Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cursed Thread of 2020
RE: The Cursed Thread of 2020
Writer and blogger Chris Meadows, known better on the 'net as Robotech_Master, passed on this morning.

He was struck in a hit-and-run the other day and suffered severe head injuries, and never regained consciousness. This morning he went into cardiac arrest and did not recover.

https://teleread.org/2020/10/14/r-i-p-ch...-his-life/
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
In distinctly un-Amazing news, James Randi has died at 92 this past Tuesday.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/t...dies-at-92
-Now available with copious trivia!
Iconic Minnesota Sports reporter Sid Hartman dead at age 100 https://www.startribune.com/sid-hartman-...572788662/
"Some people are the apple of your eye. Others are just a pie in your face. Apples, maaan. Stick with them." -- Pascal (Animal Crossing: New Horizons)
The most iconic 007 of all time, Sir Sean Connery, has passed away at age 90.  He also played other roles... https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54761824

Here's a charming idea... lets rewind to this time last year and try again?
Just as I knew all of Life's Answers... they changed all the Questions!!
Quote:
There is one thing you don't put in a trap, if you're smart, if you value your continued existance, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there is one thing you never, ever put in a trap.
And what would that be sir?
Me.
- Dr Who
Decades ago, a friend of mine pointed out that while posters for the films often said, "__ as James Bond," Connery was the only actor for whom such an advertisement ever read "Sean Connery is James Bond" (You Only Live Twice, 1967, and the underlining of "is" was part of the poster).

I'll just add that the poster image, showing 007 surrounded by beauties in a large Japanese bath, was re-used for a Demotivator reading, "CHARISMA:  There are reasons not to make it a dump stat...."
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Ah sure. He went to sleep and just didn't wake up. Nothing wrong with that. We should all be so lucky.

Also. ZARDOZ was a thing.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
of all things, the first movie i remember Sean Connery from was Highlander

loved his Bond, and going out with "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" was a hell of a cap to his career
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

5:30 and the phone rings. The dreaded (1) call has come ...

RIP Gertrud Kupries, beloved mom, June 17, 1944 to Nov 3, 2020.

No website, no news to link to, which would mention that passing, nobody important to the World. Just me, my sister, pops, friends and relatives. Born near the end of WW2, second youngest of five sisters, grown up during the german rebuilding, worked as a maid, married my father, a stay-at-home mom to me and my sister, a cleaner for hire, a night nurse, a painter in retirement. I am proud that she used some of my pics from around Vancouver for some of her paintings.

And F*k cancer.

(1) She became unconscious last Tuesday, a few hours after I spoke with her on the phone. Since then it was just waiting for the body to follow. But she knew she was loved.
(11-03-2020, 09:38 AM)aku Wrote: 5:30 and the phone rings. The dreaded (1) call has come ...

No website, no news to link to, which would mention that passing, nobody important to the World. Just me, my sister, pops, friends and relatives. Born near the end of WW2, second youngest of five sisters, grown up during the german rebuilding, worked as a maid, married my father, a stay-at-home mom to me and my sister, a cleaner for hire, a night nurse, a painter in retirement. I am proud that she used some of my pics from around Vancouver for some of her paintings.

And F*k cancer.

(1) She became unconscious last Tuesday, a few hours after I spoke with her on the phone. Since then it was just waiting for the body to follow. But she knew she was loved.

Condolences. Parents are important. Particularly mothers. I personally still daily miss my father and he's been gone 6 years.

She knew she was loved. That's important. Focus on the good memories.
You have our deepest sympathies, aku.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(11-03-2020, 10:14 AM)Shader Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 09:38 AM)aku Wrote: 5:30 and the phone rings. The dreaded (1) call has come ...

And F*k cancer.

Condolences. Parents are important. Particularly mothers. I personally still daily miss my father and he's been gone 6 years.

Oh I do (hoarse voice).
Even so, the heavy rain for Vancouver right now, and the lesser in the forecast for the rest of week feels very fitting.
(11-03-2020, 10:34 AM)aku Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 10:14 AM)Shader Wrote:

And F*k cancer.

Oh I do (hoarse voice).
Even so, the heavy rain for Vancouver right now, and the lesser in the forecast for the rest of week feels very fitting.

Yeah. As I mentioned to the preacher when she apologized for the rain at my own mother's funeral, even heaven is crying.

I grieve with you.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown

And F*k cancer.

My deepest condolences.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
I am so sorry for your pain.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Geoffrey Palmer, British actor, at 93.  My mother was a big fan of As Time Goes By, one of the shows he starred in (with Dame Judi Dench), and nearly all of my exposure to him was through seeing episodes of that while visiting her.

Quote:His world-weary demeanour made him instantly recognisable although it did not reflect his real character. "I'm not grumpy," he once said. "I just look this way."
-----
Alex Trebek has gone to the great game show in the sky Sad
https://globalnews.ca/news/7450091/alex-...es-cancer/
This famous Canadian-born game-show host passed away from complications due to cancer.

Who was Alex Trebek?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
RIP Howie Meeker
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-06-2020, 03:32 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: 2020 sucks.

quoted for truth over and above those we lost this year.  In a lot of ways, come this thanksgiving I know what I am going to be thankful for.  That Most of these folks died of OTHER causes than THAT (BLEEPED BLEEPED BLEEPED) Virus.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
RiP Akira Kubodera
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
After another support cable let go, the Arecibo Radio Telescope Observatory has been declared Not Safely Repairable and is to be decommissioned.

RIP, Arecibo, 1963-2020.

https://www.space.com/arecibo-observator...-destroyed
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
RIP Kirby Morrow
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
David Dinkins, first black mayor of New York City, age 93
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Diego Maradona Age 60, Heart Attack.
RIP Fred Sasakamoose, one of the first indigenous players in the NHL.

COVID
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown