Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
I actually think you've been a little off balance since we lost Epsilon to the Martian Death Flu.  DocColress is still trying to make himself out to be the victim in order to bolster his case, which means he has to accuse someone of ALLCAPS "attacking me and erasing all my efforts to start a CIVIL discourse".  I had meant to point out that he was playing the victim too, but I didn't think he would take it all that well.

Either way, outbursts like Doc's last one show weakness, not strength, and responding to it also shows weakness.  Rob, at this point you've already won, any efforts you make now can only serve to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  DocColress has already lost, and he still hasn't realized it, and thus is digging himself in deeper.  Talking his way out of a mess is way above his skill level; the appropriate strategy for him would be "fail fast".
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Added a phab request to remove friend/foe functionality of SocialProfile after discussions/approval with Geth. Removes any kind of middle school drama issues.
(09-08-2019, 08:23 PM)LulzKiller Wrote: Added a phab request to remove friend/foe functionality of SocialProfile after discussions/approval with Geth. Removes any kind of middle school drama issues.

It's a feature that has been little used to this point and has been used in ways that are just encouraging spitefulness, so I backed this request. It may also reduce any technical issues with SP due to less data the database has to keep current from said feature.
Agreed. As I said at the time, why do we even have that button?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Yeah, nuking it is a good idea. I've routinely ignored "foe" requests as being inherently stupid and I already know who my friends are.

On the previous topic, by the time our friends left yesterday (at 5 in the afternoon), the entire affair with DocC had pretty much shaken itself out. While I was able to monitor it, I had no time to think about and respond to what was happening -- and honestly, that was probably for the best; I'd've likely just exacerbated things.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(09-08-2019, 03:54 PM)Labster Wrote: I actually think you've been a little off balance since we lost Epsilon to the Martian Death Flu.
I've been pondering that all night... and I think you're right.

Folks, please point out when I'm not myself - both here and on the wikis.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-06-2019, 06:10 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(09-06-2019, 07:27 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Only a couple at a time, but yeah.
Let's start with an egregious example: Static Electricity. The description is currently two sentences long, the first of which is an Example as a Thesis.
Have another two-sentence-description trope: Round Bushy Hair.

And it has Category:Anime Hair but zero Anime examples. Actually, this one needs more tropes overall.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've seen that one multiple times over the past few weeks, and it's basically an artistic style issue... I don't see how it's really a trope. (Although I'm willing to accept Hartman Hips as a trope, which is just as much a style thing, so I suppose I should be consistent.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Should we be bothered that DocColress continues to snark behind our backs about how our approach is markedly inferior to his?
-- Bob

We got a response back from Reception123 per SocialProfile.

"It appears that that's not currently possible with the current options that SocialProfile offers. Will create an upstream task."
This is the phabricator task where everyone can update themselves on the SocialProfile upstream task that Reception has created.

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T232371
Argh. I know we have this, but I can't remember what it's called and my attempts to find it through various indices have failed. What do we call a kind of inner fourth-wall breaking seen in comic strips (and certain Looney Tunes cartoons) where actions in one frame directly affect one of the other frames? We have an image in this post in the current Images thread that's a perfect example.
-- Bob

(09-09-2019, 11:55 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Should we be bothered that DocColress continues to snark behind our backs about how our approach is markedly inferior to his?

I don't see that as being particularly snarky... and he isn't a mod at the moment, so he isn't currently bound by the Policy for Wiki Staff.

On the other hand, it doesn't show that he's particularly willing to act in what I personally consider to be a manner becoming a mod.

(09-09-2019, 03:52 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Argh.  I know we have this, but I can't remember what it's called and my attempts to find it through various indices have failed.  What do we call a kind of inner fourth-wall breaking seen in comic strips (and certain Looney Tunes cartoons) where actions in one frame directly affect one of the other frames?  We have an image in this post in the current Images thread that's a perfect example.

Oh, I just saw something like that today, but I didn't edit the page so it isn't on Recent Changes. ...(goes and looks)... No Inner Fourth Wall isn't quite it. ...(looks some more)... The Garfield example on this page hints that the standard "Breaking the Fourth Wall" trope might be what you want.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<sigh> I'm getting close to semi-protecting Little Boy Seeks Big Girl‎ to restrict editing to logged-in users. We have a very enthusiastic but borderline-illiterate anonymous contributor who has been making dozens of changes to it without concern for markup, punctuation, grammar or whether the example is better suited to (or already on) a page like Precocious Crush -- and has intentionally undone corrections made to his contributions believing them to be typos. He's also been ignoring both messages on his IP's talk page and in-line comments on the page trying to get his attention. I don't want to ban him, but I do want to get his attention, and I think this might be the best way to do so. If no one objects I'll do so sometime this evening.
-- Bob

He's made another edit since, i've blocked him for 12 hours except talk page/account creation (incentivizes him to create an account), so we'll see if that helps bring things to a conclusion.
Miraheze are beginning to define a new username policy via an RFC, I think for obvious reasons our input is warranted.

https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Requests_...policy_(2)
Quote:i've blocked him for 12 hours except talk page/account creation (incentivizes him to create an account)
In that case, I'll semiprotect the page to add to the incentive.
-- Bob

(09-09-2019, 03:52 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Argh.  I know we have this, but I can't remember what it's called and my attempts to find it through various indices have failed.  What do we call a kind of inner fourth-wall breaking seen in comic strips (and certain Looney Tunes cartoons) where actions in one frame directly affect one of the other frames?  We have an image in this post in the current Images thread that's a perfect example.
another example for you:
https://tapas.io/episode/1377152
Hurray for Snuffy Smith! It's been published for a century (as of July), which means every category in the new set of Newspaper Comics by decade has at least one entry. ("Newspaper Comics of the 1900s‎" gets Little Nemo as its starter entry.)

EDIT: And between Captain Video, I Love Lucy, and 60 Minutes, every category in the even-newer set of Live-Action TV by decade has at least one entry, as well.

RE-EDIT: Categories by decade/century for Theatre are almost done, too - at least as far back as Shakespeare.

Feel free to add more work pages to the appropriate categories...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Today's wiki is brought to you by the number 503... Sad

This means I can't look through and find a fan work (fanfic, fan art, whatever) made in the 1980s. I need one of those to complete the Category:Fan Works by decade list. Can anybody think of one? (a Trekkie's Tale is from the 1970s.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Outside of the Star Trek tie-in paperback of fan fiction published in ... 74? 75? I never encountered fan fiction until the middle 90s. Sorry, can't help you.
-- Bob

This is odd... Images aren't appearing on the wiki pages, at least not on my setup. If I tell Firefox to "View Image", I see the image, so it isn't a case of the image database disappearing.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Umbire brought this to my attention: we appear to have imported a template, {{clarify}}, from Wikipedia without adapting it to our needs. All it currently does is try to provide a link to a non-existent Wikipedia page called "Please clarify". Wikipedia's own "Clarify" template is more like a "Asking just for clarification is too vague, here are our specific templates for different kinds of clarification" page than anything else.

So... what do we want our Clarify template to do? Mimic Wikipedia? Or just go to a page that says, basically, "You're being obscure, stop it"?

EDIT: Actually, Wikipedia does have a Project-level "Please clarify" page, which is obviously the intended target of the {{clarify}} template. We can probably crib a lot of its content for our own page.
-- Bob

Managed to my knowledge completely remove the category redundancy with the Pokemon franchise. Images of the main pages with the categories affected (Pokemon categories not redundancied have not been) have been categorised and licensed correctly.

We can likely use WP as a template for clarify, as long as we don't also have 20 templates for each different clarification specialty, which no one will use and end up just using one template to mean all clarification anyway.
Could not open lock file for "mwstore://local-backend/local-public/a/a1/Wanted_comic.jpg". Make sure your upload directory is configured correctly and your web server has permission to write to that directory. See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:M...age/Manual:$wgUploadDirectory for more information.

Uploading files is causing problems.