an even more beefy server, which would run either $30 less, or about the same depending on how much we want to overbuild.

The point here is that small a small VPS is a good idea if your service is pretty small, or if you needs change a lot -- adding capacity is easy. But it's looking like dedicated servers are the way to go if you actually need the capacity, and you know what you need on a regular basis. (Another alternative is serverless, but let's not even talk about that for a long established PHP application.)

All of this is to say Miraheze would appreciate your money, as we are trying to slay 503s.
(10-30-2019, 01:03 AM)Labster Wrote: We're trying out a new hosting service, OVH.  The first thing we're trying out is a replacement for all of our lizardfs servers, with more storage space, no SSD but RAID 1 for a full 2 TB, and 32 GB RAM.  This is kind of overkill for file storage (images, etc), but it's a dedicated server we don't have to share with anyone.  But it does cost $40/month more than our previous 6 virtual servers, a little more than doubling.

However if this works out to be more performant and we generally like them, then we will also move the DB servers over there too.  That would move to an even more beefy server, which would run either $30 less, or about the same depending on how much we want to overbuild.

The point here is that small a small VPS is a good idea if your service is pretty small, or if you needs change a lot -- adding capacity is easy.  But it's looking like dedicated servers are the way to go if you actually need the capacity, and you know what you need on a regular basis.  (Another alternative is serverless, but let's not even talk about that for a long established PHP application.)

All of this is to say Miraheze would appreciate your money, as we are trying to slay 503s.

I'd drop some dough in the hat if it means more uptime, and if posting a donate link to do so is needed, I'd like to propose we be willing to do so if required.
(10-30-2019, 01:03 AM)Labster Wrote: We're trying out a new hosting service, OVH.  The first thing we're trying out is a replacement for all of our lizardfs servers, with more storage space, no SSD but RAID 1 for a full 2 TB, and 32 GB RAM.  This is kind of overkill for file storage (images, etc), but it's a dedicated server we don't have to share with anyone.

Is that 2 TB for All The Tropes, or 2 TB for all of Miraheze?

If it's the latter, I could fill that space easily - all I have to do is ask for ".zip" to be made a valid upload format on the freebie wiki.

(10-30-2019, 01:03 AM)Labster Wrote: All of this is to say Miraheze would appreciate your money, as we are trying to slay 503s.

If I do ask for ".zip" to be made a valid upload format on the freebie wiki, I will of course increase my donations.

EDIT: This might help. (fingers crossed)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Haha, 2 TB for everyone. Yes, I know, but we're really not that kind of service.
i'm getting 503s still, even with this new service
They put up a notice about installing a new security certificate at 01:30 UTC, which was just before the 503s started.

How long does it take for a new certificate to sync up with the proxy server?

EDIT: Half an hour, apparently.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We're not on the new service yet, I think files are still copying over.