Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
(01-05-2020, 11:31 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(12-24-2019, 08:47 AM)robkelk Wrote: I did say that I'd wait until January... so expect a forum post on the matter on January 2.

And I didn't do that.

We're three days from the current set of tempbans ending. I'll wait until that happens - if more bans are required, then it will be more obvious that this particular anon is largely responsible for the proposal to effectively tempban all anon posting.

I've just proposed a three-month restriction on anon editing.

Does the FlowMention "ping" work in a foum post? (If not, then I won't do it again.)

EDIT: I've changed the sitenotice to point to the forum discussion. It's in a yellow box so that people have to work hard to not notice it.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Quote:It's in a yellow box so that people have to work hard to not notice it.
I dunno. Our anons have made it pretty damned clear they're capable of ignoring practically anything except the page they want to corrupt edit.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
That anonymous user at 77.207.75.83 is really starting to get on my nerves. They seem to assume that every fandom must have a rival fandom, and that I am some kind of primary source for information on them. I've suggested they go pose some of their questions to the wiki userbase in the forums, and they've basically refused, preferring to interrogate me with fucking stupid questions like "do you think Cinderella and Snow White fans have a rivalry?" They also seem to think that the comparison of two franchises in an article constitutes a fandom rivalry. <sigh>

EDIT: Jesus Harold Christ on a handtruck. "can you tell me then true rival movie franchise fandom ? please" This nimrod is now demanding that I tell them what rivalries exist.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I see he's also asking me questions on your talk page.

Can you deal with it for a few more days? I don't want to close the debate on whether to block all anons until everybody's had a decent chance to have their say. (And there's always a chance that the tide of opinion will reverse, too...)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, I can cope. If necessary I'll just ignore him until/unless he does something stupid and bannable.
-- Bob

The anonymous editor at 77.207.75.83 is either obsessed with the idea of contributing something to the Fandom Rivalry page without having any particular knowledge of any rivalry actually existing, or is deliberately trolling me. I'm moving for something more than just the usual "starting" tempban for him. Thoughts and opinions please?
-- Bob

As I said by board-to-board, I'll do the ban. Let's not have the person who he's annoying the most be the one who blocks him.

He's been warned repeatedly. I'd start with one week at a minimum, and am open to suggestions for anything longer.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I think 77.207.75.83's antics earlier this morning testify more to "obsessed" than "troll" -- but it's pretty clear that he/she/it has no idea at all how the wiki functions on an organizational level.
-- Bob

Looks like 77.207.75.83 is throwing a tantrum about not being allowed to anonymously splat his illiterate obsessions all over the wiki. I may have gone a little overboard in my response, but I said nothing inappropriate and nothing false.
-- Bob

And now he's spewing foul language ... and random CSS attributes? I am confused but not cut to the quick by his wit.

Rob or anyone else, I'd prefer if you did the honors in banning him.
-- Bob

I just threw that abusive troll out.

I saw that foul garbage he was spewing, and I intend to have a zero tolerance policy for people like that.
Thanks.
-- Bob

.troll { display: none } 
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(01-15-2020, 12:13 PM)GethN7 Wrote: I just threw that abusive troll out.

I saw that foul garbage he was spewing, and I intend to have a zero tolerance policy for people like that.

Again, thank you. And it's probably best that you dropped the banhammer, since Bob and I had both communicated with him previously - this way, it's obvious that there was nothing personal.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
On the subject of other annoyances, we've been getting a lot of Russian spammers recently. Instead of deleting the messages outright, I was thinking we might change their subjects and contents to something like "Overthrow Putin! Visit this IP to join the resistance!" (after banning the IPs of course, and locking the threads, too)
-- Bob

I suggested something similar to combat Russian wholesale-copying of fanfic sites. Why not?

We'd need to get a proper Russian translation of the text to use, though.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That's probably where the idea bubbled up out of my hindbrain from.

I suppose running it through Google translate would be insufficient... maybe I can ask one of my coworkers, Oleg... First we'd need some proper texts to work from, though.
-- Bob

(12-26-2019, 10:38 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Anyone else think Infinite was fishing for a reason to leave in a huff and accuse us of being like TVT?  Given some of the other threads he was in, it was almost like he was looking for something to get upset over, and he got impatient and had to manufacture an incident to satisfy himself.

Infinite came back... at least long enough to try to add me as a foe.

Again I ask: why do we even have that button?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-17-2020, 10:43 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(12-26-2019, 10:38 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Anyone else think Infinite was fishing for a reason to leave in a huff and accuse us of being like TVT?  Given some of the other threads he was in, it was almost like he was looking for something to get upset over, and he got impatient and had to manufacture an incident to satisfy himself.

And he's asked again. I'm going to let the request sit in my queue.

Again: Why do we even have that button? What extension is it part of? How can we get rid of it? It doesn't mesh well with our Core Policy of "Play nice".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-18-2020, 12:01 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(01-17-2020, 10:43 PM)robkelk Wrote:

And he's asked again. I'm going to let the request sit in my queue.

Again: Why do we even have that button? What extension is it part of? How can we get rid of it? It doesn't mesh well with our Core Policy of "Play nice".

It's bundled with SocialProfile and cannot be disabled on it's own.

I could try a hacky on-site piece of code to hide the feature, but I can't guarantee all it's functions will be disabled. Honestly, I consider it purely cosmetic, as it does nothing in any meaningful way to affect anyone, it just let's you say you like or dislike someone but has no power outside of that.
Fair enough. Although being asked twice in as many days to approve the same user as a foe shows me that this particular user probably doesn't think it's purely cosmetic.

Switching gears... It's now the 19th, going by UTC. I've promised folks another half-day to comment on the proposal to turn off anon posting.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-16-2019, 08:03 PM)robkelk Wrote: Hoping we don't need to use this, but better to have it and not need it.
  1. Login to the wiki with Bureaucrat rights
  2. Select "Manage this wiki's permissions" from the bureaucrat-only menu
  3. Select group "*" to edit
  4. Remove these rights: createpage , createtalk , edit
  5. Commit the changes

It's been 18 hours since I promised 12-18 hours more for comments.

It's done. (EDIT: And tested.) Please remind me on February 18 that we're going to review the need for this.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Did we put up a banner announcing that the change was now in effect?
-- Bob

I didn't even realise anonymous posting wass possible uintil I saw the porporsal to ban it and by then it was done thing. It just makes sense.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(01-19-2020, 06:50 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Did we put up a banner announcing that the change was now in effect?

We did. And it includes a statement that we'll review the decision, and when.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown