Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
Is this a valid deletion for a YMMV page? I don't know the subject matter well enough, and the edit summary gives me reason to pause.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(09-22-2019, 04:24 PM)LulzKiller Wrote: Could not open lock file for "mwstore://local-backend/local-public/a/a1/Wanted_comic.jpg". Make sure your upload directory is configured correctly and your web server has permission to write to that directory. See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:M...age/Manual:$wgUploadDirectory for more information.

Uploading files is causing problems.

I haven't seen any images on the pages for the last few days, other than the images hosted on Wikimedia Commons. Could this be related?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just made a change to the Main Page.

The box at the bottom of the page, "We have more than just Trope And Works pages, below are the other major sections of the wiki:", now also contains "Mechanics of Writing | Actually using all this to write stories."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-22-2019, 08:06 PM)robkelk Wrote: Is this a valid deletion for a YMMV page? I don't know the subject matter well enough, and the edit summary gives me reason to pause.
I thought Geth and Doc had an agreement he would be allowed to do what he wanted per CM on the Wikia, while acknowledging the Miraheze CM situation was not going to change to his whims per consensus.

I know Geth is ill right now, so IDK if we will have to wait.
Quote:None of these are qualifiers by the trope's criteria and rules.
I wasn't aware that any of our tropes had rules. We are descriptive, not prescriptive.

That said, after rereading Complete Monster to be sure, I would think the deleted examples are a mixed bunch. The Locust are clearly CM in their initial appearances; by the very entry text they get a Freudian Excuse in GOW3, but the mantle of CM shifts to the queen, who certainly qualifies in my opinion. Maybe a bit of explicit text regarding the evolution of who is the Monster across the course of the franchise is needed, but there's no justification for the outright deletion.

Quote:I just made a change to the Main Page. ... The box at the bottom of the page, "We have more than just Trope And Works pages, below are the other major sections of the wiki:", now also contains "Mechanics of Writing | Actually using all this to write stories."
Oh, good, I hadn't even noticed we were missing that.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(09-22-2019, 10:10 PM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(09-22-2019, 08:06 PM)robkelk Wrote: Is this a valid deletion for a YMMV page? I don't know the subject matter well enough, and the edit summary gives me reason to pause.
I thought Geth and Doc had an agreement he would be allowed to do what he wanted per CM on the Wikia, while acknowledging the Miraheze CM situation was not going to change to his whims per consensus.

The person involved makes things awkward, yes. Set aside who made the edit and look at the edit itself - if I had made that edit and given that reason, would you be reverting it?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-23-2019, 07:15 AM)robkelk Wrote:

The person involved makes things awkward, yes. Set aside who made the edit and look at the edit itself - if I had made that edit and given that reason, would you be reverting it?
I think that's the problem - if it was a new user I would revert, if it was a crat like you, LT or Geth; i'd just figure you were working on the page yourself and cleaning it up. I'm not an expert on CM or any trope tbh.
(09-23-2019, 10:21 AM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 07:15 AM)robkelk Wrote:

I think that's the problem - if it was a new user I would revert, if it was a crat like you, LT or Geth; i'd just figure you were working on the page yourself and cleaning it up. I'm not an expert on CM or any trope tbh.

I'm slowly regaining my strength at the moment, but I can clarify, for once, this "rules" business has a point.

Tv Tropes originally had very few to none for the trope, and it became an utter free-for-all of edit warring by lunatics who take this crap way too seriously. Wikia is where most of these people continue the e-bloodshed when they got kicked off TV Tropes. I originally hired Doc on Wikia because they were happy to enforce some boundaries to keep the e-warring in check on our Wikia branch, and while it got a lot of noses out of joint, it ameliorated a problem that forced TV Tropes to apply rules to a normally subjective trope to cut down on the sheer malicious autistic slapfights.

To this day, TV Tropes is still known for cutting down the weeds on this topic by fencing in this subjective topic with some boundaries just to keep the problem contained, and us doing the same thing just keeps this lightning in it's bottle, the alternative is far worse.

Ergo, gentlemen, this is valid insofar as it keeps a far worse problem from arising in it's abscence.

P.S. - I of course am not pleased when Doc exceeded their mandate outside of this scope and hence they lost their ATT Miraheze mod bit as a result, but I did, however, appreciate how they brought a lot of order to what had once been a source of great chaos, and for once, TV Tropes has a policy that is worth emulating if only for reasons of keeping some sanity.
Given that, I wonder whether a dedicated CM Wiki is a good idea after all... even though I'm the one who suggested DocColress make one.

Oh, well. What's done cannot be undone.

Here's an approach at the same matter from a different - and probably better - angle. A less confrontational angle, at least. Most of the tropers here have already seen and replied to it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And it looks like Flow is borked tonight. I tried to respond to a thread on my own talk page in two different browsers, and got
Quote:[d9a969aea4314890579bb749] Caught exception of type Wikimedia\Rdbms\DBQueryError
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
...and I'm still getting it this morning, from a third browser on a separate machine 20 miles from where I was last night. Is this something one of the admins who knows more about the underpinnings of MediaWiki can look into, or do I need to kick it up to Phabricator?

UPDATE: I can create threads. I simply cannot reply to any.

FURTHER UPDATE: It was a complicated external link I had coded into my reply. Removing it eliminated the error.
-- Bob

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Blog:Cyberpunk_(TableTop)

A new user has decided to make a new article in the form of a blog, incorrect but no big deal, until you realise where the text comes from.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/T.../Cyberpunk
(09-19-2019, 05:03 PM)robkelk Wrote: This is odd... Images aren't appearing on the wiki pages, at least not on my setup. If I tell Firefox to "View Image", I see the image, so it isn't a case of the image database disappearing.
Found the issue, and it was at my end - Privacy Badger had decided static.miraheze.org was a tracker site and blocked all connections to it. I've dialed that down to "no third-party cookies" and the images are appearing again.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hmmmmm... Why isn't Umbire the Phantom an admin yet? (s)he's already doing the work of one.

Just sent a board-to-board message to Umbire the Phantom (making clear that it's as a troper, not as an admin), asking whether (s)he'd ever thought of it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I have no objection to elevating him/her.
-- Bob

Images appear to have gone away - static.temp.miraheze.org is showing 500 errors instead of files. I checked with two different browsers going through two different ISPs.

The freebie wiki and the "There's Nothing Better" private wiki are still showing files.

Is anyone else seeing this behaviour? (I.e. do we need to enter a Phabricator ticket?)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, I'm seeing it, too. In fact that's what I just entered this thread to report.
-- Bob

I was previously having problems seeing the Special Pages relating to files, like Uncategorised Images, so you might want to add that as evidence.
And just after I logged in to Phabricator, the images came back.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I really, really hate 503s after an extensive edit. I really do.
-- Bob

The most recent 503 storm has blown through, but in its wake left images MIA again.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. The reprieve lasted barely long enough for me to post that.
-- Bob

(09-26-2019, 08:34 AM)robkelk Wrote: Hmmmmm... Why isn't Umbire the Phantom an admin yet? (s)he's already doing the work of one.

Just sent a board-to-board message to Umbire the Phantom (making clear that it's as a troper, not as an admin), asking whether (s)he'd ever thought of it.
I've received a reply, which begins "I've considered it, sure, but ultimately I wouldn't want the position just yet at this point."

I'll answer saying the door will remain open ...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Maybe he feels three months is too small a time period to want admin. I get the humility.
What's the view on users using blog as a way of sandboxing articles, especially if they are originally TVT post-2012 pages? Because that's a topic of debate currently going on wiki-side and I don't want to overreach my powers.
If it's on the wiki, it's on the wiki. A blog can be seen by J. Random Visitor, and if it contains copyrighted material it exposes us to risk.
-- Bob