Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
Could somebody who has some time check whether this list is up to date, please?

Judging solely by how short the list is at the moment (10 entries), I'm wondering whether some pages have been missed.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I created that category the first time we discovered, by accident, an un-banned page, and it's generally only been updated when we stumble across something else that's been returned since the fork. By all rights, any and all subpages under the current population should also be added, including all the individual rape tropes. Beyond that, the effort would basically require checking every page on the "Banned on TV Tropes" category against TVT.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(01-26-2020, 02:57 PM)robkelk Wrote: Looks like 502 and 503 is the wiki's way of telling me to take a break.

I got the "Uncategorized Categories" list down below 500 entries (most of which, I'm sure, actually have categories but aren't noted as such in the database because of one or another glitch), so the list now fits on one big page instead of three. "Uncategorized Files" is also down below 900 files.

I'm sure these would go faster if looking at a page didn't show me other errors that should be fixed...

That list is now below 100 entries -- every single one of which needs more attention than simply adding a category to the category. Still plugging away at it...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And I'm still slowly going through the works without "tropelist" or some variant on them... I'm near the end of the "L"s, but I've left behind about 20 or pages that also need more attention than just putting the right template on them.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(01-29-2020, 09:07 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(01-26-2020, 02:57 PM)robkelk Wrote: Looks like 502 and 503 is the wiki's way of telling me to take a break.

I got the "Uncategorized Categories" list down below 500 entries (most of which, I'm sure, actually have categories but aren't noted as such in the database because of one or another glitch), so the list now fits on one big page instead of three. "Uncategorized Files" is also down below 900 files.

I'm sure these would go faster if looking at a page didn't show me other errors that should be fixed...

That list is now below 100 entries -- every single one of which needs more attention than simply adding a category to the category. Still plugging away at it...

Almost there - 14 left to go. It's been a long and frustrating day, and this is the one thing I can point at and say it went well. (The list had over 1000 entries two weeks ago.) But I'm tired... maybe I'll finish it tomorrow.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Good news: The "Uncategorized categories" list is now empty.

Not-so-good news: I gave user "TVGarbage‎" an extra hour after Bob's deadline to reply passed. Tempblock is now in place. I think this is the first time I've used the new standard block reason "Attention-getter - NOT A PUNITIVE BAN - Please reply to the mod message on your User Talk page"...

EDIT: Oops - Bob said two days, but I game him three. Fixed.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
No point in working on the "Uncategorized pages" list - there's only three pages on it. Two of those pages aren't wanted any more, but can't be deleted by mere Administrators. The third page is the wiki's stylesheet.

Hmmmmm... there are still 665 "Uncategorized templates" (easy enough fix: add <noinclude>[[Category:Templates]]</noinclude> to each template) and 888 "Uncategorized files". We could finish clearing those lists by April...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Thank you for handling TVGarbage, Rob. Work got a little busy and I forgot to check back in.
-- Bob

Well, he's replied... but in a way that doesn't indicate understanding of the issue. I'll support whatever decision one of the other admins chooses to make on the tempblock.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Is anyone else having trouble deleting images? I'm getting:
Quote:Error deleting file: An unknown error occurred in storage backend "local-backend".

For now, I'm tagging files with the speedy-delete template.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, what group do I need to be a member of now to use Special:EditProfile? I stumbled over a recently-created user -- Rohitjoklar123 -- who is using his social profile page for search engine spam. I've banned him, but I apparently no longer have the rights to use EditProfile to get rid of the spam:

Quote:You do not have permission to update other users' social profiles, for the following reason:

You are not allowed to execute the action you have requested.

Edit: Paging back through the User Creation Log, I've also discovered (and banned)

User:Christinziegler
User:Robinsonsjaco
User:NathanDeMetz
User:Fullbodymassage
User:Flackflores
User: Dylanjoseph
User:Enterasource
User:Myapexdspa
User:Shanejohnson
User:Aoltechsupport21
User:Boxtaircon
User:Stefanwhite
User:Thutrangctp
User: Phamyen
User:Minecraft2
User:Alicetaylor
User:Saikumar
User:Karthik11k
User:Leathercollectionde

That's everything going back just a bit more than a year.

It would be real nice if someone could delete all this link spam. I'd do it myself, but... well...

It would also be nice if someone else helped me track down the ones older than a year. The next page of 300 has lots of unexpected blue links on user names...

And then there are some borderline cases:

User:KemonoCafe
User:KinexMedia
User:Registro de Morte - Jhessy Kimberlym

I'd like someone else to check these out and give me their opinion before I/we do anything.
-- Bob

IIRC, we might need to ask the stewards to clean up SocialProfile pages. Maybe.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hmm, just noticed the ban on DocColress ends in ten days. I'm sure everything will be fine.

I'm going to go stock up on food and guns now.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I'm sure he's too busy trash-talking us on his own wiki now to bother coming back to a place where people don't worship the ground he walks on.
-- Bob

Just checked whether the Complete Monster pages are protected (they are now), and noticed that Complete Monster/Criteria#Freudian Excuse Standard looks an awful lot like the original description that was on Trope Workshop:Freudian Excuse Is No Excuse.

If this was somebody trying an end-run around a community vote, I really don't appreciate it. If it wasn't, well... the page is up for deletion for a different reason anyway.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
As I just noted on the talk page, I'll give a few hours for anyone to try to argue us out of it, but after that (and assuming no convincing counterargument is produced) I'll pull the trigger.
-- Bob

Oh, the 503s are strong today...
-- Bob

Yeah - they're making it difficult to add crosslinks to the new ATT-namespace page
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Say, what's up with the Matomo Analytics page? Despite claiming that there are tabs with which to choose different datasets, all that's displayed and displayable is what appears to be a count of inbound links per day for the last few days.

Oh, and I just updated the History page, adding a few recent events.
-- Bob

(02-05-2020, 08:24 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'm sure he's too busy trash-talking us on his own wiki now to bother coming back to a place where people don't worship the ground he walks on.

Bob, I want to pleasantly surprise you.

He hasn't been doing that. If anything, he's more than well aware he will likely never be as welcome as he was before, but he still hopes we can be cordial, and I've been in frequent communication with him helping his fork get off the ground because I figure since he wanted to run his own place so bad, I could show him what it's like to have to make the rules like we did, and while he's got a ways to go, he's actually learning that making hard choices that will displease certain people for the good of the community is regrettable but occasionally necessary.

I made it pretty clear to him the CM stuff is likely never coming back to our fork, he's down with that. Still doesn't like it, but has accepted that. Is well aware he's going to have start at the bottom and will likely never have any sort of power on any branch of ATT again, he's accepted that too.

Whether he's learned anything else, we'll see how it goes, but he's had a few months to get the spastic rage out of his system and has been much more calm with me at least, and if he wants to be a guest in our home after the block expires, so long as he sticks to that, fine, so be it, I think we can deal with that amicably.
Thanks for the update, Geth. I hope Doc won't take it amiss if I don't reply to any friend or foe request he might make - I'm not replying to any of those nowadays.

And I just edited Bob's update to the History page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, well, sorry if I'm a little less forgiving, given as I was one of the ones he was trash-talking even before he left here.

EDIT: And the part you snipped, Rob? As Geth testified some time back, it was what he was doing until he got some sense talked into him. Truth is an absolute defense against libel.
-- Bob

It may be an absolute defense, but that doesn't stop a lawsuit from being started. And do we really want to sink to that level?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Noticed that the DPL3 documentation is no longer on the live web. I've scrounged the wayback machine and put a copy onto the private There's Nothing Better wiki, at "DPL:Manual" and pages linked from that page.

The documentation is CC-BY-NC-SA, so I couldn't just drop it onto ATT... and it'll need to be removed from the private wiki if we make that public. A few of the pages need cleanup.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, I almost reverted the changes to the History page, then noticed that I had put some kind of emotional stuff on the same page in the past. Still, let's try not to portray ourselves in too much of negative light there.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto