Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XVII
Just took a look at recent changes. New user "Bigmanhelperhouseman" might be somebody to watch, in a good way - two minor changes so far, both to make pages more understandable.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
What trope is shown in the last two panels here?

It isn't "I Take Offense to That Last One", because that's specifically for a list of insults, and Twilight Sparkle isn't being insulted.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Which trope is this?

It isn't Lampshade Hanging, I think. We don't appear to have anything for meta-comedy.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Captain Obvious plus Don't Explain The Joke?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Just noticed that although the notice on the edit page for Donald Trump says that "This page has been protected so that only users with administrator privileges can edit it", its protection level is actually limited to merely logged-in users. Which one is correct? Should the protection level be raised to match the notice, or the notice modified to match the protection level?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
That notice is in the MediaWiki software - we'd have to submit a bug report to fix it.

With anon editing disabled, one needs to be a logged-in user in order to edit anything, so we could simply unprotect the page. But we could alternately set the protection to Autoconfirmed users, splitting the difference between logged-in and admin.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's not been a problem yet, but I do favor raising the protection level.
-- Bob

We might want to keep an eye on new user Bhehehehe. He hasn't made a lot of edits yet, and in general they're good edits, grammatically and so one. But every once in a while he adds something about Islam that, while technically correct, is just a bit... off to my mind.
-- Bob

You guys might get a good laugh at TV Tropes' expense out of this:

https://allthetropes.fandom.com/wiki/Mes...0000012755

I just got a report TV Tropes is BLOCKED by someone's school as a HATE SITE. Yes, really.

P.S. - After testing out the latest page dump on localhost, I like to recommend we ask our Miraheze overlords to flush the LiquidThreads extension tables and we should have all pages that are remnants or link to them removed/edited. It's mostly there for archival purposes for like barely a dozen or some pages as part of our Reviews namespace, and Flow does everything it did better (and converted what could be converted anyway), Besides, in the event we need to restore from a backup again, this is just gonna cause us hassles in the dump importation.

All pages that have "/LQT Archive 1" subpages would need to be removed and salted, which is not very many.
I suspect I would be enjoying far more schadenfreude were it still under Fast Eddie's control; from what I hear of Drew from second-hand sources, he sounds like a decent sort.

Then again Fighteer is still a TVT admin, as far as I know; I wouldn't doubt that this could be laid at his mudstained feet.
-- Bob

(10-19-2020, 04:14 PM)GethN7 Wrote: You guys might get a good laugh at TV Tropes' expense out of this:

https://allthetropes.fandom.com/wiki/Mes...0000012755

I just got a report TV Tropes is BLOCKED by someone's school as a HATE SITE. Yes, really.

Oh, dear... I've seen false positives in the past (including Privacy Badger's blocking of ATT images as tracking cookies), but not on that scale.

(And I've made the same edit on the Miraheze copy of the wiki that that poster asked permission to make on the Wikia fork. Errors of fact should be corrected when broght to one's attention, after all.)

(10-19-2020, 04:14 PM)GethN7 Wrote: P.S. - After testing out the latest page dump on localhost, I like to recommend we ask our Miraheze overlords to flush the LiquidThreads extension tables and we should have all pages that are remnants or link to them removed/edited. It's mostly there for archival purposes for like barely a dozen or some pages as part of our Reviews namespace, and Flow does everything it did better (and converted what could be converted anyway), Besides, in the event we need to restore from a backup again, this is just gonna cause us hassles in the dump importation.

All pages that have "/LQT Archive 1" subpages would need to be removed and salted, which is not very many.

You and Labster know the technical details of the wiki better than I do. I defer to your superior knowledge here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Took a closer look, and yeah, all pages ending with a "/LQT Archive 1" really need to die, they cause all sorts of database weirdness and are functionally useless for our needs.

In fact, they are absolutely corrupted and we already have healthy conversions of all the relevant material.

Going to look into just how widespread the issue is and ask Miraheze via Phabricator to find a way to purge them all.
Somebody who has some time should go through the articles linked from this page and get data (not wording - that text is copyrighted) for the matching ATT works and Useful Notes pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Posted this to Phabricator to fix the LQT Archive 1 page bugs

https://phabricator.miraheze.org/T6336

Given they are spread out over several talk namespaces and fundamentally broken for our needs, I asked for assistance in mass flushing them.

Edit: Most of this I can do myself. Many of these pages can be deleted, but some are "phantom" pages that need "created" so they can be deleted due to the database corruption leaving ghost records. I asked all the old LiquidThread tables be dumped from the ATT Miraheze database since they are unused corrupt relics and may cause us hassles if we need to restore from an XML dump in the future.

Edit 2: Discovered we have a lot of leftover Complete Monster Talk pages that I'm killing per policy and to avoid further hassles with the LQT Archive pages, I'm removing all references to them where I can find them because anything connected with it has database errors out the wazoo.

On a different topic, I'd like to make a proposal. The Reviews namespace is nice, but it's gone so criminally underused I'd like to vote we retire it and shutter that idea. It was a nice idea, but it's little more than glorified talk pages and part of the reason I discovered all of our database issues was because most of our reviews have LQT counterparts that were the tipoff we had a lot of database crap we needed to fix via the above. Another reason is that fixing those pages if they break will cause similar hassles and putting Flow style talk pages in a main-style page format could lead to some ugly issues if they get corrupted in the future, since those glorified talk pages have talk pages of their own and if the data get farbled, fixing that could be confusing.
I have an archive of all the reviews that Brent gave me some years ago. It's been lurking about as a "get around to it" task -- bringing them back into the wiki. I wouldn't mind just using plain wiki pages to do it, maybe with a little special formatting, possibly a "{{review}}" template for them, whatever it might end up being.
-- Bob

(10-21-2020, 06:41 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I have an archive of all the reviews that Brent gave me some years ago.  It's been lurking about as a "get around to it" task -- bringing them back into the wiki.  I wouldn't mind just using plain wiki pages to do it, maybe with a little special formatting, possibly a "{{review}}" template for them, whatever it might end up being.

Fair enough, sounds good to me, we'd just need to back up the 30 or so pages with reviews in a non Flow friendly format so those don't get flushed in the shuffle.

Already been removing all the LQT stuff, there are about 3000 or so pages I need to either scrape of remnants or outright delete for being corrupted, none of which should harm existing content in any meaningful way. Unfortunately, all of this cannot be done by bot, it must be done manually.

Edit: Already cleared out a ton of corrupted pages and LQT remnants. As a nice bonus, all remaining shreds of the Complete Monster stuff we wanted to chuck have been purged too. Still have a lot more to clean up, but I've blowtorched quite a bit already. Hopefully this should get rid of a lot of database garbage.
Okay, sometime this weekend I'll dig into the archive, see what format things are in, and maybe start designing the "review" template.
-- Bob

(10-22-2020, 07:27 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, sometime this weekend I'll dig into the archive, see what format things are in, and maybe start designing the "review" template.

Sounds good, Bob.

In the meantime, I have just finished all known LQT cleanup, here is a post-mortem.

Before we used Flow for talk pages, we used LiquidThreads, and before that regular talk pages briefly. 

LQT did not convert everything well to Flow. Many pages were butchered beyond repair, some were greatly corrupted, and thanks to conversion issues in the LQT backups, all those records for LQT archives were corrupted.

This issue affected all pages using Flow or otherwise in Talk namespaces, so the following was done:

1. All LQT archives have been deleted.
2. All pages too corrupt to be saved deleted.
3. All pages blank save for LQT remnants deleted.
4. Some pages were created then deleted to flush ghost records that produced errors when viewing the page content and history.
5. Most pages that could be saved were edited only to remove the LQT remnants generally shoved into the description sidebar on Flow pages
6. Lots of template spam specific to the Flow conversion has been removed to improve page load times, some pages were loading slowly due to lingering database issues this was able to clear up.

There are still some possible remnants I missed, but at this point, I can say anything noticable to most tropers and readers should be gone.
As an addendum to Geth's report, we had one very industrious spammer early this morning, Bhehehehe abandoned all pretense of making good edits in favor of spewing hate and was promptly tempbanned, and an annoyance from several months ago returned and was promptly kicked back out when he demonstrated his only reason to be back was to be a putz.
-- Bob

(10-22-2020, 03:41 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: ... abandoned all pretense of making good edits in favor of spewing hate and was promptly tempbanned, and an annoyance from several months ago returned and was promptly kicked back out when he demonstrated his only reason to be back was to be a putz.
Me being a paranoid git on occasion, I still wonder whether these are connected.

(Shifts topics so hard you can hear the clutch pop)

I never had an account on TVT, so I don't know what the license options were back in 2012 for file uploads. And I'm seeing more than a few images of Trope-tan that we inherited from TVT in the fork.

Is it safe for me to assume these are all CC-BY-SA 3.0 (in this case the "BY" would have to be TVT), or do I have to leave them with unknown license terms, or does something else apply?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-22-2020, 03:41 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: ... his only reason to be back was to be a putz.

Speaking of, do we have a trope for "character who sits back and complains that the people who are actually doing something aren't doing enough work"?

E.g., Yukari-sensei from Azumanga Daioh during the second beach-house episode. Need two more examples that aren't this dude in order to start a Trope Workshop page if we don't have it already.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It certainly doesn't ring a bell with me.
-- Bob

In that case, two more examples and I can toss "Too Lazy to Help" into the Trope Workshop. Needs a Better Title.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I have some good news guys. If you like the "Refreshed" skin option, I just fixed the bugs in it so it's now usable.

The Apex and Metrolook skins have some minor errors I'm going to work on as well.

Update: Apex is okay now, Metrolook I left alone because the cure to the minor visual weirdness was worse than the disease, still usable regardless.
I'm creating categories for literature by language, since the page "Non-English Literature" is tagged as needing to be turned into a category.

This one needs a lot of work... as in, I've only tagged 14 pages with it so far when I know there are hundreds if not thousands of pages that should have it.

EDIT,an hour later: Okay, "Non-English Literature" no longer exists even as a redirect to "Category:Literature by language", since it was an Orphaned Page. "Category:Literature by language" shows up on "Category:Literature", so people have a chance of finding it. And, yeah, most if not all of the categories listed at "Category:Literature by language" need more works listed under them.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown